Yak-Trax

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
I went up the Mt. Kinsman Trail to Bald Knob this afternoon to get some fresh air and grab a view of Moosilauke in the new snow (gorgeous). It's been socked in here for several days until it cleared this afternoon. I tried out my new Yak-Trax as conditions were ideal for this kind of traction device--lots of ice in the trail and little snow cover. It was slippery but even instep crampons would have been painful. (I broke an ankle once in these conditions so try to be careful now.) This was the first time I used the Yak-Trax. They seemed to work well on the way up. By the time I got to the top, however, I discovered that the right one was missing, so I led with the left foot on the way down until I found it. Halfway down, the other Yak-Trax came off too and I retraced to find it. I had fitted these things carefully when I started out, and they seemed to be the correct size and to grip the rands on my (summer) boots well. I'll try them once more and tie them on over my arch somehow, but I think they'll mainly be useful for getting across the icy driveway. I guess you get what you pay for--$20. Snow will solve this problem soon enough!

Spend the extra $10 and get the Yaktrax Pro which has a strap that will prevent them from falling off. It keeps them better centered as well.

I like Yaktrax because they give just enough extra traction when barebooting is dangerous but crampons are overkill. I took two pretty bad falls last time I used them though -- I had switched from crampons to yaktrax and failed to adjust my footing to the different traction device. I'm surprised I didn't break both of my elbows. Worse was my girlfriend was out with me and now she gets all nervous whenever I want to go on solo hikes when it's icy out.

I've loved my Yaktrax for years ... only I use them for what they were intended: for light to medium duty dog walking!

I think you're asking a bit much to go climbing in them, but I know that doesn't take away from the frustrating day on the trails.

There are a few similar devices that strap on more securely and might work better, but Yaktrax are specifically made for ease of use (just slip them on, probably even blindfolded and go.) Maybe some extra strapping will do the trick? Good luck!

The extra strap helps keep them in place pretty good. I usually have to adjust them once or twice if I use them for a while but in general, they stay put.

As far as use, I agree -- they're good for light ice walking. However, they've been fantastic for trails like Osceola or even Crawford Path. With a little care I was able to walk across ice like normal. They work best if you have places to really dig your poles in or atleast some handholds to grab onto. When I hiked down Edmonds Path recently, I opted for crampons instead of yaktrax because it was just too steep for me to trust them (yaktrax) enough. My girlfriend opted to use her yaktrax instead of her crampons. Go figure. When I switched eventually to yaktrax, I fell twice. One time I almost lost consciousness I fell so hard. It was weird -- it didn't hurt that bad and I didn't even have a bruise or even minor pain afterwards, but I hit my elbow so hard on the fall that I nearly blacked out. I've never had that happen before. Plus I did it right in front of my girlfriend so she thinks I'm going to kill myself next time I go out alone. Thanks a lot, Yaktrax ;)

I have the Yak Trax Pro's with the strap and it helps. Although they still slip off the front of my boots occaisionally, with the straps it keeps them on the back, so I don't end up losing them. Overall, they've worked pretty well for me on the trails when there's just a little bit of ice.

You might want to try stabilicers instead... they seem to work a little better for hiking than the Yak Trax. (Don't own them, but have hiked with many people who have them.)

-- Ivy

Yak - Trax

I've looked at the stabilicers in the store and they feel very heavy holding them in my hands. I would think the weight would be very noticible once they were on your feet but haven't heard anyone comment on this.

kiteflyer said:
I've looked at the stabilicers in the store and they feel very heavy holding them in my hands. I would think the weight would be very noticible once they were on your feet but haven't heard anyone comment on this.

They don't feel heavy on my feet at all. They do tend to slip off, but I bought the Large size, and my boots are at the bottom end of 'large' as per the package. If you put your gators on last, they at least will not fall off completely.

As for performance, they work well for what they are intended for. I used them this past weekend on an icy trail, and they never lost their grip. But the trail was not particularly steep.

Yak Trax

For ice fishing they are great. They make a huge differnce walking on ice compared to just boots. I imagine they give you a slightly larger margin of error for any more rigorous use, but i wouldn't count on them in severe conditions.

Get the bright colored ones - they do come off occasionally, and the bright colors make them easier to find in the snow.

Rob

Stabilices work fine. They don't feel heavy and with the straps that come with them I don't see how they could fall off. And at least in my estimation they are many times more rugged than Yak-trax.

I might also observe that if you hiked part way up the mountain after the thing fell off without you noticing, they could not have been doing much good.

Last edited:
Great replies. Thanks all. I've been in Boston for the last two days, not hiking unfortunately, although I did walk by Joy St. I wish I'd known about the "pro" Yak-Trax before I bought the suburban models. I'll see if I can retrofit them with a strap. I'm not home yet but I'm hoping the snowfall is heavy enough to put an end to the ice trails and make real crampons the things to use.

Stabilicers look like they would be tough to beat. Take it from experience, don't waste your time with the Surefoot Get-a-Grip. I have a pair for ice fishing, and they border on useless. The steel pins are only a 1/16 th of an inch long, and just don't dig in far enough.

Stabilizers vs Crampons vs Yaks

I went up Moosilauke the other day and the trail was snow covered and icy higher up. Yaks in my experience, would not have done the trick (and I also have had trouble keeping them on), crampons would have been overkill except on the summit, but the stabilizers were a perfect option offering just enough traction. They were easy to put on and didn't need any adjusting.

I have tried the stabilizers for running on trails also and have found them to be awkward affecting my stride. Stabilizers, however, have worked fine as long as their is a covering of snow or ice.

Get-a-grip loses; my Yaktrax kept shifting under my boot (didn't try the Pro version -- I am skeptical) & finally one of them broke. I just got a pair of Stabilicers a few wks ago (EMS sale! :D ), they look like the right solution for people like me who do minor winter hiking but not hard-core winter ice incline stuff.

I've found Yaks are very functional even on steep(ish) icy inclines, but the slipping off problem is VERY prevalent even with the pro version, and is more than a minor annoyance if you have to adjust them 5x on a hike especially in frostbite conditions.

My pair tore on Lafayette a few weeks ago with less than 100 miles of hiking in them - debating if I should drive down to Campmor and dish out another $20.

I doubt they are much good for hiking up on ice, but the surefoot get a grip i used all winter on my sneakers for road running. I found them completely reliable and never slipped on hard packed snow or ice on the roads, and I must have run a few hundred miles in them.

YakTrax

Was out Sat. on Madison. What I saw was this:
The Pros I used, worked good for some traction going up but not that great for above treeline & moved around too much coming down. Now that I tried them, Crampons would have been my choice up high & bare boot was the way to go on the decent further down.
The others that used the Standard ones and the Stabilicers had problems keeping them from coming off. So................For $30.00, get the Pros, BUT BRING YOUR CRAMPONS and use the right gear for the right stuff!
Tom

Stabilicers rule! Just had an occasion to use them -- my driveway was covered in wet ice last night & with the icers on I had really good traction. I'll have to compare it to the Yaktraks but I would be somewhat hesitant... my driveway reaches a 16% grade at one point & I don't remember the yaktraks biting into ice that well.

wildpeaks said:
The others that used the Standard ones and the Stabilicers had problems keeping them from coming off.
really? the 'icers seem to have a good solid means of attachment...