Year-End Hikes, Any Interest, 12/27/2010 - 1/1/2011???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Here’s a little advance notice on our plans in case there is anybody interested in getting some hiking in next week and wants to join the fun.

Sue and I are planning to get in a few hikes next week to close out the year and get the new one started. Here are our Plan A and Plan B targets. Right now, it looks like our first hike day will be 12/27 and we’ll skip one day during the week. January 1 will be our last hike-day for the week.

Plan A:

December:
Zealand/Bonds Traverse (south to north this time, with Zealand, without Hale)
Franconia Ridge Traverse (all four)
Owl’s Head
Twins & Galehead (Little River – Beaver Brook traverse)

January 1: Tripyramids or Garfield

Plan B Hikes for December Dates:

Jackson & Waumbek
Tripyramids
Garfield
M. Carter & Moriah
Isolation
Cabot

The only definite we have for the week is to hike The Bonds on the first good day. We’ll build around it from there. I hope to have the hike schedule worked out over the next day or two.

By now you all know we hike a moderate pace, a little over book time in winter.

If you’re interested in any of these or have any questions, please respond here or send an email or PM.

:D

I have a hike on the 28th, other than that, I'm free. If you do the Trips, were you going up the north slide? I've been wanting to do the north slide in winter for awhile. :eek:

I have a hike on the 28th, other than that, I'm free. If you do the Trips, were you going up the north slide? I've been wanting to do the north slide in winter for awhile. :eek:

Great. I hope to have a target schedule sorted out in the next day or two.

Tripyramids via the north slide would depend on the weather of course but climbing that thing in winter would be twisted fun :eek:. I'm pretty sure Sue would agree and have a smile on her face.

No fair - I want to climb it in the ice... But I have to work all week :( oh well, you do it first, if you don't die, we'll do it together later this winter :)

Here's the "first cut" at a plan for next week. We're not hiking on Tuesday.

12/27: Franconia Ridge Traverse (N-S)

12/28: Not Hiking

12/29: Bonds Traverse (S-N)

12/30: Tripyramids via North Slide (From Waterville Valley)

12:31: Owl’s Head (From Lincoln Woods)

1/1: Twins and Galehead Traverse (Little River Road to Beaver Brook)

If anybody is interested in any or all of these and you need more information, please respond here or by PM and I'll be happy to fill in the blanks.

Ok, since I’m not Superman, I doubt I can do a Bonds Traverse and then hike the North Slide the next day, so as much as I want to do another winter Bonds Traverse, I know there will be another in the offering come Jan or Feb, so I’m throwing in for the North Slide extravaganza.

Here's the "first cut" at a plan for next week. We're not hiking on Tuesday.

12/27: Franconia Ridge Traverse (N-S)

12/28: Not Hiking

12/29: Bonds Traverse (S-N)

12/30: Tripyramids via North Slide (From Waterville Valley)

12:31: Owl’s Head (From Lincoln Woods)

1/1: Twins and Galehead Traverse (Little River Road to Beaver Brook)

When are you resting????? This is KILLER!!!! :eek:

When are you resting????? This is KILLER!!!! :eek:

Tuesday and again on Sunday. ;)

It's a tough schedule but the hikes on Thursday and Friday should help with a recharge. The Tripyramids will have a relatively late start and Owl's Head isn't really a tough hike but it will have an early start. :rolleyes:

So, which are the ones you'll join the fun on? There must be something on this line-up that interests you.

:)

Ok, since I’m not Superman,

Hey isn't PB a more powerful super hero than Superman?
Big Earl, I want to get out once more before the year's end. I'm eyeing your trip for the 27th. I have family visiting all week from NJ and plans I can't get out of for the 29th and 30th. Need to check in with happenings at home before I commit.
Happy holidays!

Hey isn't PB a more powerful super hero than Superman?
Big Earl, I want to get out once more before the year's end. I'm eyeing your trip for the 27th. I have family visiting all week from NJ and plans I can't get out of for the 29th and 30th. Need to check in with happenings at home before I commit.
Happy holidays!

Early Bird - I hope everything falls into place for you to join the hike. It will be terrific to see you and hike together again. I'll get the meet times posted in the next day or two.

Earl

We're doing the Bonds from Z hut on the 29th, hope to see you (I'll bring extra Christmas cookies)!

Tuesday and again on Sunday. ;)

So, which are the ones you'll join the fun on? There must be something on this line-up that interests you.

:)

OK, you get to rest but that's A LOT of days in a row!!!

I'll be in the woods next week for sure, but who knows where (or when :D) I'll end up...

Here are the target meet times for next week's planned hikes.

12/27: Franconia Ridge Traverse – 6:00am at Basin on northbound I-93 to spot a vehicle and head for OBP/FWT trailhead and the hike. On-trail target ~6:30am.

12/28: skip

12/29: Bonds Traverse – 4:00 – 4:15am at winter lot on Route 302 in Twin Mountain to consolidate gear, spot a vehicle, and head for Lincoln Woods and the hike. On-trail target ~5:00am.

12/30: Tripyramids via North Slide – 8:30am at Livermore trailhead lot. On-trail target as soon as we’re ready to hike.

12:31: Owl’s Head – 6:00am at Lincoln Woods. On-trail target ~6:30am.

1/1: Twins and Galehead Traverse – 6:00am at Beaver Brook Wayside Area to consolidate gear, spot a vehicle, and head for Little River Road and the hike. On-trail target 7:00am.

Recent reports seem to suggest we should have snowshoes, crampons, and light traction for these hikes.

Last edited:
I am out on the Monday trip. Tomorrow turned out to be the best day for me to get out. :( to be missing out on a long awaited Big Earl hike. I'll be looking for the TRs and always great pictures.

For reasons that should be obvious (snow & high wind), we cancelled on today's plans.

The remainder of the week's plans are still in place. Plan A for Wednesday is a S-N Bonds Traverse. There are currently three and possibly four on this hike. We have lots of room for more and would welcome the company.

Hopefully, the Blue Crew is still doing their N-S hike. I'm looking forward to some mid-hike cookies.

Latest posts