Your favorite gear that is no longer made?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNR

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a new bivy and I like TNF model I had...problem is, THF no longer makes it...I've tried Ebay but no luck so far. Got me thinking about the best pieces of gear that people own and use but is no longer made...any other ideas?

Problem is, if we use it and like it, the manufacturer probably knows this and will keep making it. Not for me in this case.

Patagonia winter pants

Patagonia used to make an amazing winter pant. Not Goretex, but a soft semi-impermeable (can sit on snow but won't work in a thunderstorm) layer on outside, microfleece inside. Weighed very little, easy to throw into a pack. Unfortunately it cost ~200 bucks and people won't buy anything not fully waterproof anymore :-(

Mine is still serving me well 7 years later despite some wicked crampon holes...thank god for duck tape

Blue

EMS Dayhiker Boots.

They were really comfortable and inexpensive. I wore out a pair, and went back. They no longer make them. Maddeningly, they had a few clearance pairs, but not my size. Then the guy offered to look them up online. He said "The rest were either destroyed or donated"! :eek: I sure hope they were donated!

... Oh wait, you said "own," not "wish to own." Doh!

Eureka Timberlite 2, Autumn Wind and Wind River Tents
Merrell Ridgeline Heavy Duty Backpacking Boots
OR Modular Mukluks (Real Bummer Here)
International Scout with Short cab and Extended Cab (for getting to and from trailheads in style)
Anything Else I either didn't miss or never cared for. :)

Fabiano Mountain Boots

Used to be off the shelf at EMS.
I wore through 2 pairs.
Now you need to know someone in Italy direct.

Last edited:
when I was about 13 I bought an Optimus 8R stove for about $14.00 at the old EMS in Ardsley. I used that stove for 25 years without cleaning it and would still be using it except the rubber gasket on the cap that seals the tank finally deteriorated.

Chip said:
when I was about 13 I bought an Optimus 8R stove for about $14.00 at the old EMS in Ardsley. I used that stove for 25 years without cleaning it and would still be using it except the rubber gasket on the cap that seals the tank finally deteriorated.

Holy smoke! We have about the same story to tell. I bought my 8R about 1971-72 for maybe $12 - $14 and used it for a solid 25 years before the tank gasket failed . . . in use.

That was a very exciting event, as I recall.

As soon as the flames died down Mrs. Grumpy took possession of (confiscated) the stove and officiously announced that it soon would be deposited in a dumpster. I think she may have relented on that threat (she has hinted), but I have not been able to locate the stove in amongst our lives' goods. Of course, I also haven't made a career of searching. Mrs. G. is very adept at concealment of things like that, and is something of a foxy old tease. So our 8R may continue to provide some family entertainment, whether or not it ever again boils a pot of water for tea.

I think the 8R still may be made in some form or another. But a new one couldn't possibly be as good as our veteran (even with its blown gasket), which, wherever it is carries some great memories beneath its scarred and sooty exterior.

G.

Boots without a doubt

Asolo & EMS (& others) seem to redesign them every few years. I have a pair of 10 year old Asolo Pinnacles, an upscale allegedly hybrid compatible (has a real lip) version of the 535's but even more comfy

EMS Traverse's just the opposite but for a leather boot, almost indesctrucible, except for string used for Norwegien welt that good regular boot cleaning would have helped.

Of Course i've shopping on the clearance rack so it is expected i'm buying boots they are unloading because they are being redesigned or discontinued :D

Other thing is Wind-bloc Fleece accessories. I have an Ear warmer & balacalva from about 8-10 years ago. Ear warmer if full sides not thin band with a little extra to try & cover your ears. (mine are too big, call me dumbo...) :eek:

For the balaclava, it's all wind-bloc except a tiny patch for your mouth. I'm able to wear this almost like a hood. Later versions went to having the face only wind-bloc with idea you would wear it with a hood & teh last versions I saw was a combination of the two, closer to the orginal, what will they be like this year?

The fleece is Teal from when teal was in for 10 minutes, BTW Chomp loves this color :rolleyes:

First time he & I hiked together I dropped one & he found it & returned it, since then Teal has gone way out of style but I still have the matching gloves, liners, ear warmer & balaclava.

Grumpy said:
....I think the 8R still may be made in some form or another. But a new one couldn't possibly be as good as our veteran (even with its blown gasket), which, wherever it is carries some great memories beneath its scarred and sooty exterior.
G.
Grumpy,
I think our memories conveniently allow us to forget weight, priming, soot and a few other common fussy traits with the 8R. :D

I think the Optimus Hiker replaced the 8R, as seen here. It looks exactly like my old 8R and the specs seem identical. FWIW, you can get a midi pump for it for about $20 from Campmor to pressurize the fuel tank and increase performance. I did it for a few years, then said to heck with it, got some brasso and cleaned everything up and sold it on Ebay for about $42. Much more than I paid for it some time back. :)

Last edited:
GNR, I gotta question for you.

GNR said:
I'm shopping for a new bivy and I like TNF model I had...problem is, THF no longer makes it...I've tried Ebay but no luck so far. Got me thinking about the best pieces of gear that people own and use but is no longer made...any other ideas?

Awhile ago I bought a TNF bivy, but only used it a couple of times. My point is that I could be convinced to sell it to you, if it meets your needs.

Let me know,
Inge

Sherpa snowshoes

I am old enough to remember when there were only wooden snowshoes, along came Sherpas made out of aluminum with pivoting bindings and everything changed forever. After their patent ran out they did not keep up with innovations in the market. Thankfully I've still got several pairs!

Last edited:
My boots

I love my Vasque Treckers made in Italy 8 years ago, not made anymore. I have nothing to replace them with except a top of the line Vasque Sundowner which i am skeptical about. I don't think they'd be as good as my old boots.

I also doubt there are any other brands that can replace my old boots because most boots don't come in wide sizes in a heavy weight mounteneering sole like my old boots.

The other point I have to make for my old boots is it took me almost 2 years to break em in before I finally really fell in love with em. Do I want to start that again? The day is comming soon, I am shopping but with a hole in my heart.

Raichle boots

I had a pair of Raichle leather boots that I got in the mid seventies (when men were men, and boots were boots!) that I used for 20 years. Had 'em resoled 3 or 4 times, had the scree collar replaced a couple of times (once after my lab puppy got to 'em). They were bombproof and completely waterproof, without the benefit of Goretex. Alas, they finally needed to be retired.
I know that Raichle still makes boots, but everyone seems to have become convinced that shaving ounces is a good thing, and they just aren't the same as they used to be. :(
BTW, I have a Svea 123 that's 30 years old and still works like a champ!

Walrus Rapeede tent. The one pole system,less than 5lbs,sets up in 2.5 minutes,moutaineering rated-just a great winter tent! Still got ours,but after 7 years of winter use,it's gettin' tired..
Can't bring myself to own the MSR replacement(Hubba Hubba???!!!!)

Old style Primus fuel cannisters-they used to fit 3 perfectly in an MSR bottle insulator-not any more. :(

Sportsman's Guide used to sell the real Swiss Army leg gaitors which have a reinforced leather patch on the inside to take crampon hits. They were 3 pairs for $10 or something like that. They advertise something else now which I tried and they're not as good. :( Have to keep patching up the old pair I guess.