Zion NP

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjk

Reaction score
A friend and I are going to be in Southern Utah for exactly two days next week - wish it could be longer, but no such luck. anyone have suggestions for great hikes or other ideas in Zion, or perhaps Bryce? Neither of us have been, and we want to get cover as much as possible in two days. Thanks.

No question - hike The Narrows in Zion. I did an out and back, but if you call some outfitters in the area you should be able to find a shuttle. You get dropped off north of the park and hike into the Narrows first through a dry riverbed and eventually before your campsite, a wet one. The next day is the meat of the hike (the part that I did). You will be walking through a constant river with very little land to keep your feet dry. There are also small canyons along the way that you can explore.

This is THE hike to do if you only have two days. I felt like I was plopped into a scene from Indiana Jones. Its really magical, but unfortunately its really hard to get pictures. The canyon does get narrow and the walls reach 1000 feet in places.

You can visit my site at:

http://chompadventures.com

for a full journal and photos if you like. (May 2002) Otherwise, you can just jump to the Narrows photos here (which are admitedly not that great)

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chompzion?&page=5

Enjoy!

I like Bryce plenty, but Zion is way more impressive to me. If you can't/don't do the Narrows (must get permit for overnight, plus the water will be COLD -- people use wetsuits), I recommend:
- drive the main Zion Canyon
- drive out to Checkerboard Mesa (E side of park, through a tunnel!)
- hike Angel's Landing, one of the best knife edges
- while up on Angel's Landing, go back to the West Rim trail for a while
- East Rim trail to Observation Point for a great view of where you were on Angel's Landing
- Emerald Pools for a short stroll before dark

The Narrows are nice, but I think you'd be missing out if you spent your whole 2-day trip in there.
NPS Narrow page

Zion Narrows

I would do the Zion Narrows. My wife and I did it over thanksgiving a couple of years ago. Call Zion Adventure Company, http://www.zionadventures.com/ , and they will get you outfitted and can direct you to a shuttle service. With the gear from Zion Adventure we stayed quite comfortable even though the river was icy. They give you something called a dry suit that will keep you 100% dry except for what you sweat. They also give you neoprene socks and cayoneering footwear. The shuttle is approximately 1.5 hrs from the main Zion entrance. It is truely a trip of a limetime, I think National Geographic called it the 7th great adventure in the USA. You will be wading waist deep in water at the deepest point, but not for a prolonged period of time. So, I say go for the narrows, but if you don't do that, I would do Angel's Landing.

Zion and Bryce Canyon are both beautiful parks

we hiked the Narrows and Angel's Landing in Zion

i enjoyed Angel's Landing alot more than the Narrows, my friend liked the Narrows better (ymmv)

Angel's Landing brings you to a summit with incredible views

you'll be hiking knee-deep IN a river through the Narrows ... bring water-friendly shoes, as the rocks get slippery

we camped out at Mukuntuweep Campground, just east of Zion's eastern entrance - easy drive to Bryce from there

there are a couple worthwhile half-day hikes in Bryce Canyon ... we hiked the Navajo Loop Trail in a few hours, walking right up to amazing hoodoo formations ... then backpacked the Riggs Spring Trail overnight

decent pictures of both parks here: http://armmon.tripod.com/id2.html

Last edited:
Plenty of good advice here. Personally I like Bryce, but love Zion. My favorite hike is to Observation Point, but Angels Landing is a great hike also. For a shorter hike, Emerald Pools is great as is Hidden Canyon.

I've never been out there this early in the year, so it wouldn't surprise me if snow/ice comes into play. The floor of Zion Canyon is only 4000' so I'd expect it to be snow free, but the canyon rim is several thousand feet higher. The narrows are awesome, but I did them on a 100 degree day (late May) where the 60 degree water was very refreshing ... I don't think they'd be my first choice in winter. Bryce is much higher in elevation (around 8000' I think). Friends have visited in January and the park road was closed to cars, but made for excellent cross country skiing.

I'm sure the NPS can be a good source of info:

http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm
http://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm

If you've never been in the area, get ready to be blown away! There's just no place like it. I've done probably 6 trips to Southern Utah and keep going back.

Option 3

Not to confuse the situation, but a couple of years ago, I had a few days to spend in S. Utah and went to Capitol Reef NP. Did 2 really nice day hikes. If you are driving down from Salt Lake City, its a faster drive than Bryce or Zion.

If you are coming up form Arizona, probably not as close

Lot's of good advise. I think it will be to cold for the Narrows and one piece of info that has not been given is if it rains while your hiking in the Narrows, you better make sure you get to higher ground and in a hurry. Many hikers have been injured or killed in flash flooding. I agree with Angel's Landing if your not afraid of heights and Observation Point two great hikes.

Don't hike!

You only have two days. Use your car and have cameras ready. Take a Whirlwind tour of South Utah! There is soo much more than Bryce and Zion. Make a plan that will get you through as many of the following.

Bryce
Zion
Arches NP
Goblins SP
Munument Valley
Capitol Reef
Canyonlands NP
4x4 opportunities, and ancient indian exploration around MOAB
Goosenecks State park
Natural Bridges SP.

Most of these place may be closed next week but do the drives to get as close as possible. Zion you will be able to drive throough. I dont think you will be able to gat anywhere near Bryce.

The point is that you dont have time to fully take in any of these places. So see what you can and plan for a return.

You may want to decide on Eastern or Western S. Utah and do one or the other. If you do Eastern, pay some attention to the four corners area, its fantastic.

My best suggestion for staying one place for a day would be Canyonlands NP. Rent a jeep (A Wranger that is) and go for it! Do the White Rim trail!

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts