Thinking of buying MSR snowshoes? Think again.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine have been up about 15 4k's and I just checked them (mfg 8/03) and they show minor creasing in the spots where the others failed. It's not hard to see that this would be a flex point given an awkward step with a lot of weight. I can create that same flexing with my arms, pulling on the tips. I obvoiusly can't explain the randomness of the failures and it doesn't look good for MSR, but it won't stop me from using mine - they are da bomb! I quite often use them in place of crampons (3 days ago, up Carter notch over the Wildcats) and they NEVER slipped while ascending (descending was a whole nother story - much like surfing on powder)

Out of curiousity, what is the weight of the Atlas shoes that some are recommending? I had a pair of Tubbs Mountain's that felt like cement shoes.

Looks like I stirred up the hornets nest. I didn't mean to insult anyone. I just have a very strong opinion about the shoes.

1) If our search function allowed us to find threads about gear complaints, MSR snowshoes would far and away have the most hits (after dogs of course). I challenge someone to count and prove otherwise...

2) I've never used MSRs but I've heard mostly bad things about their durability, and mostly good things about their functionality

3) I hope Chomp will pipe in here b/c when the Lightening Ascents first became advertised he told us in very strong words not to purchase them (he seemed to have some inside knowledge that he wasn't at liberty to discuss).

4) I checked the Lightening Ascents out up close in a store a couple of days ago and while they look very smart in function and design, the little metal tabs look like they won't last very long when exposed to mixed terrain.

5) I think that VFTT and other such strong communication outlets have the power to sway market share for companies and their products. Think back over the last several years of VFTT. How many times have you seen trends start about pieces of gear.

Of the several pairs of Sherpas, Tubbs and Atlas shoes I've used, there is no question my Atlas 1233s have been the best. Like a rock...

spencer

Field Repairability

The issue here is a matter of Field Repairability.
Snow Shoes are NOT BoomProof!
What ever you decided to use for Snow Shoes be prepared to Repair.
One Shoe Does not Fit All. Know what you carry.
Snow Shoes need to be tested before heading out for a MAJOR hike or Climb.
Try them out slowly in a progressive manner before you try to hammer on them!
Do they fit your BOOT?
How do they support your weight?
Can you put them on and take them off with bulky handwear on?
And last but least can I fix them "WHEN" and not "IF" they Break!
Understand the weak points of your shoe and carry the parts to repair
those weak points.
By the way, the same goes for Crampons!

peak_bgr said:
Looks like I stirred up the hornets nest. I didn't mean to insult anyone. I just have a very strong opinion about the shoes.
No offense taken - I'm sure you know that. Just watch your back next time we hike :D You are in a way better position to give an opinion from being able to compare many brands firsthand. My opinion is based on what experience I've had with them. Both opinions are valid IMHO, but for different reasons. I know my MSRs won't last forever, but neither will I :(

Yikes !

Well that's quite a photo !! Each broken in the same place...not good.
It's a big paradox for me. I just hired on in my friends store where I first bought my Sherpa snowshoes. Last year he also started carrying the MSR's.
This is a small store...I am a bit of the "snowshoe" guy when people come in.
Sherpa went belly up...Big lesson....life time guarantee means the company's life time not ours.
I always shied away from the MSR's....having passed a person or two with broken ones in their hands...yet I have been passed more than once by people happily wearing them and trucking right along.
Sooo....I sold a few pair these past few weeks...you know Christmas presents and what not.
Thanks for the heads up...good or bad it's nice to see it talked about to see how the whole thing is resolved...if my word is to be any good on the subject I best pay close attention !!
For myself the longer I hike and snowshoe the more I lean towards my wooden snowshoes, keeping the 'pre-fabs' for the more bony hikes above tree line.

( ..one favorite pair has a weave and stitching of Moose and Caribou that I have yet to see elsewhere...from the far North Country)

Last edited:
on a positive note...

Look into the recall - sounds like there was defective batch. I've been using the red MSRs for several years now - they have been wedged between rocks and yoinked out, used to scramble up icy, ledgy trails, and used for bushwhacking in the dark, and they are still in excellent condition... yes they are noisy, but the bindings are easy to use in serious cold, and they make good shovels and tent stakes too (for MSR's Twin Peaks shelter). Tack on the tails, and they are great with a full pack in deep fresh snow. So there. (Sorry you had a such a bad experience(s) - I'd be miffed, too...)

Sue

MSRs are good value and safe

Snowshoes -- Break

The better performance of MSRs and the ability to repair in the field make them a first choice for me and my teams. We have never had a failure compromise a trips objective. I have had other shoes also break and have been harder to repair. We all weight under 160# and carry full winter camping packs generally under 22 lbs. We use the shoes on all surfaces (rock, snow and ice) and almost never carry or rely on crampons.

The failure of the plastic is very unusual. Did a rivet pop firsts? Or sometimes when your boot doesn’t clear the opening extra stress is put on the footplate and the plastic.

Like most MSR owners I have broken 3 pair in 3 years!, but still continue to be a fan. Each pair has had about 40 or so winter ADK 46-ers on them so I expect them to break. This is just the cost of doing business. All of the failures, two popped rivets, and one broken footplate, are all easily repaired in the field by carrying, a spare footplate, two clevis pins, and two saber teeth for repair of popped rivets.

The manufacturer has repaired all free of charge.

Michael CM

Michael M said:
The failure of the plastic is very unusual.
Michael CM

We all heard about the failure of the pins, foot plates, and rivets. I had never heard of them failing like they did.

Three sets failing in the same spot is just too much of a coincindence. I'm wondering if they changed the type of plastic this year, or slimmed down the design a little to save an ounce.

-Shayne

Original MSR's

I was also in Neil's Redfield group. I used my 8-10 year old MSR's which date back to the first year of the MSR production. These shoes came through the trip unscathed.

Weight of hiker/pack/etc...... 275+lbs.

Michael M said:
Snowshoes -- Break

All of the failures, two popped rivets, and one broken footplate, are all easily repaired in the field by carrying, a spare footplate, two clevis pins, and two saber teeth for repair of popped rivets.
Michael CM

Michael M: Where do you get the spare parts from?

It took me 7 years for my last pair of snowshoes to finally break, And then it was only a rivet in the binding. My shoe still worked well enough to get me down off of Seward in the dark. That is 7 years of big guy abuse. The MSR's on this trip failed on the first ever use, and after only about 8 miles. I returned them and went back to Atlas. I love MSR as a company. I believe in thier products, and continue to use thier gear. Just not the snowshoes. Repairability wasn't really an issue for the break on this trip, we could have duct taped them up, but the shoe still functioned well enough to get to the trailhead. Noone is trying to sabotage a company here, just give a friendly heads up to folks who might be heading out. The picture tells the whole story.

This should still be in an old thread on the MSRs:

First pair (w/old bindings): traction bar rivets began to shear off after a winter of infrequent backpacking use. Replaced by MSR with an all new pair. Same happened to pals set, I don't think he sent his in for repair.

Second pair did not show some of the shearing traction bar rivet issue, i didn't trust them so I purchased a set of Sherpas and put the MSRs on the side as loners (search for Lotus binding & sherpa in the forums for that story). While using them last year on Seymour I had a full metal fatigue failure on the foot plate (snapped at the bend). MSR recommended me to a dealer to get replacement foot plates. Note: my replacements plates had one, not two rows of teeth. MSR mentioned they only offer a two year warranty.

I used the MSRs this past weekend in the ADKs, traction was reduced with the lack of extra teeth. I haven't had the chance to inspect them yet.

I was very glad to stop at the Mountaineer and find a set of the lace binding for my Sherpas, though I also had damaged those on their first outing.

Having had what I consider to be two and half less than stellar experiences with snowshoes I decided last year that my next pair would follow peak_bgr's recommendation of the Atlases.

In the meantime I'm watching those who have the MSR evo's and the Northern Lites waiting to get completely fed up with what i have and hoping the new bindings on the sherpas make the differance.

Nobody really has talked about Tubbs on this thread. I think Atlas is a great company, but I prefer Tubbs in terms of binding and overall durablility. My Tubbs have been in service for about 2 years now, and they have never failed. I opted for the old TD91 bindings, which I perceive as superior to other offereings. I am at the point where the crampons need replacement, and Tubbs made this process easy. My only dissapointment is that the company is moving manufacturing to China, which is the case with many companies.

-percious

Since this seems to have wandered to quality of various manufacturers, how 'bout them Havlicks?

Tony

Snow shoes

Try Havlick's. Never had a problem.

Havlick

Just my :) friendly opinion on MSR plastic shoes: Cold weather + snow + plastic = trouble

Sparky said:
Try Havlick's. Never had a problem.

Havlick

Just my :) friendly opinion on MSR plastic shoes: Cold weather + snow + plastic = trouble

I certainly don't want to seem like I'm jumping on you, but what about plastic boots?

I agree Tubbs has come along way with there new shoes, and also has a great warrenty and customer service staff. I also owned a pair of Sherpas before the Atlas. I had the Bigfoots 36'', way to big for bushwhacking in thick bush and over downfall. So I sold them and bought a pair of Yakima. They looked great, they were light, very aggressive looking, but the bindings kept sliding off my boots. Needless to say I sold them off as well that spring and went with old trusty Atlas. Has anyone else used Yakima snowshoes before? What did you think?

Count on Your Gear?

Warren

I remember your shoe failure on Seymour, If only I had my spare plate, which I understand you now carry the weekend would have had other possibilities (you did summit Seymour and safely descend).
We use our MSRs in place of crampons so they suffer much more abuse then most shoes. The ride while much more precise/obvious is also much harsher and noisier. They seem to be much more technical and well suited for the Icier conditions in the DAKs. For raw float even with extensions others shoes are far superior. At slower speeds with precise footwork to me they are like wearing crampons. However In deep powder and fast aerobic movement they are a bit notchey and clumsy and much less forgiving

I would love to hear what Pin Pin would say about these mere plastic shoes. He moves fast and more subtlety relies on the less than subtle traction of the MSR.

Regarding getting the spare parts Ms. Best at MSR will often send without charge.

While I like the softer ride of the conventional shoes, the precision and economy of the MSR seems to suit my travel style. I also like the fact that they are basically field repairable so that no adventure (and the long drive) is compromised by shoe failure.

I personally think that most of the failures occur due to improper foot placement of the shoe and the consequent overwhelming stress to the articulating parts and the plastic base.

In my group we have seven pairs of Denali assents and many 10 –18 per year assents of ADK Winter 46ers with only the three failures described.

I have seen every critical piece of gear at one time or an other fail, and to not anticipate failure of this crucial gear would be to put ourselves at unnecessary risk.

Michael CM