Thinking of buying MSR snowshoes? Think again.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hillman1 said:
I was sliding straight back down ice that neil was tapdancing on. I'm seriously thinking about purchasing the evos for next season.

I love the Evo's... running the last bit trying to catch up to Dom I was like, wow, I'm actually running with snowshoes and a 40lb pack. Felt like Nike's... ;)

Took them out this weekend, should have had the tails on in the powder, super deep powder and I agree that the Atlas or Tubbs would be king in those conditions.

-Shayne

Please explain why the Atlas or Tubbs would be superior in deep snow. I am guessing it's flotation, but with 8" tails, are the MSR's not comparable?

Jasonst said:
Please explain why the Atlas or Tubbs would be superior in deep snow. I am guessing it's flotation, but with 8" tails, are the MSR's not comparable?

I think even with the tails the MSRs have less surface area, but even if that not true the main reason there's a difference in floatation is that the MSRs are hard plastic with no give, traditional modern snowshoes have give to the decking providing more floatation.

I can't describe the physics of why this matters but when bare booting if I place my foot as I normally would I'm more likely to post hole than if I place my weight on my foot gradually. At least it's my observation.

Also my MSRs are the older, mid 90's ones I think, they had the double bear claw on them. The replacement ones have a single bear claw. I have noticed that they are less grippy.

A problem with the MSRs with tails is that the shoe is too far forward leading to tip dive in soft snow. Idealy, one's weight comes down close to the center of the snowshoe. (Need both front and back extensions or a movable binding.)

I doubt that the type of decking makes much difference--snowshoe area is far more inportant in soft snow.

I have a nice pair of 13x28 inch flat bearpaw snowshoes--a lot more area than my MSRs, but they won't fit in the narrow trenches left by the narrower modern snowshoes. :(

Doug

Last edited:
Jasonst said:

I think it boils down to surface area as others have stated. The MSR may be as long as other shoes when the tails are attached, but they aren’t as wide, so the surface area is less.

Why go w/ Atlas or Tubbs for deep snow when the Northern Lites appear to cost less, weigh much less and also seem to get rave reviews...?

I purchased a pair of Northern Lites and believe me, they are light. Their crampons are not very agressive and in spite of what others have said elswhere I didn't feel comfortable with such a crampon so I gave them to my wife and got a pair of MSR's which aren't much heavier and stick like glue to ice. I know that on occasion the MSR's won't have enough flotation for me and when the time comes I'll just suck it down.

I just used my Northern Lites to climb Sawteeth and Colvin/Blake and they have plusses and minuses. The weight is excellent and keep your legs stronger for longer. I have also had very good luck with reliability using them for 2 years now and about 10-15 winter peaks in the ADKs and Catskills with no problems other than touching up the aluminum crampons with a file. The crampons are small and require some technique. If the trail is steep and icy for a long way I usually switch to regular crampons anyways. One great feature with the NLs is their ability to ski/glissade. I put one foot in front and drag the rear shoe for control and can descend great distances at high speed with pretty good control. An advantage of smaller crampons :) .

JimB,
Since they're sitting in my camping closet I suppose I should at least give the NL's a try. When's your next winter trip? My next one (hopefully next w/end-ie. 22nd or 23rd) is Gray and the NL's weight (or lack of) would really tally up on such a long hike. We plan on approaching as far as possible on skis, which given our equipment, means just a short distance past FL. Wanna come?

One last thought on the NL's. If, with the MSR's, I would leave the crampons in the car like I did this tues. on Phelps but needed to carry them and switch over if I had used the NL's would I still be ahead?

MSR are "tweeners," half cramp/half shoe, appear not well suited to deep snow. might HAVE to have diff shoe for deep stuff. thus, if NLs are big enough they seem like a great answer (due to weight & price) - take em (w cramps) in lieu of MSR when snow expected to be real deep...

JimB..
My ears perked up when you mentioned your ability to do some glissading with them. I've missed that on a few hikes with some of the other shoes. More than once I've been tripped up on the downhill with some of the more aggressive snowshoe crampon set ups. I love the 'glide per stride' that you can get in good conditions with the right shoes.
For me that looks like a nice plus for the NL's as I'm not looking for a shoe to replace crampons . I carry them anyway, especially this year, the year of the crampons, so far around these parts.