10 body lbs. = 5 pack lbs or 2 boot lbs ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete_Hickey said:
So, back to the original question, I'd say that a pound on the foot is like a pound on the back on a good trail, but on a rough trail, a pound on the foot may be like 5 pounds on the back.

Sure, if all things are equal. But they aren't.

The rockier the terrain is, the more I need/want a solid sole under my feet that resists folding when I step on a rock. If I try to use sneakers or similar, I'm generally lame on the 2nd day. I've heard lots of AT thru hikers make similar comments after they get through PA and then the Whites.

Sadly the only way I can get this degree of rigidity under foot (especially with my size 48 feet) is by going with heavier boots. It used to be that the only option was 1/2 shank norwegian welted boots with thick leather mid soles (think Limmer, Fabiano or similar). Now it seems that some modern injection welted boots using nylon/plastic shanks can provide this stiffness at a fraction of the weight.

Given 2 boots with similar stiffness I'll definitely take the lighter ones. But, given a choice between a light but non-supportive boot and a heavy but supportive one, I'll take the latter.

Another way to look at it is to hold a weight straight down by your side and compare that to holding it straight out perpendicular to your body. That's an exaggeration of the impact of additional weight on your feet. Has to do with leverage I think, which is why Darren gets so much leverage out of his legs even though he's riding this cheap bike made of spare submarine parts. :D

Stan said:
Has to do with leverage I think, which is why Darren gets so much leverage out of his legs even though he's riding this cheap bike made of spare submarine parts. :D

Not entirely true...those little short guys weigh less than me and their bikes weigh less than mine. They have a serious advantage.

Same holds true for hiking. Shorter people have smaller gear - smaller tents, smaller sleeping bags, smaller clothes, smaller packs and smaller boots - all of which is lighter. Us tall freaks have it tough. Don't even get me started on blowdowns...

Anyway, what it all boils down to is an old bicycling joke (which holds equally true in hiking). It is easier and far cheaper to take 10 lbs off your waist than to take 10 lbs off your bike (or pack). :D

- darren

Then there's the personal side...

For me, with a pack heavier than 25 pounds or on really rocky terrain, I want to be wearing my hiking boots (Vasque Alpine II), for the sake of comfort and stability.

For easy trail or lightpacking, I'm happy with trail runners.

Sabrina

P.S. Interesting avatar, Pete!