2 day hike in the whites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
Looking for some good suggestions for a 2 day loop in the Whites sometime this year. I have already done the Presidentials, Carter Dome, and Wildcat. Other than that, I have not hiked any of the other big ones. I was looking for something with the following criteria;

1. A hike that can start and end in the same place preferably.
2. A hike that "bags" a lot of the 100 highest list.
3. Somewhere around 4,000 vertical a day and about 10-15 miles per day.
4. Some place to pitch a tent after day one.

Any ideas?

Pemi Loop? Start and finish at Lincoln Woods. Camp at Garfield campsite.

Perhaps something in the Wild River region, using parts of the Royce-Baldface ridge and the Carters Ridge.

Doug

The Pemi loop would be the classic, distance about right (about 31.5 miles, can be 33.7 if you hit Galehead & West Bond + both Guyot Summits)

If you go up over Franconia Ridge first the first day elevation gain is about 6400 feet leaving 3400 feet for the next day (again will be slightly different if you skip West Bond & Galehead) I'm guessing in the other direction Elevation gain on day one would be about 6000.

Possible with an overnight to do Passaconaway, Whiteface, Sleepers (a 100 Highest there) & Tripyramids (4 4K's & 1 NE 100) with a small roadwalk or go back over Sleepers

OR

Tri's & Osceolas with a mile or two walk on Tripoli road (if you did that loop, I'd do the dirt road walk on first day) & part of the Livermore Road (closed to cars) done 2X. Also allows an early morning bail out on day two if weather is bad or too sore to do Tri's.

Thanks for the ideas! The Pemi loop looks pretty promising. I have to get in a little better shape first though. I tore my hamstring about a month ago, so my conditioning isn't quite up to par yet. I'll have to take a look further into this. It gives me something to daydream about at work.

WOW, great info for us as well. We'd like to start getting into shape to do some hiking soon, as well. :D

I am feeling mentally unbalanced enough to go do this hike possibly this weekend. From Lincoln Woods to Garfield Ridge Campsite, is the tougher hiking direction going counter clockwise towards Lafayette, Lincoln, Flume, etc? Also, is Garfield ridge campsite directly on the AT? My AT maps are less than stellar.