3/19: Carter Dome or Wildcats?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
8:00 AM Start.
Choices:
Carter Dome: Hike up 19 Mile to Carter Dome Trail. Up Carter Moriah over Mt Hight and Carter Dome. Return dependent on cover: could be down to Carter Notch, Carter Dome Trail or back on Carter Moriah.

Wildcats: Ski up the Polecat across Wildcat Ridge to "D" and "A" and return.

No real preference - both are nice hikes. Will decide on Wednesday evening.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Final Answer:
Wildcats via the Polecat ski trail. I am skinning up and survival skiing down. All others are hiking. We all will snowshoe over to Wildcat "A" and return down the ski trails (anyone who prefers to head down to the notch instead is also welcome to do so). Start time at the Quad lift (parking lot "C") is Saturday morning at 8:00 AM.

All are welcome to join in!

Last edited:
This WAS my exact plan for Saturday until...

SherpaKroto said:
8:00 AM Start.
Choices:
Carter Dome: Hike up 19 Mile to Carter Dome Trail. Up Carter Moriah over Mt Hight and Carter Dome. Return dependent on cover: could be down to Carter Notch, Carter Dome Trail or back on Carter Moriah.

I got forced to work on Saturday... now I'll be going sunday instead which means
a) a REAL early start if I want to winter bag no matter where I go
b) a destination with a shorter ride for me so I can get there earlier if I DO want to winter bag (like Moosilauke)... or
c) stick with Carter Dome via Hight and not count it as a "winter" bag

Any chance of you going Sunday instead? I'm so confused right now I don't know what to do :confused: Too many choices :rolleyes:

Capt. Jim

Oh well... it was just a thought!

SherpaKroto said:
No chance I'm going on Sunday. Heading up on Friday night to Hikers Paradise(actually Colonial Inn - Hikers is full, and the rooms are filling up fast!)

Right now it looks more like Wildcats than Carter Dome, but that could change...

Don't blame you... I'd rather be going on Saturday too! Oh well, some day I'll get the chance to hike with some of you guys & gals.

Till then... peace out!
Capt. Jim

SherpaKroto said:
Right now it looks more like Wildcats than Carter Dome, but that could change...

Please post if it changes to C.Dome...I may tag along.
-vegematic

Sherpa: I was looking to tag one more 4,000 footer this Winter, and was looking for a group to join with. I have already done CD so would vote for Wildcats.

Larry

Mark said:
I'll do the Wildcats, but my ski boots are shot. Is anyone hiking or will skis be the popular mode of transportation?

I'm game for *hiking* the Wildcats...I don't want to ski them. Just thought I'd muddy the water a bit more.
-vegematic

My plan was to hike as well. I didn't realize SherpaK was planning a ski until I re-read his post. Given my misreading of the thread, maybe Sherpa will cancel my vote!

Dear Sherpak,
The idea of traversing Wildcat ridge with skiis seems daunting to me, based on my 1/8mile foray from Wildcat D on 3/12. Is there any chance you would consider going up to Wildcat A from Carter Notch. My hunch is the trail is more visible going north to south than visa versa. Jeff

beaner: trying to avoid the slide. I'm only planning on skiing on the ski trails, hiking across the ridge and back (as it's looking more and more like the Wildcats). We'll find the trail... hopefully.

vegematic: good to see such flexibility considering winter is near ended! I look forward to hiking with you!

Ok, so Sean and I plan to skin up, ski down the Polecat trail and hike across the ridge in between, with the rest hiking up. Anyone averse to hiking the ski trails?

Pete - looks like you'll be alone on Carter Dome. Sorry... (but then again, things could change and I could get talked into a death march :) by Saturday)

Last edited: