A great day on Jackson, and then...........

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed Poyer said:
The big take away lesson for us is that Stabilicers, micro-spikes, etc. are great knee and energy saving tools to have along, but this incident illustrates the need to carry crampons in winter (for descent, if not ascent), and to put them on when warranted, even for a short section if the consequences of a fall might be significant. I'm not sure whether you had them, but that's a general lesson I take from this incident.

Yup. Especially if you are relatively new to using alternative traction devices.
A bit of practice on slopes of various angles and hardness in a safe location goes a long way in learning where the limit of traction is with ATDs, but having the self-control to stop and put on crampons for "just this little section" is the tough part.

Glad you were able to get out OK!

SkierSteve said:
An interesting aside; my Doc has told me to stay as active as I can stand. Apparently the greatese potential problem with this kind of injury is not fully expanding your lungs and developing secondary pneumonia.
When I broke 4 ribs, the doc suggested bracing myself so my ribs would not move and coughing fairly vigorously at least once a day, to prevent pneumonia.

Another good tip was to sleep in a reclining chair to keep everything immobile.

Thanks for writing this up so that we all can learn from your experience.

--Dave

Skier Steve...I am really happy that everything worked out for you and hope you are healing well and not in too much pain.
You were very aware of the type of injury you might have sustained as a result of this fall. Another complication which might have presented itself if a hemothorax or pneumothorax from the rib fractures/chest trauma. Hemothorax is blood accumulating in the pleural cavity and pneumothorax is air in said cavity. Both can cause serious respiratory distress.
http://www.med-help.net/Hemothorax.html
Patients with fractured spleens can decompensate fairly quicklyfrom loss of blood.
I think that it might have been a good idea to call 911 and talk to someone trained in managing trauma victims such as a paramedic or wilderness first responder. They (911) should have been able to put you in contact with someone who has those credentials.
When someone sustains and injury which might compromise breathing or hemodynamic stability, the sooner help is mobilized the better because a life can depend on early intervention.
Trauma patients with ruptured spleens go direct to the Operating Room from the ER, or if they have been admitted and their condition deteriorates, they are whisked off to surgery in a big hurry.
They probably would not insert a chest tube on the mountain but they could bring IV fluid, plasma, oxygen and some meds. These things would all be necessary to stabilize the victim and buy them some time because they are very far removed from a medical facility.
It's a big advantage to the rescuers if they know early on that someone has sustained an injury that could have serious consequences. These folks are in a position to advise the victim on how best to proceed. There is no harm in letting them know and it definitely can work to your advantage.
A trauma victim can appear stable immediately post insult but can deteriorate rapidly and with no warning. Moving about can help precipitate instability depending on the type of injury one has sustained. A trained emergency responder could help assess the individual and make a recommendation and help answer the question...should you stay and wait for rescue of should you proceed with caution. There are so many variables but they would be in a better position to advise even if it is by cell phone.
You don't have to take that advice but at the very least they would be alerted that someone in injured and might need help sooner than later.
I hope some of the SAR-EMT folks on the boards respond to your question. I would love to read their input.
Where are you Keith???

edited x1 on 1-16

Last edited: