A learned skill put to good use.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carole said:
Thanks for all the nice comments. I somehow happen to be in the right place to help out as I have on several other occasions helped others that I fear may have been a SAR otherwise.

As to the whistle, I almost always carry one, but I only recall one or two other times I've needed to use it. And the one I recall the most it didn't help either - but then he's hard of hearing also - but that's another tale. ;)
Fate.
How nice his path crossed with your good soul....it was meant to be.
kmac

Carole, I really enjoyed and appreciated reading your story. I am one of those who also pays attention to tracks in the trail, so your yarn resonated a bit. I think your story also illustrates how easily it is for parties to become separated, and how serious the decision to split up -- for any reason -- actually is.

As for the whistle ... . I carry a Fox 40 "mini." It wasn't cheap. It is loud. I haven't actually tested its carrying power in various outdoor conditions, though. Priobably should. Duh!

G.

I have several times used whistles to locate companions who were too far off for yelling, once a bird copied the sound which confused us for awhile.

I think we can be glad that many whistles sold as toys aren't very loud, and even sports officials need to reach only a limited distance. If you're unsure of yours, try it!

I am coming to grips with the realization that I am something of a gear and gadget freak ... after Maddy's post, I started looking at whistles.

Whistle comparisons and interesting observations, especially about perceptions of whistle loudness by people of different ages can be found here.

More comments on whistles at this link.

And here is the Fox40 Whistles web site.

Gadget stuff aside, I still think Carole's original story about using tracking skills was super. :)

G.

Carole has provided a subtle point that this awareness not only served to help her aid figuring out the situation, but also this awareness is a great skill to avoid S & D's situation. No intent here to criticize or critique as any worry or tinges of panic cause us to devolve from objective actions, but reading the snow tracks can give you the information you need in many situations. Stories like this on this website help us all to advance as a more skilled and advanced hiking community.

There is a signifigant difference between the ability to hear the "Storm" whistle and the "Fox 40" and it is different than what may be listed on the advertised decibles, and may be the difference with tone or pitch. The Storm tends to be more audible than the Fox 40, although the higher pitch of the Fox 40 can be more audible during a loud moaning wind. The 'pea' in the Storm can build up with ice and rendered useless in extreme cold.

On some searches I have been shocked when I was only .3 mi away and 300' below another searcher and he could not hear me at all, but I could hear him from above as if he were right next to me. I have also experienced the opposite to be true due to different wind and air pressure conditions. Don't forget to cover your ears and hold the whistle with your teeth when you blow, otherwise you can negate the whole effort inadvertantly! It is good to make a series of blasts while turning to different directions to cover a broad area.

Andrew said:
Don't forget to cover your ears and hold the whistle with your teeth when you blow, otherwise you can negate the whole effort inadvertantly!
I learned that the hard way, luckily on a dry run rather than in an emergency!

It is good to make a series of blasts while turning to different directions to cover a broad area.
The standard distress signal is three--three whistle blasts, three gunshots for hunters, etc.

In hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness a few years ago with another adult and 3 kids, we used the Morse Code signal for our first initials as a signal to each other. Each person blew his or her own initial, so the hearer could tell who was calling. Worked great, though as I said above you had to cover your ears.

Latest posts