Accuracy over distance...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nessmuk said:
I'll try it, but the physics just isn't there to generate a magnetic field from a charged comb with constant static charge on it when held stationary. There is no mechanism for a bar magnet (compass needle) to get deflected by a stationary electric field. If there is relative motion between comb and compass or if the charge is rapidly draining away then I suppose it could happen. Or if there is some other effect such as paint with dissimilar electrical properties on either end of the compass needle, but that's a reach.

Here's a good article concerning static charges:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/vdg1.htm

Jay H said:
I know the declanation stuff but I hardly ever deal with true bearings, I mark my maps with a magnetic north bearings or have TN print them out so I don't have to deal with convertions. But TN spits out bearings in true, so it's like the one time I have to convert and I must of had a brain fart then (ice cream induced :) ).
I just use the declanation compensation on my compass (Silva Ranger) and all numbers are in true. GPSes (and my mapping software) can be set to read in/out bearings in magnetic or true.

Nautical charts have compass roses in magnetic printed on them to minimize the chance for mistakes.

Doug

Last edited:
kmorgan said:
Static charges will deflect a compass needle quite easily. To test this for yourself all you need is a nylon comb. Run it through your hair a few times and place it near your compass. The needle will be extremely attracted to the comb and you will be able to move it anywhere you wish.
Static electricity will not produce or alter a magnetic field. (Charge movement (current) is required produce a magnetic field.) However, a static charge can exert an electrical attraction or repulsion on an unshielded compass needle. (A metal housing or conductive damping fluid will shield the needle.)

Doug

Latest posts