Advice needed on pants with crotch-zippers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sli74 said:
I have been resisting trying this or the LadyJ BUT it might be time to give it a try.
Surely this could require no more courage or public exposure than did starting this thread, yes?

The BD Blizzard is designed for glacier travel. All you have to do is unclip the 2 leg loop attachments that attach the leg loops to the waist harness just above your backside and your wide open! The leg loops will still be attached via the main structural supports, (so your not really compromising), but are quite free to gear down. Just make sure your waist harness is above your hips AND over your lower body shell and poly's. Worst case scenario, if you had to undo your leg loops you could, but I don't see that scenario happening until they open a Taco Bell (or an IHOP) at camp Muir :D

I wore the same harness for 18 days on the Kahiltna Glacier and I had no problems. Personally, I think that the zipper pants might be kind of a pain. How often do we use pants with zippers in the crotch? I like the good old fashioned dropped trou... :)

One other little tidbit, everyone on your roped team should carry an extra "Blue Bag" (or a large plastic bag), just in case one of the team members has a Taco Bell (or IHOP) flashback :eek:

When traveling on a glacier we have to leave the modesty at home... :)

On Sale

As promised earlier I checked out my local EMS, Paramus, NJ. They have the EMS Expidition bib pants (fully zippered)..... Gortex XCR.... V# 90038, ST # 124313B ......$69.98

LOL - Modesty aside guys...we have to bare our butts for the least little thing...and since sli will be on a glacier, meaning COLD, not to mention the pita of having to peel off duds each time.
I searched for zip crotches after a few winter hikes where the temps were negative teens during the day without the windchill. It was much more than a modesty thing for me, since I really don't care if someone sees my butt.
Though I do feel sorry for them!
:D

Seema, I know how you feel about this issue. Go to the sierra trading post website and look at item 46090, a mountain hardware pant. It only comes in size 8 but it looks like the whole back end zips open and would work.

My friend Rebecca, mentioned above, is back in town and since I've posted my recollection of her impression on this thread (and another) I mentioned in an email that I wanted to talk to her her about rope teams, side zips and peeing. Her brief response is:

"Oh, and AVOID SIDE ZIP PANTS ON A ROPE TEAM AT ALL COSTS!!! Man, I can't say that loud enough."

She's been on line for a while and would only use all caps if he meant it.

Seema, I want a review when you get back.

Seema, I ordered those Mountain Hardware pants from STP. If I get them in time, I'll bring them to the Escarpment Hike for you to see. From Warrens post it seems like I should avoid my Marmot pants with the side zips. I wonder what the problem is with those. I was thinking that you could unzip one side and pull it aside...

daxs said:
From Warrens post it seems like I should avoid my Marmot pants with the side zips. I wonder what the problem is with those. I was thinking that you could unzip one side and pull it aside...

That's kinda how I've been doing it (with my admittingly differing anatomy).

I'll try and get the skinny on it in time for an update at the escarpment hike.

Patagonia had a system that was called the Bombay Fly and also the Superfly that was in several women's hardshell pants as well as their R.5 tights. I went to their website but can't find it now. I remember taking a strong look at them to get for my girlfriend because I thought it was quite innovative. The Patagonia website tends to list products seasonally, and many of the winter shells/clothing are not listed, so it might be that it's out of season right now.

"From Warrens post it seems like I should avoid my Marmot pants with the side zips. I wonder what the problem is with those. I was thinking that you could unzip one side and pull it aside..."

Warren said:
That's kinda how I've been doing it (with my admittingly differing anatomy).

As a female, there are two ways to deal- either pull all your layers down and out of the way, or leave your pants up have/use full crotch zips. Ok, three; learn to pee standing up.

Full side zips don't work / amke peeing any easier because unless they continue up through the waist band of your shells, you can't pull the pant leg out of the way, ESPECIALLY if you are wearing a harness. You'll have to drop the seat loops of the harness and pull all your layers down.

Try it.......

Last edited: