Advice Wanted: Pocket Rocket Cannister Stove

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With EMS club days this weekend, I was think of getting one of those pocket rocket cannister stoves for 3 season use only.

Somebody must have a cannister stove, and I would like to know how you judge how much fuel you have left if you are in the back country for a few days. Thats my biggest concern....

Is there a liquid fueled stove that is as light? Cost?

For a long time I felt that I wanted a liquid stove so I could just top off the tank before each trip. I was concerned about making sure I had enough fuel with me.

I finally broke down and got an MSR Superfly, which is one step above the Pocket Rocket and in particular has a piezoelectric ignition. I've found that it didn't take long to sense just from a shake how much fuel remained in the canister. By doing that after each trip (even after each use), you can figure out after not too long what you need. I also made it a habit to write trip dates on the bottom in indelible marker, since each canister size does have an estimated burn time. Between those, I've had no troubles.

True, sometimes I do end up with two canisters with me, but they're small and so light that I've found I don't mind. The stove itself is tiny and weighs almost nothing, there's no priming, no pumping, and setup/cleanup are trivial.

I recommend going for it.

I have a pocket rocket and wouldn't trade it for anything... anytime but winter, of course.

I too keep track of how much use a canister has had.
I estimate the amount of time per meal and mark it on masking tape on the underside (the underside cavity keeps the tape protected and doesn't require bringing along a sharpie - I use the same pencil I always carry in my kit).

When in doubt, leave the old one home and buy a new one. I find I use the stove enough times out of my truck (as opposed to backpacking), that I can take the potentially empty ones along on those occasions without worrying.

You can also tell when the canister is nearing completion b/c the stove will burn a little less aggressively for several minutes before going out.

spencer

I weigh the canister when it's new, then at the end of each trip, and write it with a marker on the bottom of the canister.

This allows for pretty accurate estimates, especially after you've gone through a few canisters. (My scale weighs in .05 oz increments, which is probably overkill for this purpose.)

- Steve

coleman

I have a coleman version of the stove and I like it a LOT! I use the smaller fuel tanks and still get several uses out of one. I also weigh them each time so I know how much is left. I think it is worth the weight. Mine is 5 oz. plus 6 oz. for the small fuel container. That gives you about 10 no cooks meals or more. Even an esbit stove weighs more at 10 meals (1.5 oz. esbit block x 10 meals = 15 oz). I got mine for $20, but would have paid three times that.

I bought a pocket rocket last year, i love it and as michael said, you learn the feel of how much is left with a little shake , buy it and enjoy. Might add that depending on how many days you are going for , i can get 6-9 days out of a 12 ounce canister, depending on what your cooking. Mike D.

Last edited:
I love my Pocket Rocket. I can still go ultralight and enjoy a hot meal at the end of the day, and some coffee in the morning. The only downside to canister stoves is that you have to be very careful to find a level spot, or your water may end up on the ground. This can be tricky on the side of a mountain, but I've always been able to manage.

I misjudged the amount left in my canister last fall, and ran out the second morning. We had just boiled the water for coffee, thank God. If it had kicked before the coffee was ready, we would have been doomed. The little canisters don't last long - three meals and coffee for two mornings are all that you can hope to get out of one - so always overestimate.

Go for it. It's a good investment.

I agree with most of everything said. The Pocket Rocket and it's clones are great.

I usually use freeze dried food or instant oatmeal for breakfast so I typically need to boil 2 cups of water per meal. I have measured it takes 1/4 oz. of fuel per boil so an 8 oz net wt. cannister will last 8oz x 4 (boils per oz) = 32 meals or almost 2 weeks. If you actually cook real food, of course you will use more, but I certainly would never run out the second morning (unless I had a 7 course meal the night before).

Anyway, your experience will tell you how long the thing will last depending on your cooking style.

Have fun. I originally bought it cause it has a sexy name!

Pb

I bought a pocket rocket last year. My only complaint is that the pot doesn't sit flat on the prongs designed to hold it (the prongs are angled downward). I have a very small titanium pot (less than 1 liter), and it balances on the stove by the three tips on the prongs, which makes it very tippy. At first I thought I had a defective stove, so I called MSR. They told me that the stove is designed for a small pot. I explained that I had a very small pot, and they then stated, that was the way the stove was designed. I'm not sure what purpose it serves to have the stove balanced on three prong tips. It would be much more stable if the pot rested flat on the three prongs.

Aside from that, it's lightweight and pretty good on fuel. BY using freezedried and quick to heat meals, I can make a canister go all week.

On my recent trip to the Gaspe, I used the stove inside the cabin. The fuel was still cold from the carry in, but I was itching for something hot to drink. So I started the stove with cold fuel. I think this was a big mistake, as now the remaining fuel in the canister won't come out. My guess is that the two fuels, butane and propane, separate at cold temps, and one of them burned off completely, leaving the other in the canister. Without the combination of both fuels, there's not enough propellent to make it work. Just a guess, I'm open to discussion, ifyou have any ideas.

Would I buy it again? Well, I'd look for a similiar stove that held the pot on a flat surface. Otherwise, yeah.

Nadine

I use the MSR .9 liter (about 3 1/2 cups) titanium "kettle" and never noticed the tipping problem.

Now that you mention it I guess it sits on the prongs. But the prongs stick out past the edge of the pot so in reality it's sitting inside the prongs. Maybe I'm not saying it right, but I mean the pot doesn't balance on the prong tips, but rather sits inside the prongs. Sort of like if you held your hand with the fingers pointing up and out and stiff, and put a cup in your hand.

Anyway, it works OK for this particular pot. Sounds like Nadine's pot is bigger (slightly) then mine so the prongs don't make it out past the edge.

As for using it in the cold, I used to put the cannister in my bag overnight and it would work fine down to about 20 degrees. Never tried it in real winter.

Pb

I have a Pocket Rocket also. I've heard that, in cold conditions, if you set up the stove with the canister in a bowl of water it will work well, since the liquid water would have a temp of at least 32 degrees. Can anyone verify this?

i use an msr titanium pot,its bigger than the tips of the stove but if you set it up fairly level it balance fine on the stove, and in mornings i heat a full pot for 2 cups of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. as for temp i have used the canister in roughly 10-20 degrees in a shelter and had no problems.

My brother got a pocket rocket. I tried it and really didn't like the design of the pot supports. Unless the stove was perfectly level, the pot kept sliding off. It was a major pain.

Edit: I was at REI yesterday and checked this stove. It seems they redesigned the stove supports to allow the pot to sit on the flat portions of the supports as opposed to the very tips. Maybe this helps to keep the pot from sliding around as much. They are still chrome plated or some other shiny metal which usually means less grip than from rough, dull supports. Boy, it is light, though!

Last edited:
Folks that use 'em (myself included) seem to love 'em...
One thing you will find is that the stove sits a lot higher on them than liquid fuel stoves I have used. It addition to probably being a little more prone to tipping / knocking over, you will need an extra-high windscreen that has vent holes at the bottom so as to not overheat the canister.

Sly and the family Stone

I own both a Pocket Rocket and a Superfly. I only use the later nowadays. The former is indeed tippy and is best used with the MSR pots that are grooved underneath (Bakelite?). As for the Superfly, it fits al canisters and that is a real plus when traveling a broad.

I have mentioned this on other replies aboout the pocket rocket previously, but the use of a properly designed heat shield can reduce the units fuel consumption and make it a lot easier to cook in breezy conditions. The one I rigged up is made out of flashing and fits inside my pot. I can get about 12 to 14 days out of cannister with the shield and about 10 without (heat hot water for breakfast, one pot noodle dinner for supper). With the shield in place I can simmer with the flame turned almost off.

I run a MSR titanium pot thats wide and short, I have no problems with the pot supports.

The cold weather operation is very dependent upon how full the cannister is, as it gets near empty, the unit does not operate as well in cold weather.

I wouldnt mind seeing that too nadine, a good wind screen is tough because of the height. what do you think peakbagger,can you help us out ? thanx.

Let me see what I can do on a photo. Assuming my camera is charged up I will try to get it on this evening.

Thank you all for your advice and guidance

I will pick up the stove tommorrow, as soon as club days starts, and some cannisters.

Sounds like weighing the cannisters is the best approach until you get a feel for usage.