AFTER Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Do You Like To Eat And Drink After a Hike?

• A hot meal and a cold alcoholic beverage

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • A hot meal and a cold non-alcoholic beverage

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • A cold meal (some sort of salad) and a hot beverage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A cold meal and a cold alcoholic beverage

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • A cold meal and a cold non-alcoholic beverage

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • other (please specify with a post)

Votes: 16 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
I'm sure all of us are hungry and in need of liquid refreshment after hiking. So what do you like to eat/drink after hiking? I'm using checkboxes instead of radio buttons since different types of meals are better in certain seasons.

I guess I'll start if off. After a hike I usually like a cheeseburger on the grill with a cold Long Trail Ale. I don't really do winter hiking so if it's late fall, say November then I usually like a hot casserole dish with ... a cold Long Trail Ale.

Oh, feel free to post exactly what it is you like to eat and drink. You might give somebody a great culinary idea.

:)

Mr. Mike's pizza, cold Gatorade. (Don't forget ice cream sandwiches at the Loj first.)

After a good hike, I usually go for either a steak or a burger and a cold beer. Although, last Friday after the Hancocks, I had a cup of Chicken and Corn Chowder and a Croute Route Wellington at the Woodstock Inn and cold beer (don't want to change things up too much!). :D

I don't drink alcohol, so I would have to say cold gatorade or chocolate milk in the summer. I would say turkey burgers on the grill and some pasta salad for solid food.
In the winter, hot chocolate and hot pasta or pizza.
As for culinary ideas, my wife is a pastry chef, so we generally have something nice and tasy kicking around (or available really quick) :D

Cheesburger and a Coke. Pizza is good too. It's usually whatever I start thinking about on the last mile.

For some reason a lot of times I get off the trail everything is closed. If that's the case I can always count on Stewarts although sometimes even it is closed. Last resort is always Guido's pizza in Tupper Lake, it's open until 3am. If it's closed, which has never happened, then chances are something is open for breakfast. :eek:

-Shayne

Immediately after I go with a cold beer (waiting in the cooler) and some Stewarts Salt and Pepper potato chips (also waiting in the car). This holds me over until I get some sort of real meal which always varies depending on where I am.

Pizza and a cold soda first, then a beer. I feel the need to hydrate a little bit before dehydrating again. :)

What MichaelJ said ...... except I'll take an iced-tea.

I'll second the vote for Mr Mike's pizza. That is the perfect post-hike food, along with an ice cold coke.

I order a medium white garlic pizza with chicken and bacon on it. Eat half of it right there and have the other half after we drive two hours back to our camp in Old Forge. Delicious. At least that is what I like to do for day hikes.

If I'm out on a multi-day trip we usually hit a diner type place and load up on eggs, bacon, potatoes, etc.

I've said it before, sorry for being repetitive:

Martinis and prime rib at Red Parka.

Steve

There's a Mr. Mike's right in the village of Lake Placid, roughly across the street from the Stewarts and not far from the high school. There used to be an Express at the other end of the village...I think it's gone now.

Another Mr. Mike's is located in Burlington, VT.

I'll take the opportunity to third it...great stuff for after a grueling day in the Peaks! :cool:

My answer varies according to the season, how much preplanning I do and how long I've been out hiking. In general, if I get to the car and have no food or drink in a cooler, I'll stop at the first convenience store and buy a Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream bar or something similar.

Mr. Mikes is directly across the street from High Peaks Cyclery. The have a full sit-down menu too, and I can highly recommend the fettucine alfredo. Mmmmmm...
I avoid eating at any Stewarts unless it's pre-packaged food. A friend of mine and his hiking buddy found a live maggot and a piece of broken glass in their chili at a Stewarts one time. It turns my stomach to even walk in the door now.

I usually just jump in the car and drive straight home. Once in Montreal I get out of the car and walk bandy legged into a convenience store and buy a 6 pack. (if I'm going to get home later than 11:00 which is often the case I phone my wife and have her pick me one up) Once ensconced in front of the computer I crack one open and download my day into the PC: photos and gps data. Then I partake in the pleasure of writing up a TR. After that I scrounge around in the kitchen for whatever looks edible.

Large pepperoni pizza. and maybe a beer. Mr. mikes in Burlington is pretty good. especially at about 1 in the morning, after a few post hike beers. That was back in the college years though.