Another NH 4K completion - Posted without comment

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good lord what?
I think when we are now celebrating carrying a bunny up a trail (and, yes, they are carried for some/much of the way) list-chasing has officially jumped the shark.

Felt that way for a long, long time but this takes the cake.

Well, given what Bree has been going through with a debilitating and potentially life-threatening condition, having her furry friend complete a hiking list pales in comparison.

It was a big deal for her to see Poppy complete these lists and given the current state of things (waves arms around frantically), any joy we can find is a good thing.

I agree with Ken, that any joy we can find in this world is a good thing and that to celebrate the fact that others are finding joy, even in unconventional ways that do not align with our personal standards, cannot be a bad thing. Would I bring a pet rabbit on my hikes? No, I definitely would not, but if someone else wants to, and it makes them happy, well, it's only a **** rabbit.

Well, given what Bree has been going through with a debilitating and potentially life-threatening condition, having her furry friend complete a hiking list pales in comparison.

It was a big deal for her to see Poppy complete these lists and given the current state of things (waves arms around frantically), any joy we can find is a good thing.
My first reaction reading the first few sentences of this article was not favorable to say the least. But as you point out, there is much more going on here then a list. Whatever brings some positives into this person's life is fine with me. I just wish they wouldn't "brand" the article as a list accomplishment. That is really not the story....

Some energy balls my grandmother made me 20 years ago have been carried on every hike I've done. Should I have them fill out an application?
Those must be some seriously potent energy balls to still be fueling hikes 20 years later....:p

My first reaction reading the first few sentences of this article was not favorable to say the least. But as you point out, there is much more going on here then a list. Whatever brings some positives into this person's life is fine with me. I just wish they wouldn't "brand" the article as a list accomplishment. That is really not the story....
I hope this person finds healing through this experience as the mountains I’m sure have done for many of us here. Although I agree with you on the list completion branding. I’m personally not a badge collector but this sort a thing could be demeaning to those that have actually climbed the mountains on a list. Many folks have started and completed hiking lists because of challenges in their lives including physical and mental reasons. And have done so with no acknowledgement like news articles and social media posts other than receiving a patch and there own personal accomplishment. Maybe an honorary patch acknowledging the rabbit accompanied the hiker cited in the article who actually did “All” the hiking would be more appropriate. Let’s be real this rabbit did not climb all the mountains on this list. If not this sort of thing could get carried away and other folks are going to want acknowledgment for who knows what next. It is a game and just a game and should not all be taken too seriously in my opinion but let’s not head down the road of ridiculousness in the process.

Last edited:
My 2 cents on list, bunnies and other opinions. I climb mountains because I love it, been doing it since I was 13. Most of my hikes both here and out west are unknown to the general public. I do like patches and I do belong to some online hiking groups, some of my hikes are posted there. The above being said, what others do in the mountains has little effect on me, some of it is cool, some of it drives me nuts. But what drives others is none of my business, people can and should lead their lives the way they choose. The bunny? It's ridiculous on its face, it didn't walk up every peak and it certainly doesn't know what's its out there doing in regards to a list. But I know the lady Bree who owns the rabbit. We have shared messages and I wouldn't wish her condition on anyone. If people taking her rabbit up peaks gives her joy, than by all means it's a worthy endeavor. People like her make me grateful for what I have and can still do. The world is going to shits lately, if you get a second to stop and show some empathy, it's probably worth the karma you will get out of it.

No one cares what I think, but I'll tell you anyway.
The forest is for all of us, people bringing animals, remains, or anything else that makes their life better doesn't make mine worse.
I also don't care if stupid news people say that some obvious passenger, rabbit, cat, infant completed their NH 48.
I thought I would care if "real hikers" bought into it, but really it's all just a game anyway.
And yes, I'm a friend of a friend with the Little Foot clan.