Anti-Bott Plates for Crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making my own anti-bott plates and found a few hits out on the web. There are some references to making them with milk jug plastic and attaching them with zip ties... but more use duct tape to attach. I would think the tape wouldn't really last.

Has anyone got any experience with either? Or something else?

Any other sage advice?

My wallet thanks you.

I have some nylon based plastic sheet stuff at work called Kydex. It has worked great and is tough as nails. I've pop riveted it to snowshoes n crampons and it hasn't come off in years. Keeps the snowballs off very nicely.

e-mail me your address and I can send you some if you want?

I bought a few small sheets of waterproof river bag material from Ragged Mt and made my own last year. It was towards the end of the year but it was still holding strong after 2 hikes. I have some left if you want some to try. I work in Bath and go to Freeport twice a month, and I'll be down there this Friday.

Seems everyone is in the holiday spirit on VFTT!

I asked a question about how to do something and got two offers of materials to do the job. I'd say that's proof that all is not bad in the world, after all.:)

Happy THANKSgiving, folks!

I've used detergent bottle plastic with good results. A few zip ties will break after each outing. I achieved better results with bailing wire.

Balling up is usually only a problem with rigid frame crampons, ones used for technical climbing. I've never had a problem with hinged crampons.

I second paul ron's use of kydex, I also use it with excellent results. I have a buddy who uses one of those cheap blue plastic roll up snow sleds that you can buy for around 5 bucks, enough material to last you for years. I glue mine on with shoe goo and the very thin picture hanging wire and they generally last a season or more.

Was looking to make some for my crampons. What web site did you find good directions on? The only one I hit was vague (no good pictures). I need fairly good directions. Thanks
Ken

Plates are on but it's been a snow shoe kind of year so far! Got some good pictures and will post them in a bit.....

Pics are here.

I used zip ties to hold them on and have yet to test them but they seem pretty sturdy.

Thanks for the website and for the pics. Between the two of them I should be able to make them. The crampons you have are the same that I have so it should work. Thanks for the help.
Ken

Stach looks good. I hope the zip ties hold up.

BTW your crampons are set up for ridgid boots not flex, regualr boots. Ridgid is hard to walk in, flex will make walking in em a pleasure using plain hiking boots. All you have to do is move the bar to the one slot instead of passing it through both slots.

I also modified my strap system using a spade buckle so I don't have to fight with threading em n figuring out how to tie em off all the time. For some reason those straps don't hold a knot for squat.

My plates are the Pezle Irvus sold at EMS.

Last edited:
Stach looks good. I hope the zip ties hold up.

BTW your crampons are set up for ridgid boots not flex, regualr boots. Ridgid is hard to walk in, flex will make walking in em a pleasure using plain hiking boots. All you have to do is move the bar to the one slot instead of passing it through both slots.

Thanks for seeing that Paul. You've got an eye for detail.