Anybody been to Norway?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudgy_groundhog

Reaction score
A friend and I are kicking around the idea of going to Norway. I've ordered a few books and did some prelim research on the internet, but wanted to hear from somebody who has been there. If somebody has, I can PM you with specifics. Thanks!

Ja da. I've traveled generally throughout the Oslo -- Bergen -- Trondheim triangle with a jaunt up to Harstad as well. I used to teach Norwegian and I have family roots there. Send me a PM and I'll be happy to give some pointers.

For general info, a good first stop is the English language version of Den Norske Turistforening (The Norwegian Tourist Association) web site. ("Turist" in Norwegian is "foot-traveler," not "geegaw-buying rubbernecker.")

Yeah, long time ago. No hiking, just sightseeing (ship was in Arendal for port visit). Only thing that I remember was the long daylight. Oslo is about the same lattitude as Anchorage, AK so it never gets too dark in summer. Some people like that...it drives me nuts.

Yes!

Back when I was a younger robot, and before I met Mrs. Robo (1979), I traveled from south to as far north as Nordkapp for the midnight sun.
I didn't speak the language,or do much hiking,but, what a great time I had.
What a beautiful country. Have a great time.

Norway is incredibly beautiful, especially in the West Coast area and above the Arctic Circle. I especially liked going from Voss via the train from Myrdal to Flam down to the Sognefjord and then exploring by ferry and hiking.

The opportunities for hiking are unlimited, once you get established. The problem is trying to see everything, and also getting from point to point.

Norway is a very expensive place. Food, transportation, and lodging all induce sticker shock. But the Norwegians are some of the friendliest and most hospitable people I've ever met.