Anybody Recommend This Book?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
Have any of you on this board ever taken a look at or own this book. Would you recommend it? I'm looking for a book with some good, condensed trail maps. I have the AMC Guide Book for the White's and while I find it to be good and helpful I also find that the maps are good for locating trails and getting an idea as to the terrain and elevations. This book, from what I can tell from the web page seems to have maps that are more trail specific.

I'm thinking of purchasing it, I was just wondering if anybody can offer an objective point of view on it. I'd appreciate it. :)

Hiker's Guide to the Mountains of New Hampshire By: Jared Gange

http://www.letsclimb.com/hikersnh.htm

I have copies of The hikers guide to NH and The hikers guide to VT and use them as a reference to the AMC guide or my TOPO! software.

The book describes each of the 4000 footers plus other interesting hikes. I found them to be great for hiking the specific trail listed in the book. Some of the descriptions for more advanced hikes are lacking detail such as the bonds and Isolation. The maps give the gist of trails and elevations however are not 100% accurate.

As a beginner hiker I thought they were an awesome reference as used them constantly. As my experience grows I find the AMC guide is the best reference for trail details and maps.

Hope this helps.

HockeyPuck said:
I have copies of The hikers guide to NH and The hikers guide to VT and use them as a reference to the AMC guide or my TOPO! software.

The book describes each of the 4000 footers plus other interesting hikes. I found them to be great for hiking the specific trail listed in the book. Some of the descriptions for more advanced hikes are lacking detail such as the bonds and Isolation. The maps give the gist of trails and elevations however are not 100% accurate.

As a beginner hiker I thought they were an awesome reference as used them constantly. As my experience grows I find the AMC guide is the best reference for trail details and maps.

Hope this helps.

Thanks HockeyPuck that was helpful. I think I'll purchase the book on AMAZON.COM. I figure if I use the AMC Guidebook along with this book as a supplement that it'll make for good use.

Love that Penguins fan.
:)

I think I have the New England edition. It is useful in general planning, like deciding what would be an interesting new place to go. But the maps lack enough detail to be very useful. The AMC guide is much more thorough but a little dry at time; this book gives descriptions that make you want to go check things out.