aquaseal map sealant, Any good?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onrhodes

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with Aquaseal map sealant? How about any other map sealants out there?
I've just got a nice map of the Whites that I want to protect and be able to whip out on the trail if need be. So, needless to say I am interested in protecting it.
I know about the map holders and such, but this map sealant seems to be like a pretty good idea if you ask me.

Thank in advance for your responses.

Long ago, I used Thompson's water seal with decent results - Plus it is a bonus freebie if you have any left over from doing your deck. :D I have never used mapseal, though I have heard it is basically the same stuff as other water seals but a bit more expensive.
I am now just plain cheap - I fold my map and place it in a gallon size ziplock and use it as a mapcase.

I also would like to hear others experience with mapseal.

Last edited:
Aquaseal... have used the stuff. In a pinch, it works okay, but...

First choice - Tyvek maps

Second choice - put map in zip-lock bag (with route visible)

Third choice - Aquaseal

Tried it, worked for minor moisture never tried anything worse. Tyvec is still best. Can't get the hang of map cases or bags. I prefer to fold the map so most of the trail is on one "panel" and just stuff it in my pants pocket. The aquaseal worked for that. -- Jim

Ever since I put aquaseal on my maps, it hasn't rained on me...coincidence? Or not? So I'm afraid it's untested. Be warned - the aquaseal does affect the feeling of the map - it becomes parchment-like and very slightly wrinkled (which makes sense when you realise you have just painted the map with a liquid, albeit one designed to protect it).

While not having any experience with Aquaseal, I am an avid user of the gallon Ziploc method. Another thing to consider is don't use your expensive maps on the trail. Use one that's printed from mapping software (Topo, Delorme, etc.), or downloaded from Maptech,Topozone or Terraserver. You can get them dirty and wet, when you're done with them, into the recycling bin.

I tried it YEARS ago. These days, I just photocopy the section of the map I need, and take that in a small ziplock, keeping the real map well sealed in another ziplock, as backup (on bushwhacks).

Of course, this doesn't work if I am doing something long, such as the Northville Placid trail.

I posted this recently in another thread. I have found that spraying a paper map (both sides) with Krylon clear spray paint works very well to prevent water marks and withstand more abuse. Krylon is easy to find in stores. (Though I still carry maps and compass in a ziplock you often may want to take it out to open up fully and the conditions along with your hands may be wet so this helps greatly.)