Aron Ralston keeps going

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks,
Just got back from a solo of 2 14ers, I thought about this thread while I was up there. I know IM not like most of you and for that I am glad, not to say there's something wrong with you IM just glad IM who I am and that I do not live like you. To call me selfish says it all, a complete lack of understanding about what I do, thats ok, I know and understand how a person like that lives.
I am not selfish, I work with the homeless and plan to work with abused childen as well, so if you feel IM selfish thats your hangup. I am single, my family does not think IM selfish at all, they love me and I love them. The beauty of it, is they love me for who I am and accept me for who I am as well.
I am not reckless, I love life more then I could put into words, thats exactly why I do what I do, to experience life to the fullest, if you find hiking in a group, leaving a plan, carrying a cell phone challenging all the power to you, please realize Im not even knocking it, thats the difference between those who post harse words against my way and me, Im willing to say, your way works for you, then thats ok, Im happy for you and have not a negative word to say about you.
Most focus their lives on familys, houses, cars, kids, there civilized to a tee, Im a adventurer, my belongings fit in a small trailer, I loathe material things they mean nothing, I own what I need to live and climb, my most prized possesions are in my head and heart.
Man people are so critical of others, the world is a harsh place, because people judge others and have contempt for any way that differs from theirs. People need to sit back and realize its the very difference in peoples ways, creeds and lives that make this world so interesting, do you want everyone to be like you.
OH one more thing, dont throw the search and rescue thing at me, if your hearts not in SAR then dont do it, your job is to go out and help people not judge them.
Sherpajohn, you seem like an interesting person, when I get back to NH maybe we can head out and climb something, I could use some intersting converstaion after all these solo's :eek:

Um, no one called you selfish or reckless, Sierra, and having re-read every post on this thread, I can't figure out who or what you're lashing out at. No one here really cares whether Ralston (or anyone else for that matter) wants to endanger himself ... it's when he draws others into his self-generated dramas through poor decision-making that some of us have issues with. He has become something of a celebrity and many neophytes look to his example ... which is a bad one.

I'd also add that some of those who have posted here have some of the most impressive outdoors resumes in this part of the country and as such are very qualified to express their opinions.

No problem Sierra, when you get back here.. we'll hook up for some kind of reckless fun.

I would like to add however, that I can sympathize with what Mark S. points out about Ralston becoming a sort of celebrity. He will forever, or at least for now, be scrutinized under a public micorscope with everything he does. Its no fun, but such is life I suppose.

;)

Maddy, thanks for your thoughtful reply, One thing I would like to point out is that Messner did not deliberately put himself in a situation he knew was dangerous and Messner has backed off of more than one Himalayan climb them. What little I know of Ralston is that Ralston is that he seeks out dangerous and then puts himself in them and expects SAR to come ot save his sorry butt. I have not read the book. I do not know if I will or not. I do know that some of Ralston’s stunts are foolhardy. I have climbed Capitol Peak and there is no way any one could get me to go up there in the winter period. It is difficult enough in the summer the Knife-Edge the easiest route is tough long and exposed. Here is a photo of it http://www.summitpost.org/mountains...98&type=mountain&mountain_id=398&route_id=197 is a photo of it. (Note the Climbers should be wearing helmets) Now imagine that with a cornice and the usual high winds the Rockies get in the winter. The mountain is one huge avalanche trap. A great climb with out dangerous Snow. Skiing down a slope highly prone to Avalanche is and knowing it is beyond my comprehension. I think what bothers people is that Ralston gets off on danger and dragging others in to his foolish stunts top save his sorry behind.
A good solo climber to look up to and is also a very decent person is Ed Vistuers. (SP?)

Serria I too do not see where any one is attacking you at all. As Mark S said “No one here really cares whether Ralston (or anyone else for that matter) wants to endanger himself ... it's when he draws others into his self-generated dramas through poor decision-making that some of us have issues with. “
That is the whole point not going solo. AS For SAR
Many in SAR do so as volunteers, they usually do not criticize. When they do it is usually well placed. They go willing and what makes them upset is not a novice mistake but allegedly experienced climber or hiker knowingly doing really dangerous things. This would be Ralston.. Maybe his next stunt will be to jump off the Diamond on Longs Peak as a faster way off. I hear the boulder field is a nice crash pad.
If you want to go out in to 14,000 ft peaks alone and not tell any one where you are going that is your business. I feel bad for the SAR folks who will be sent out by a concerned person to look for you. . Maybe you can leave a Do Not Rescue note behind. Saving a lot of trouble and possibly lives.

The Mrs. and I don't feel strongly on one side or the other of this argument, but we have a question:

If young Mr. Ralston fails to tell anyone where he's going and then gets hurt, then how could he be "putting SAR folks at risk?" Would he use a cellphone and call for help? :confused:

I dont know why I get drawn into these things, really I just want to climb.
Hey sherpajohn, dont worry when it comes to the Whites, I can come up with many adventures, just one question though, do we have to leave a note with anyone when we go :eek: Just kidding :D
I

Sierra....I cannot shake Aron's "hand" but I can shake yours via cyberspace.
I wish you well on all your adventures. It takes guts to do what you do.
IF you were selfish you would not be doing the kind of work that you do. Your job must be very difficult and demanding. Being in a "caring profession" I know how much it can drain you and the mountains can nourish your soul.
Enjoy!

Outdoor Recklessness

Sierra wrote "I dont know why I get drawn into these things, really I just want to climb. Hey sherpajohn, dont worry when it comes to the Whites, I can come up with many adventures, just one question though, do we have to leave a note with anyone when we go. Just kidding."

Although we do not have sign-in boxes at trail-heads in the Whites, there is a voluntary sign-in box next to the parking lot at the south end of Profile Lake in Franconia Notch for climbers heading to Cannon Cliff, our most formidable rock and ice climbing area in NH. At one time there was also a sign-in log book for ice climbers on Mt. Washington.

NH has had a state law for the past few years that allows us to be sued for our stupid mistakes if we put rescuers at risk. To date, I believe at least four groups have been sued for restitution of rescue expenses incurred.

A lot of folks are still upset over the death of Albert Dow, who was killed in an avalanche on a rescue attempt of two missing ice climbers on Mt. Washington in 1982. One of the rescuees was Hugh Herr, who at the time was a teenager and had no knowledge about how to descend after completing the most difficult ice climb in Huntington Ravine. If a similar tragedy were to re-occur today, someone in Herr's position no doubt would be sued. Since his accident, Herr has spent his career earning a PhD in EE, doing cutting edge research making protheses for those who have lost limbs, such as he did from severe frostbite, and states that never a day goes by when he does not think about Albert.

Dr. Dasypodidae

RGF1 said:
I do know that some of Ralston’s stunts are foolhardy. I have climbed Capitol Peak and there is no way any one could get me to go up there in the winter period. It is difficult enough in the summer the Knife-Edge the easiest route is tough long and exposed. Here is a photo of it http://www.summitpost.org/mountains...98&type=mountain&mountain_id=398&route_id=197 is a photo of it. (Note the Climbers should be wearing helmets) Now imagine that with a cornice and the usual high winds the Rockies get in the winter.
In his book, Aron has a picture from the summit of Capital of his footprints crossing that ridge. I'm not sure which one puckers my sensitive body parts more, the winter or the summer traverse photos. :eek:

BTW, what good would helmets do along the knife edge? There is no above for something to fall from, and no protective gear is going to save your butt/head if you become the falling object. (note, I'm just kidding here...)

Tony

Just finished the book...

I was intrigued by the book when I saw it in the store. However, the obvious intent to capitalize on tragedy was a turnoff, so I didn't buy it.

But I still wanted to hear the story...so I got the book at the library. I thought it was very well written, and a very compelling story. I couldn't put it down.

His athleticism, physical endurance and perserverence are remarkable. It was interesting to hear how he became a peakbagger, what motivated him. I was impressed with his ability to survive his entrapment in the canyon.

But one thing was clear...this guy thrives on risk...the more the better. He recounted numerous tales of near death experiences before the 2003 incident, that were due to either lack of knowledge and preparation, impulsivity, poor judgment, perhaps a sense of immortality, or just plain wanting to show off. He also seemed very self-absorbed. Probably not someone I would want to know or hike with.

I too, was amazed that he hadn't gotten himself killed prior to the incident which brought him fame in 2003. Many of these incidents didn't involve solo winter hiking at all. I don't think winter solo hiking of 14ers is the issue here.

The other thing that struck me as weird is how he got off on the whole accident/amputation/rescue scenario. He was snapping pictures the whole time, thinking about what a great story he would have to tell his friends about cutting off his arm. Knowing the outcome, he said he would make the same choices if he had it to do over again. How strange is that?

Returning the book

I received the book for my birthday last week. I'm returning it. Buy some jazz or a dvd of a classic movie.

It is good to know when to trun back..

It certainly is important to know when to turn back. For me there also have been very few times that I have turned back, however I did turn back this past weekend.

I hiked Sugarloaf in 30 degree weather, which is not too cold. However it was windy up top above the trees and My clothes were a bitr damp from the hike up. I was tempted to hike the ridge over to Spaulding but decided against it. I am glad I chose not to hike to Spaulding because I might have gotten hypothermia. Instead, it was a 10 minute ski back to the base.

To me some people just choose to live closer to the edge then most others. I know first hand as a soloist, many people knock the way I climb as they do arron's. From my point of view, people who live conservativly, knock adventurous people because part of them wishes they could also push themselves to such limits. Will anyone admit to this? heck no they wont.
I say Arrons a great climber, his descisions however reckless are his, they are his consequences as well. I bet he spends very little time wishing he did more with his life, do you? ah forget it, you wont admitt it anyway.

Dateline NBC

In case you missed it the first time, NBC is rebroadcasting the two hour Dateline episode with Aron Ralston and Tom Brokaw. It's on at 8pm tonight.

It is a fascinating story and the program is well done. Brokaw goes back with Ralston to the Utah canyon where Ralston cut off his arm to save his own life.