Ascending or descending views on loop trails; which do you prefer?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
There have been many times that I have done loop trails where one side has great views and the other side is simply a walk in the deep woods. Given minimal differences in hiking difficulty, do you prefer to have your best views while ascending or descending a loop?

Thanks,
Marty

For me its no question

Had nothing to do with the views but steepness of the trail...I'll always take the steeper one up and less steep one down :D

That being said, if it were equal, I'd probably take views on the way up....you have much longer to appreciate them...

Up

It is real hard to enjoy the views when you are walking down steep terrain. I learned this yesterday first hand on the Owl's Head slide. I actually got to look at Franconia Ridge a lot more on my way up when I was catching my breath than on the way down when I was watching my feet and all of the rocks sliding away from me!

Up

I love the way the view unfolds and keeps on getting better every time I stop and turn around. (and catch my breath) Going down the same route I watch the panorama shrink which reminds me that the best is behind me.

It doesn't matter to me. When moving, I mostly watch where I am going with glances around at the surroundings. If the view is good enough, I will stop and look. And if need be, I will even turn around to look...

Doug

Last edited:
If I had to choose one or the other, I'd prefer the views on the way up. The views would offer a reward for the effort to get to them and encourage me to continue to the top where they'd be even better.

on the way up.

I prefer them on the way up for a few reasons.
1) It gives me time to stop and catch my breath.
2) the views keep getting better as a reward for the effort
3) The best views are usually at or near the summit (The views just go down hill from there. Pun intended)

I also like to take the steeper route up, this way usually also has better views. This is a question I have been meaning to post on a separate thread.

Last edited:
Down

I prefer to push myself and finish the climbing earlier. On the way out I feel more free to spend ample time to enjoy the views, knowing the bulk of the hike is done.

More important to me is the direction of light and the time of day I will be at the views. Some views are better in the morning, others in the afternoon. I plan the direction of a loop to optimize the views. On some loops it will be a compromise, and that is just a good reason to go back for a another hike and reverse the loop.

On the other point of steepness. If the timing of views is not an issue I will always take the steep trail up and hike out the longer easy way. That works best for my 54 year old knees.

Last edited:
Usually the terrain decides, for instance, Ammo/Jewell Loop, steepness of Ammo decides & terrain of Jewell allows some looking up.

Best big peak example I can think of in NH is Franconia Loop where neither way up is too much harder than the other. In winter I prefer up OBP/Greenleaf down FW as it's possible going beyond the hut is unwise & you get some views on the way. Other seasons I prefer up Falling Waters down OBP where you get almost no view until the ridge & views down Greenleaf to the hut & then some on OBP where you can reflect on where you are coming from...

Definitely on the way up. The only problem I find is that I tend to take a lot of pictures at the first outlook or decent view, only to get a better one a few yards up the trail. Happens every time.

The exception would be the aforementioned Franconia Loop, where I prefer to take the OBP down instead of slipping and sliding down the Falling Waters Trail.

Like I brake for moose, I also brake for great views. If I have a descent with impeccable views, it just means the descent is going to take a long time. Even if I'm hiking with people who are scampering down ahead of me, oh well, I'll see you back at the car...

Speaking of braking for moose ... has anyone been to the Bennington Moosefest yet? After playing on a section of the LT yesterday, I popped down for an Old 76 and did some moose peeping. Some beautiful work!

Here's a sample ... and I'll edit in a webshots link to the set later ...