Baxter State Park "Opening Day" under consideration

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
"Opening Day" is the date in January when die-hard adventurers camp out in the frozen parking lot of an early Soviet block-style motel in Millinockett Maine to be first in "The Line" for BSP summer reservations. I went once; it's a blast and a cultural institution unique to BSP, in the northeast at least. It has its own rules, monitors, self-appointed SAR who check to make sure that shapeless lumps in sleeping bags in lawn chairs are in fact still alive, a well-defined honor system (about bathroom breaks, what constitutes "camping out," etc.), and a really nice Park Authority officer (Buzz) who gets there at 4 a.m. to pass out hot coffee and donuts free of charge. This year, the number of reservations available at Opening Day was greatly reduced, and it looks like the BSP Authority is thinking of axing it altogether. I received an email this morning with this in it:

"The group that oversees the park will hold a meeting in mid May at Daicey
Pond. Among the items to be considered is whether some type of modified
opening day (as we had this year) will continue to be part of the new
reservation system."

The emailer asks for letters in support of the tradition. If you'd like to write one, PM me with your email address and I'll forward the whole email to you with relevant addresses, model letters, and so forth.

I don't really want to debate pros and cons although I expect that others might want to. As I understand it, the tradition began as a way to give local Mainers a leg up on their state park reservations. Whether that's still the case I could not say. There were a lot of outta-staters (like me).

Just to clarify: Under the new guidelines, Maine residents still get first dibs on reservations.

On a side note, is it possible to show up at Baxter and do a day hike (provided the weather cooperates)? Do they limit the number of people in the park? Thanks

Mainers don 't get "first dibs" but a certain percentage of campsites each day are held for residents, and I don't think that's ever been met. That's always been the rule, nothing new.

Oh, and I'd like to add...bring back the old system and the "true" opening day!

Last edited:
In a sense, we do get first dibs. Both arguments are correct:

From the Baxter State Park website:

An average of 30% of campground lean-to and tent site facilities shall be set aside for Maine resident advance reservations. These sites will be held for Maine residents until seven (7) days prior to the actual use date. After which time, unreserved sites will be released to either residents or non-residents.

well okay, I won't argue the point.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I went once; it's a blast and a cultural institution unique to BSP, in the northeast at least.

I agree - though I've always mailed in my reservations requests, I had the pleasure of volunteering at a traditional Opening Day, and it was great fun! I had a blast with the staff and the participants...was even offered a job at one of the campgrounds...would love to do it again, but haven't been successful getting that day off...
:(

I've obtained reservations both by mail and by attendance at "opening day". Change doesn't come easy but I'd like to see it go through the trial basis as intended before deciding one way or the other. I'm sure there are already lessons learned that could improve the rolling reservation system.

One thing that would help their staff tremendously would be a computerized system. Last I knew (opening day '04) they were still entering reservations in pencil in huge ledgers. Off the shelf reservation software might not work here given the rules and regulations surrounding the reservations so whatever system they implement should be well tested before they rely on it.

However, a new computerized system AND a new rolling reservation system at the same time might require a trainload of antiacids for the staff!

another point...

on a given day, they open mail from Maine first. they did this under the old system and according to their website, they will continue to do it. That means when they receive (on the same day) Tramper Al's, Sherpa's, Seema's, and my reservations for the September Tramper Al Extravaganza, I will get the first reservation :D

the next step is to enter the reservation system into a computer. It could be a fancy program built for such things or a relatively simple but functional customized spreadsheet or database app.

If they go the database route, it would of course lend itself nicely to an online reservation system. I doubt that will come anytime soon though.

there's a certain stubborn charm that the Park maintains as part of its personality.

spencer

spencer said:
another point...
on a given day, they open mail from Maine first. That means when they receive (on the same day) Tramper Al's, Sherpa's, Seema's, and my reservations for the September Tramper Al Extravaganza, I will get the first reservation :D
I know! And since Maine is no longer part of Massachusetts (that's official now, right?), I may be begging a bunk from one of the Mainiacs for my own extravagance.

I actually don't care much how the system works, if it's more or less fair. As long as it continues to be unnecessarily complicated, it will favor the highly motivated, so that's fine. Getting into Fenway Park is just a point and click, and look how tough that has become.

on a given day, they open mail from Maine first. they did this under the old system and according to their website, they will continue to do it.

yep, that's the way it goes...

A few years ago, the park did some computerization of the reservations (mainly it's a camper list) but frankly I hope that's it...I like calling the park and hearing them say, "let me go get that book..."
:)