BD Zenix IQ

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Anybody else notice that the weight listed on the cardboard backing is different thant he weight listed on the instruction manual? What's up with that, kind of like false advertising! Was going to ask BD about that, as I'm more curious than anything. Others that may care, might be interested that the weight on the instruction manual that you can't see from the outside is heavier than what is printed on the cardboard.

Jay...

I've got the Zenix IQ and love it. I've been doing some evening trail running just for a reason to use it..

I didn't notice the discrepancy in weights between packaging & users guide and doubt that I still have the packaging but will look..

Is it possible that the higher weight includes the 2 AA batteries??

Well, BD publishes two weights, one without and one with batteries, but both weights differ. I don't remember the specifics and didn't bother to analyze it, but they are different. I just sent BD an email. They also have the weights listed on the website when you compare the models...

I tried it out on a sunset paddle friday night, the focused hyperbrite LED is pretty strong, but then I've seen it before in the catskills and it's certainly lighter than my Petzle Myo 3 belt version.

Jay

I have often seen inconsistent weights for gear. Battery weights and scales also vary.

The Zenix IQ is one of my favorite headlamps--a good review is at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/blackdiamond_zenix-iq.htm.
(More headlamp reviews are at: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_headlamps.htm.)

The Zenix IQ has 6 intensity levels (the lower 3 are very similar to my Princeton Tech Aurora). It also contains a regulator in addition to multiple intensity settings. The regulator keeps the light output constant over a range of battery voltages--thus the output is the same for new and partially discharged alkalines as well as NiMH rechargables and lithiums.

.......................................... mA .................. mw ............... battery
PTec Aurora ............. 40/100/220 . 180/450/990 ...... 3x AAA alk

BD Zenix IQ, high .. 120/230/480 . 360/690/1440 .... 2x AA alk
BD Zenix IQ, low ...... 30/ 50/ 90 ...... 90/150/ 270 ..... 2x AA alk
BD Zenix IQ, high .. 140/300/680 . 350/750/1700 .... 2x AA NiMH
BD Zenix IQ, low ...... 30/ 50/110 ..... 75/125/ 275 ..... 2x AA NiMH
(My measurements.)

Current and wattage should be very similar for lithiums and new alkalines.

Doug

Last edited: