Bear Canister

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
I just tried out our new bear canister and found that it's on the small side for me and my kids. I wish I could cram everything into it, but my son was complaining that he was going to be hungry the next day because I couldn't bring our usualy pound of junk with us.

I was glad I was only packing the food we needed for the next day and not anymore because there definately wasn't anymore room left. I guess I have to learn to eat better and lighter or enjoy crumbs.

Does anyone have a large one they want to trade out?

What kind of canister is it? Unless you're talking about the BV 250 solo, you're not going to see alot of difference in sizes as far as I know.

jbrown said:
What kind of canister is it? Unless you're talking about the BV 250 solo, you're not going to see alot of difference in sizes as far as I know.

EMS sells 2 different sized bear canisters. One is a good bit taller than the other.

I Don't know the exact sizes or model numbers, but they're out there...

Last edited:
EMS sells 2 *VERY* different sized bear canisters.
Hence my question, which one is it? Bearvault makes the BV250 Solo and the BV300. One is "half" the size of the other one. Other than the BV250, all other canisters are very similar in size.

BearVault sizes

Tom Rankin said:
EMS sells 2 *VERY* different sized bear canisters. One is at least 2x as tall as the other. Don't know the exact sizes or model numbers, but they're out there...

The BV-250 is 8.75 inches in diameter and about 8 inches tall. The BV-300 is the same diameter and a little over 12 inches tall. But I know what you mean, the 12 incher looks enormous and doesnt fit well in any pack I own, including my trusty old Jansport D-3 full frame pack.

ADK Rick

I got the BearVault Solo figuring if it was 1 per for 4 days we could use it for an overnighter but it seems too small for me. I guess if I smash everything to pieces or squash it flat, it'll fit. Yummy!!!!

rhihn said:
For tips on packing, download the article "Care and Feeding of your Bear Canister" here:

http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/health/bears.asp

Those are great tips, Dick. Thanks for the link. I too have been amazed how quick my 3/4 size Bear Vault fills up. Tortillas didn't even occur to me, but now that I think of it, it's pretty obvious. I also love rice and beans. Mmm, rice and beans...

Matt