Bear Photos from in and around the Hudson Valley

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090609/NEWS/90514019

I note that a lot of these photos depict the results of people not securing their garbage...

Yeah, that's a shame. Fed bear, dead bear. Some NH towns have garbage ordinances now to discourage inadvertent bear feeding. Not my town, but anybody who leaves garbage out here soon learns the consequences. I once left garbage in the back of a capped pu overnight for an early morning dump run. Sometime during the night, the bear climbed up on a front tire and landed on the hood, dented it, jumped on the roof of the cab, dented that, walked down the aluminum cap, crumpled that, and pried open the cap door, bent it, then pulled out all the garbage from that position and strewed it all over the driveway. An amazing performance that wreaked maximum damage on the pu! There was 1--one--empty catfood can in that garbage; the rest was paper and washed-out bottle recyle.

Great photos. One of the biggest black bears I've ever seen was crossing the Clove Valley Rd in Poughquag one morning when I was driving to work. He was in no hurry and I basically had to stop the car and wait for him! I would estimate his size at five hundred pounds, about the size of a small pony with short legs. :eek:
note:not a professional wildlife biologist, just guessin'

A sow and 3 cubs were shot by the police on 5-24-09. They were breaking into some homes,and were being hand fed by people.:mad: That would be in the town of Hunter N.Y.. The bears had been a problem for some time.They lost their fear of humans.The article was in the Olive press last week.

Last edited: