Bear proof cannister

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMM

Reaction score
I understand that bear proof cannisters will be required in the ADKs this summer. I have a question for those of you who have used them before. Where do you put them at night if you sleep in a lean-to or a tent? Do you need to hang them on a branch? Do they need to be many feet away from your tent? Many thanks.

EMM

200 feet away should do it. They do not need to be hung - that's the beauty of using them. Just place them where they aren't real easy to roll around. Otherwise, if the bears decide to play with them, it might take a hwhile to find the canister :eek: Wedging them between rocks, downed trees is a good thing to do.

They should not be hung, because a fall onto a rock has been known to crack open the door. Do as the wise Sherpa K has instructed. Actually, I've left mine right in front of the lean-to a few times, with my camera at the ready ... hoping to attract some critters! No luck ...

Is there official word that they will in fact be required this summer? If so, are there specific areas where they will be required? I thought it was being "seriously considered" or somthing to that effect, but nothing definitive. I use one anyway, but I was just wondering.

rhihn said:
Is there official word that they will in fact be required this summer? If so, are there specific areas where they will be required? I thought it was being "seriously considered" or somthing to that effect, but nothing definitive. I use one anyway, but I was just wondering.

I don’t think it has been made official yet, but the area that will require them is the Eastern High Peaks, the same area where there is the fire ban.

Although I've never used them in the past (mostly a day hiker, and I otherwise stay away from lean-tos), some friends claim that wrapping the canniaters in bright, reflective tape aids in their recovery should they become "bear soccer balls" in the night.

Another reason not to hang your canister (other than it being unnecessary work) is that if a bear does get it down, it may give the bear something to hold onto to carry it off.

Avoid stashing your canister where it could get knocked around and roll down hill, off a cliff or into a stream.

Not that there was any doubt, but they're out! I saw my first bear of the season this morning, a good-looking young adult bounding across the road near So. Moat Mt. :)

Of corse, they're especially hungry right now!

Last edited:
After reviewing what is offered and the prices, I must say I'm a little under-whelmed.
I wonder if any one has tried some more readily available options, like a 1 or 2 gallon spackle bucket,
or the plastic containers Costco sells food in.
I realize in regulated areas this wouldn't fly, but in areas that aren't yet regulated it might be an option.

Chip said:
I wonder if any one has tried some more readily available options, like a 1 or 2 gallon spackle bucket, or the plastic containers Costco sells food in.
Bears are large, strong, and persistent. Bear cannisters are strong and shaped so that a bear cannot get its jaws around it.

Your spackle bucket or food container might stop/slow a rodent, but a knowledgeable bear will have a quick feast.

The regulations are based upon tests with caged bears and are intended to keep people from using inadequate solutions that will continue the cycle of bears seeking (and getting) hikers food.

Doug

Last edited:
Chip said:
I wonder if any one has tried some more readily available options, like a 1 or 2 gallon spackle bucket, or the plastic containers Costco sells food in.
I realize in regulated areas this wouldn't fly, but in areas that aren't yet regulated it might be an option.

Might be an option, but it wouldn'T work. Then there are those who construct their own out of PVC. There are several things about the bear canisters that make them effective.

Their large size is important. Any smaller, and bears could get their mouth around it and crush it. Bears jaws and teeth are strong. I have a frying pan with bear teeth holes in it.

The other, as DP mentioned, is that there is nothing that the bear can grab it with. If you make something out of PVC, you'll have edges with which a bear can hold and apply force.

Although tested with blacks and grizleys, I don't beleive they work with polar bears.

I'm afraid I don't get this: Do you mean like this:

Garcia Bear-Resistant Container
$69.95

as mentioned in REI.com?

Is a hiker to add this to his pack?

How does one keep the weight of one's pack under sixty pounds?

I wonder if any one has tried some more readily available options, like a 1 or 2 gallon spackle bucket,

There was a display outside the ADK Loj last year when I was there. Tent torn to shreds, sleeping pad with claw marks all over it, and what appeared to be a 10 gallon pickle jar that was totally demolished. I won't repeat anything everyone else has said, just reinforce the points...

I use the Bear Vault , now available in the lighter solo size. (The larger one makes a great seat too.) I wouldn't use anything homemade unless I was an engineer with great materials on hand...

I hear you, I'm sure it's not worth the trouble it might cause, but when I got a look at this;

wildernessdining_1841_124906

I couldn't help but wonder. It looks pretty simple.
I also wonder about their "patent pending" closing system, it looks to be a screw on lid.

It is a screw lid with two small nubs on opposite sides which "click" into place, locking the lid. Unless a bear can hold it between his knees and twist the lid in the right direction, he's not getting in. The edge of the lid sits down in a channel denying the opportunity for a bear to get it's claws under it and pry it open.

--M. said:
I'm afraid I don't get this: Do you mean like this:
Garcia Bear-Resistant Container
$69.95
as mentioned in REI.com?
Is a hiker to add this to his pack?
How does one keep the weight of one's pack under sixty pounds?
I'm afraid I don't 'get' your question. If a 2-3 lb container is all it takes to put your pack weight over 60 lbs, then is not the horse is already out of the barn?

jbrown said:
I use the Bear Vault , now available in the lighter solo size. (The larger one makes a great seat too.)
It would seem that the Bear Vault is definitely preferable to the other two common brands out there, yes? It is significantly lighter, has more choices for sizes, and seems to be fully approved for black bear country. Have I got that right? Do you think that vendors are gearing up for July 1?

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
Although tested with blacks and grizleys, I don't beleive they work with polar bears.
Don't need too--a polar bear will happily eat you first.

Hiking in PB territory is one place where people don't argue about carrying guns...

Doug

jbrown said:
It is a screw lid with two small nubs on opposite sides which "click" into place, locking the lid. Unless a bear can hold it between his knees and twist the lid in the right direction, he's not getting in. The edge of the lid sits down in a channel denying the opportunity for a bear to get it's claws under it and pry it open.

thanks. It appears more thought went into these than I had guessed.

Last edited: