Bearly Live Activities _hikes, boats, bikes and etc

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

In Rembrance , July 2024
Reaction score
Beyond the main musical and partying attraction of the weekend, I am starting this thread for the posting of trips and activities that folks might want company with over the weekend.

I have not yet decided on what I am doing. Some options (which all include an optional stop at Sunday River Brewing)

Twist my arm and be willing to do some long car spots and I would be gladly guide a one day trip through Mahoosuc notch and a bushwhack out via Bull Branch road, included in the deal would be a dip in the headwaters of the Sunday river at the end of the day. Logistically its a PITA, but hiking wise its not a lot of an ascent and a long gradual descent. This requires a minimum of two cars.

Alternatively, its probably perfect timing for a hike up Andover White Cap for the views and to fill up on blueberries. Probably the best spot for blueberries in the area and the views cant be beat for the minimal effort. Also a good chance to check out the access to a major backcountry skiing spot. This is a short day up and down but I would like to spend a couple of hours on top filling up my pack with berries.

Another choice, the Baldpates via Frye Brook Trail. Nice gradual climb to great views.

I dont know the Grafton loop trail but there appears to be some great potential day hikes.

There are also a lot of great paddling along the Androscoggin in the area if anyone needs some recomendations. I will have a kayak or two but plan to use it Sat when I get back or Sunday AM.

Una I think you can rent kayaks at the campground but
you'll have to call to confirm ahead of time.

We can either shuttle ourselves down to the river or
paddle right from SK's.

Can't wait!!!!!! Let the party begin!!!!!

una_dogger said:
MJ and I plan to tag Elephant ... Any Logistical info on rentals, put ins, and shuttles ...

logistical info on Elephant ... enter the woods from the west side, walking up a pleasant logging road, loving life ... then battle your way through thick spruce while climbing steep ledgy forest until you reach the top ... walk down the east side, wondering why you followed someone's advice on the internet about hiking Elephant ...

or just go up the east side, if you're not feeling adventurous ...

Elephant

Lol! Arm, you crack me up!
So, sounds like there's the easy way and the marchowes way! Think we will be taking the extremely adventurous route!

And thanks for the kayak info, ma!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

I'm thinking of hiking Old Speck on Saturday.

Neil said:
I'm thinking of hiking Old Speck on Saturday.
Cool, if you are looking for some company, I'd like to hike that peak.

I was thinking of Speck or Tumbledown for Saturday....I'm kind of leaning more towards Speck....

-MEB

leaf said:
Cool, if you are looking for some company, I'd like to hike that peak.
Sounds like a plan....:)

MEB said:
I was thinking of Speck or Tumbledown for Saturday....I'm kind of leaning more towards Speck....

-MEB
Lean a little harder. :)

ok...Speck it is!! :)

Giggy, just think, if you do Speck with us you'll be starting another "list"...Ha!

-MEB

giggy said:
palying it all by ear. will decide friday night. old speck sounds good as I have never hiked that.

Palying it by ear sounds good but I have to do Old Speck on July 26th on my 770 x 365 list so I'm up for that ;)

Mats Roing said:
Palying it by ear sounds good but I have to do Old Speck on July 26th on my 770 x 365 list so I'm up for that ;)
I need it for my Maine July keg list, so you know what that means....

ok all - speck it is - nope MEB don't see any lists in my future, but I never say never. :p :p

More excited to hike with some fun people - wherever we go. :cool: :)

Old Speck is an off-list hike for me. I have a growing list of quite a few of those now and so far they're all in the Whites.

Yeah, I've got our route to Elephant all set, and it looks to even be only a little over an hour's drive, too. I don't think we'll have time to grab Boundary on this trip, though. Grr... :(

Paddling Sunday is definitely on our list! I'd love to stash a car down by the dam, put in at Sherpa's, then paddle around both ponds and out the outlet, down the river to the takeout. Much depends on where we can rent 'yaks and how to transport them.