Ben Nevis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sleeping Giant

I'm looking for guidance from anyone who may have climbed Ben Nevis in Scotland. I'm planning to be there next March. What I've found so far would suggest that a solo is very feasible, given proper equipment (crampons, ice axe, etc.). Has anyone done a non-summer climb there?

i may have climbed Ben Nevis ... at the very least, i posted a trip report
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5933

i carried snowshoes, ice axe and crampons but didn't use them ... there was snow on the summit, but the ridge walk was mostly bare (late march 2005)

the Tourist Track is the most popular route, but it's a boring switchback of flat stones up to the summit

there's a much more interesting loop over Carn Mor Dearg, if you don't mind leaving the trail, 'whacking up the steep rocky scree slope to Carn Dearg Meadhonach, then following the knife edge ridge around to Ben Nevis' summit, down the Tourist Track

i hiked solo, and reached the knife edge ridge just as fog rolled in ... very spooky, like a scene out of Lord of the Rings ... following the knife edge solo, wondering if i'd be able to find my way over the summit without falling off steep cliffs in thick fog, made this one of the most mentally challenging hikes i've ever done ... probably the only time i've ever felt challenged more mentally than physically

Collins Ramblers Guide to Ben Nevis & Glen Coe is a good source for hiking in this area

Ben Nevis is popular among rock and ice climbers, who ascend the steep icy cliffs up from Charles Inglis Clark Hut ... the loop i checked out was considered "hillwalking" (hiking)

Last edited:
arm said:
Collins Ramblers Guide to Ben Nevis & Glen Coe is a good source for hiking in this area

Arm,

Thanks for the tip about the Ramblers Guide - I just ordered it as I am heading to Fort William in 2 weeks. I am planning on hiking the Ring of Steall and some stuff around Glen Coe.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Dalraida, why would you not do winter solos in Scotland if you feel comfortable doing them in the Whites? I read the article you linked to and it appeared to me the risks are similar.

My Two Cents

I'll let Dalraida answer for himself but having hiked in Scotland (but not Ben Nevis) and the Lake District, I'll happily give my advice FWIW... Winter climbing in Scotland has the disadvantage of a lack of shelter in an emergency. Pretty well all the climbing is "above-treeline" due to the absence of trees in the mountains thus leaving you with few escape routes if a storm moves in. It also means that white-out conditions are common with few visible landmarks to guide you. In other words, a very good knowledge of map-reading/your GPS is a must. Also, though temps aren't usually as severe as the Whites (especially in March), there are more cloudy/freezing rainy days making hyperthermia an ever-present danger. BUT, on the good side, Scotland is a gorgeous place with very friendly people and some lovely ale. The whisky isn't bad, either.

And a few more bits

As to answer the question why I winter solo in NH but won't in Scotland: I find the winter weather in the whites pretty reliable compared to Scotland. Scotland being right in the North Atlantic has winter gales that can and do blow up in a moments notice. White outs there, or even low winter light is a problem since "cairning" or the building of cairns is frowned upon by the "purists". This complete lack of landmark features is very disorienting. Additionally, many of the mountain slopes in Scotland tend to curve very gently down until you reach a point where you cannot go back up and when you find cliffs below you, you are screwed. SMC and MCOfS hold numerous winter mountaineering courses every year. They are well attended. There are mountain rescue huts scattered throughout the Highlands and remember, Scotland is not very big. A typical winter exit of the Ben would be e.g. Starting at the old ruined weather observatory. Set a compass direction, walk 240 paces. Set another azimuth, walk 98 paces. Yet another azimuth, more measured paces and so on and on. This being in a white out. Under these conditions you will likely send a partner out on a leash with a wand which will be placed on the azimuth and then the party will follow up until the next leg. Wanna do it alone...not me :eek: I remember navigating in the Whites this past winter when you could only see to the next cairn, but was not unduly concerned. Try it without cairns.

Last edited: