Best Ax/Hachet for backpacking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Any suggestions for the best backpacking ax? I could have really used one of these at @ Black Mountain Cabin a few weekends ago to chop up some wood we brought up for the wood stove.

By best, I'm assuming that would mean an ultimate mix of being lightweight, strong, and long-lasting. I'm liking the gerber:

I originally misread your post and thought that you were looking for something to carry with you while backpacking to use at primitive campsites and shelters. In that case, I'd say that no axe is necessary- it's quite possible to have warm and bright fires using wood that is no bigger than your wrist and easy to break up on your own. Also decreases your impact on the campsite, not to mention it is illegal to cut standing trees, alive or dead, in the Adirondacks (not sure about the Whites).

But to split wood you brought in yourself is another matter. I really like my Snow and Nealley Axe. I have the 3.5 pound head with the 30" handle, and I've carried it with me in the backcountry for trail work. They make smaller camp axes as well, along the lines of what you're looking for. I've been very satisfied with their products, and I know others who have been as well.

Last edited:
Snow and Nealley hatchet

The Gerber weighs just under 3 lbs, supposedly, according to Amazon. The S+N has a 1.25 lb head, and I doubt the wood handle adds more than the weight of the head, so you're not losing much if anything in weight. And it looks better too (and is made out of recognizable materials that could, in theory, biodegrade someday).

Of course, more power to you for taking an axe backpacking. I'd take a saw or a white gas stove, myself. But I love using a good axe.

Here's the Amazon link.

I always carry an axe. Spring through fall I usually opt for the Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay Axe. In the winter I strap a Snow & Nealley 2.25 lb single bit on my sled. But if you want to scare the crap out of people or make room at a crowded campground nothing beats a Gransfors Bruks double bit.

If you want to go all out, check out www.garrettwade.com

If I didn't already own a Snow & Nealy, I would have a reason to spend $ on one of these beauties.

Trail maintainers may want to check out the ratcheting loppers with telescoping handles, a nice fit for your pack.

I like S & N too, very much so, I usually buy them through Labonville. However, as much as I love the head, I've had many problems with the handle in recent years. As a trailworker I've been sold on the forestry axe by these guys:

http://www.samstagsales.com/ox-head.htm

Both the OX 10 or 15 are great. They are an investment but worth it. Surprisingly light with a lot of power, I carry it with me even on none work hikes in case there's a blowdown.

Sorry...

I prefer this...

gimli.jpg

KDT

My 1-3/4 lb, wood handled Hudson Bay pattern axe from LL Bean has seen 40 years of service, and should see that many more, or more. It is an excellent lightweight camp axe with head heavy enough and handle long enough to tackle serious work, including firewood splitting. It is kept keen with file and stone, the handle receives an occasional dressing of boiled Linseed oil, and the working edge (and whoever carries the axe) is protected by a stout leather sheath.

Buy the best quality axe you can find and afford, take good care of it, and it will serve you well.

G.

Never carried or needed an axe. If you must cut wood, a good folding saw is much lighter and more compact, making it a better choice for packing into a site. I have a folding Gerber saw that I haven't used yet.

I have the Gerber hatchet mentioned above.

Keep in mind; use local firewood purchsed near your site. don't bring your own from home especialy if you live in southern New England.

Also you might consider goggles while splitting wood. Last week camping in Acadia I was spliting kindling. The wood was so wet I got squirted in the eye like a grapefruit. It has been a wet summer.

Some states have laws that limit the distance fire wood can travel. This is to stop or slow down the spread of invasive insects. I believe NY is one of these states.

For ultralight purposes I prefer the lightweight and classic look of the hatchet carried by this man:

patriot-the-dvd-poster.jpg

We were in a campground near Mt. Hood last week and someone before us at our site had used what must have been a dull axe to chop a piece off of a downed tree. What a mess was made -- chips all over the place, and the log that was in the firepit never really burned, even with us and our dry wood added to it. 'Course the smoke helped keep the 'squittos away.

For those still confusing splitting with chopping, I recommend this already-a-classic article.

An even better article from about 10 years ago (I think also in Northern Woodlands) told the story of a man and his faithful axe that he had had for decades. It had had its handle replaced four times and its head only twice in 40 years ;)

I have several axes but my favorite do-it-all tool is a 3.5# S & N that I bought just up the river a few miles, whence they come. Though I've rehung quite a few axes with raw wood handles, I appreciate the finely finished and lacquered handle on my S & N. It just feels better...