Best boots for steep slides?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
The steepest ADK slide that I have hiked so far is the 1992 slide on Colden. I wore boots designed for scrambling and rock climbing (3/4 shank, above the ankles) and made out just fine. For steeper slides like the ones on Giant and the trap dike slide would some other type of boot be better? Low tops? Rock shoes?

boots

for slides i like a lower boot that allows me to have good movement in my ankle but yet has a good sole one that can handle the roughness on most slides. i have a pr of Lowa Triolites that work well: here's the description on them.
"These Lowa technical, ankle-high approach shoes-girded on the heel and toe with tough rubber rands-are suitable for easy rock climbs, mountain approaches, and big wall climbing. Uppers are suede and Cordura® nylon. Thermal-regulating Outlast® Temperature Regulation liner. Sticky Vibram® sole (with smooth strike zone at the toe) is reinforced with high performance polyurethane midsole. "
they don't have them left anymore in women's anyway but here's the link if you want to see what they look like: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.asp?base_no=60937

what's nice is you can wear them for the entire hike vs bringing something to change into on the slide. oh and jason you'll like this: i got them at........yes, sierra trading for $40 (reg $170)

Rock shoes

I bring rock shoes when I do the Eagle and highly recommend them for steep slides. It makes me feel way more secure. While others are traversing or picking there way up in hiking boots, I can go straight up. It doesn't add much weight to your pack.

Lately I have been hiking in approach shoes (i.e low cut hiking boots). They have stickier soles and I might forego the rock shoes next time. They made getting up the cliffs on Saddleback a snap a couple of weeks ago and were comfortable enough to use all day on a Presidential Traverse this past weekend.

Same song different verse.....

I'm happy with my Vasques - sort of a trail runner on steroids - but what I really like about them is the STEALTH RUBBER soles. I've used them both on slides (Tripyramid, Dix) and even for roped climbing, the sticky soles are great. I've also hiked / backpacked long days in them, they provide enough support for my light loads.

I agree, fit is critical - w/o a tight grab in the heel, sliding and black toenails are inevitable.

Margaret

Last edited:
Whatever you get, fit is critical so that your feet aren't cramped but don't slide forward and jam your toes. I lost a few toenails after coming down the Percy Peaks (aka Capitol Dome) a few years ago. The boots did not lace snugly enough around the arch/ankle area to prevent "creep" in the boots. I think some of the low-cut boots may be better in this regard.

The LaSportiva Exum Ridge shoes have a super-sticky sole, basically climbing shoe rubber. Grips like velcro even after the nubs wear off and the sole is flat. I've used them for easy bouldering as well as scrambles all over the Dacks. They're very lightweight and extremely breathable, and by inference, totally NOT waterproof.

I have an 6-year-old pair of Salomons with Contagrip soles, and I find them nice and sticky. I try to wear them if I know I'm going to be doing steep ledge: Huntington, North Slide, etc. I recently bought another pair of Salomons (waterproof and a little larger) also with Contagrip soles but somehow they don't feel as sticky.

I also have the La sportiva exum ridge shoes. Very grippy on rock. I was going to use them this past sunday on the bennies brook slide, but it looked like rain and I left them in the car.

Just about anyone's trail runners or other low cut "sneaker" type shoes now have "sticky rubber." Some are stickier than others. But the combination of sticky rubber and a soft shoe that lets you feel the surface is the trick.

Rock shoes certainly make slides really easy, considering they are designed for much steeper rock. But most of my rock shoes are fairly uncomfortable, and my trail runners feel like bedroom slippers.

salomon aqua tech

The aqua tech also has contragrip soles, and they stick great. Going down steep slopes I curl my toes so they don't get demolished ( keeping the nails clipped helps ).

grog

If you want to get something, look at 'approach shoes' Kind of a cross between rock climbinb shoes and boots. That way, you don't have to carry a second pair with you.

On the steeper slides (Eg Eagle) I prefer rock climbing shoes.

Thanks everybody. I picked up a pair of Vasque Pingoras at MEC today and will break them in on the Nippletop slide in 2 weeks from now.

I realize that you already baught your boots but I always liked the vibrant sole boot for slide climbing. They really grip the rock.

Skyclimber2971w said:
I realize that you already baught your boots but I always liked the vibrant sole boot for slide climbing. They really grip the rock.

That's what I thought when I traded in my old Merrills for Vibram-soled Vasques, but they didn't seem any stickier at all. When I finally bought the Salomons, the difference was dramatic.

The Solomon XA Pro got me up many slabs with confidence, I find they are very good for descending.

I got the Nike ACG with the double to the toe lacing system and the All Trac sticky rubber soles (they are a bit ugly). By far the best cross breed climber/hiker around.