Best (mass produced)chocolate bar for hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best mass produced chocolate bar for hiking?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
original GORP

There was a time that my answer would be the ‘better than GORP’ bar - the original ‘Chunky’ bar. :D
Of your choices I have been known to bring Peanut M&M’s, and would still on occasion now. Another treat I’ve liked is Tootsie Rolls (the fit in your mouth size, as trying to bite into a frozen, large one is near impossible). But these days if I have chocolate it is dark chocolate so would carry either Lindt balls (special dark in the black wrapper) or Dove dark chocolate squares and let them melt in the mouth. And rather than raisins (the other half of GORP) I bring the non-dried version – grapes.

Snickers Marathon

is pretty good for an energy bar type (non-normal) candy bar. Doesn't taste as good as some of the "real" candy, but is pretty good and definitely stores better...

Other - Ritter Bars now found in the International Section of Stop & Shop & other places. Personal Preference, Milk Chocoloate, Rum & Raisins. (Think Gourmet Chunky with a rum flavor :D )

last hike took two Special Darks & a Cadbury Dark Chocolate. I've gotten a bit tired of Cliff & Power Bars. With winter coming will get back to Cliff Bars which are good to go in temps near zero.

sapblatt said:
Oh man - those are the best...even better stirred into peanut butter...I am hungry...
You're able to take chips stirred into peanut butter hiking? That's different.

big fan of the unsweetened or low sugar stuff, I want the cacao not the sugar. 87% or higher cacao, Lindt makes one and some other companies as well, overall the darker and bitterer (is that a word?) the better. That Ritter name is cool though :D

Cadbury Fruit & Nut is the bar chosen to be part of my emergency food supply. It us hard some hikes not to declare an emergency just to get at that bar.

2 or 3 snack size Snickers bars work great on the average hike, including cold weather. When I want to treat myself, I bring a couple of ounces from a Hershey's Special Dark chocolate bar.

Certainly, there are gourmet bars that are better from a chocolate/palette point of view. But, I'd rather savor them at home, not when I'm hot, sweaty and carb-depleted on a hike. On a hike I want something that's tasty, goes down easily, and won't damage the bridgework if it's cold weather.

Other. Take Five bars. Not as dense as snickers, (which really do satisfy) but you get the combination of chocolate, pretzel, caramel and a little peanut butter. Salty, sweet, crunchy, chocolatey. I have met doubters as to this bar's goodness and once they tried it... converts.

I voted "other"-
Tolberone- My dad got me hooked on this he would give it to us every Christmas.
Besides it comes notched so you can pace yourself.

www.toblerone.com

WSC

My wife will be thrilled that someone else takes Chunky bars, she thought maybe she was alone. Those Take Five's are not a bad idea either. I asked my dad tonight what they brought me when I was little and he said I liked Marathon bars, they tried it once and the caramel oozed everywhere. After that it was Snickers all the way.

Toe Cozy said:
Other. Take Five bars. Not as dense as snickers, (which really do satisfy) but you get the combination of chocolate, pretzel, caramel and a little peanut butter. Salty, sweet, crunchy, chocolatey. I have met doubters as to this bar's goodness and once they tried it... converts.

Mmmmm this isn't a good thread to be reading at 1:20am.....

if its chocolate, I'll eat it. But if there is a choice, I'll go with Take Five bars, or Nutrageous. Simply amazing.... :p

grouseking

giggy said:
I know that Guinness brews Bud in ireland and that tastes different as well. It also has more alcohol in it.

I heard that bud brews guinness here, which would explain why that tastes so much better in Ireland.

prolly makes more business sense to do that - rather than ship the finished product.
We were told by the locals that American Guinness is "Extra" stout because they add alcohol to it, that the local stuff is the "light" version and the export is the harder. It sure tastes better local, don't it?

And I can't believe it took 33 posts for the word "Toblerone" to show up. It was there with BMWs (remember the 2002?) and Motobecane's before yuppies and the eighties came along. A little expensive, but it was the classic taste of North Conway out of Dad's hand.

But it's Snickers for hiking.

Other -

Ritter Sport Marzipan -- the sell the 100g blocks at Hannafords. I got addicted to Ritter sport in Germany and bring it with me fairly frequently on hikes. Good stuff - Dark Chocolate and marzipan mmmmm.

Of the options given, I went with Snickers. FEAST!!!!!!!!!!

However, I rarely take a candy bar on the trail. Instead, on the trail in winter, you can find me popping dark chocolate covered espresso beans... and getting silly, faster, and louder with each step! :eek: :D

Double Bow said:
Of the options given, I went with Snickers. FEAST!!!!!!!!!!

However, I rarely take a candy bar on the trail. Instead, on the trail in winter, you can find me popping dark chocolate covered espresso beans... and getting silly, faster, and louder with each step! :eek: :D

Now that's a good one. I've had that before but since I don't drink coffee or soda, I found it went right thru me.