Best Whole State New Hampshire Atlas?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
driving around looking for guinea pigs

I believe in another thread someone hinted that there was a hamster hidden in the New Hampshire atlas -- I haven't located that one either. .....
So can anyone give me a hint as to where that pesky Hampshire hamster is located?

Was driving around in NH yesterday and saw the guinea pig (it looks a tad more like a guinea pig than a hampster I think) on the map. Drove all the roads immediately adjacent to the spot on the map where the pig was but couldn't find anything smacking of guinea pigs. Sigh.

The Delorme Atlas is indeed a good place to start. In my 14th edition of the NH Atlas (2002) I found that in the Ossipee Mountains they show roads that have long since disappeared, and show some skidder roads as paved roads. They also have interchanged the names for Mt. Roberts, and Mt. Faraway. I came across a SUV stuck in a swamp once. There was a Delorme Atlas on the seat. My edition shows that track as a paved road when in reality it is a disused skidder road. You would have thought the driver would have noticed the road conditions.

This is true in the north country too. Delorme's map of Pittsburg is woefully out of date. Roads are misnamed, misrouted, etc. The NH map hasn't been updated in awhile (and there are no near-term plans to update it, either). The Maine map is excellent however, having been updated last year.

You might want to check in with the Cohos people too, as many new hiking trails have been added north of Rt 26. They're very well blazed and signed. These trails should make your trip more enjoyable as anything beats hiking along Rt 3.

bob

The Delorme Atlas is indeed a good place to start. In my 14th edition of the NH Atlas (2002) I found that in the Ossipee Mountains they show roads that have long since disappeared, and show some skidder roads as paved roads. They also have interchanged the names for Mt. Roberts, and Mt. Faraway. I came across a SUV stuck in a swamp once. There was a Delorme Atlas on the seat. My edition shows that track as a paved road when in reality it is a disused skidder road. You would have thought the driver would have noticed the road conditions.

I agree about mistakes in the 14th edition of the NH Delorme Atlas. A friend with snowmobile trails through his land used to get pretty fed up with hauling stuck SUVs off his property in the summer time. He prevailed upon Delorme to fix the map in its latest version. Also I've gotten mis-led when both the Delorme map was wrong and the AMC guidebook gave misleading directions to a trailhead (both now corrected in the latest versions.) All of this is to say that it helps to have more than one map and to cross-check (as well as using good old common sense).

Last edited:
As far as woefully out-of-date maps go, the TOPO programs that I have often show trails and roads long since abandoned and do not show any recent
changes. However, I use them as a locating base map for my GPS, so they work fine to keep me from big trouble.