Bibs versus Pants w/ Suspenders

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
Does anyone have extensive experience with bibs above treeline? and in tecnical alpine climbing scenarios (NE 2-3+). I am looking to upgrade my heavy alpine pants and am torn between a pair of pants with suspenders or a particular bib.

My impression is that a bib is the way to go ... ie. better coverage. I cant really imagine a downside other than excessive warmth, weight, and another layer to constrain movement. The pants might offer more versatility for those warmer weather alpine climbs.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

~J

I prefer Bibs for technical climbing.

Warmer, less clutter around the waist, fit well with a harness, and allow for long reaches (with tools) without shirt, etc. pulling out of pants.

cb

For technical climbing I would agree, although...

For technical climbing I would agree, although for normal hiking above tree line I personally would sweat my butt off in bibs. In tech climbing your normally not moving as fast as normal backpacking. While backpacking you create a ton of body heat. Bibs would make me far too hot. I have to admit that I am a very very warm person in most conditions and sweat while hiking no matter how cold it is/I am.

Both would accomplish their goals very well though (holding your pants up).

i've always worn bibs for technical climbing, mountaineering, and winter backpacking and can't find a reason to switch to pants. in any instance when i've been "to warm" while wearing them all i do is unzip the torso or legs to let out the heat. when i cool down i zip back up.

a few things to consider before you purshase would be:

how easy are they to get into when you're all gear'd up?

will they function when you harness is underneath them? i.e belay device hanging out, tied into a rope team, etc.

how easy is it to go to the bathroom? if you have to come fully out of your harness you don't want them. most usually have the half-moon butt or a zip-thru crotch. mine have the moon butt which i find hard to zip up but works ok with my harness on. i'd get the zip thru is possible.

where are the suspender attach points, on your shoulders, on your chest? you don't want the shoulder straps from your pack rubbing on these, after many hours of movement it really suck. i know from expereience.

deadpoint said:
a few things to consider before you purshase would be:

will they function when you harness is underneath them? i.e belay device hanging out, tied into a rope team, etc.

Intersting. I have never tried to wear a harness under bibs. Probably cause I put them on in the morning and wear them all day.

I suppose for some approaches you might not want to wear them, but when would you have a harness on and then put bibs on later?

Just curious...

cb

i've had and seen this happen in situations where you can't or where it would be unsafe to get out of your harness while in route. this can be any mountaineering or alpine climbing route.

i usually don't wear my hard shell top and bottoms unless i know the weathers coming in or it's really cold and i need the layers. i always start off wearing my action layer, i.e. soft shell top/bottoms and go from there. my bibs are usually the last thing i put on, if i even do.

this past may when i was on denali i had to do this. it was summit day and the weather was ok when we left high camp at 17000, camp was in the sun when we started so it was kind of warm, only around -5 or -10. during the climbing from camp to denali pass at 19000" and the temp dropped and the winds kicked up. when we reached the pass my legs where cold so i put on my bibs while roped up. it would have been really unsafe to take off my harness and unrope at denali pass, it's a freaking mine field of cravasses not to mention the 2000" drop to high camp. 3 hours later i needed to take off the bibs because my legs where to warm. no worries about coming out of the rope team, just a few quick unzips and i was all set.