Big Agnes Sleeping Pads

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegematic

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with them? I am looking for a new summer sleeping pad to replace an old and too-heavy-for-its-cushiness thermarest self-inflating. I am looking at a Big Agnes ClearView Air Pad and the Big Agnes Air Core .

I have the stats on them from the website: weight, size, rolled size, price. I'd like to hear about comfort, durability, how difficult to inflate, anything else?

-vegematic

You can find previous discussions with a search; there's good stuff out there.

I've had one (air core) for several years and have always liked it. It's nfg for serious cold weather, but deals well with my bony hips & tail. Has never popped; still inflates fine (18 full breaths gets it done); has never been an undue burden after a day-long hike. Weighs just over a pound, iirc.

Others don't like 'em so much; opinions vary.

vegematic said:
Does anyone have any experience with them? I am looking for a new summer sleeping pad to replace an old and too-heavy-for-its-cushiness thermarest self-inflating. I am looking at a Big Agnes ClearView Air Pad and the Big Agnes Air Core .
I generally like Big Agnes products - I have two of their sleeping bags. I needed a tapered pad to fit the sleeping bag sleeve as my rectangular Thermarest wouldn't fit the new bag. It was for hammock sleeping, so I thought the tapered insulated Air Core pad should work well. Well, I absolutely hated it. I froze in cool, not cold temperatures. I hardly ever send a product back, but back it went. I bought a lightweight tapered REI Thermarest style pad instead and stayed warm and happy in my hammock in even colder temperatures.

Well...

I bought an air core shortie a few years ago. The pros are pack size (the best), light weight and ability to use it as a water float. I've never had a problem with it and it only takes about 20-22 breaths to blow up. But ... for some strange reason, I don't find pure air mattresses nearly as comfortable as foam or the traditional Thermarest blend. There's something about the shifting air that 's just not quite right. FWIW, my fave pads are the el cheapo thin light blue foam ones or the cheap T-rest grey foam ones - YMMV.

I have a Big Agnes self inflating pad that I carried once. During the trip I fell on my a$$ coming down from N. Carter which put a hole in it before I got my first chance to sleep on it.

Just now I weighed my old Z-LITE THERMAREST and it weighed in at 15.4 oz and the Big Agnes self inflating mummy pad at 2 lbs 1.5 oz. The "Z-Rest" cannot be punctured, is about 25% larger, but less than half the weight, and if the need arises I can cut it apart to splint and insulate my shattered tibia.

Thank you for making this crystal clear to me.

I've had two and they both leaked after a few outings. I'm sending it back for credit on another purchase or the kids can play on it in the pool. I don't feel they have been reliable.

Nice people answer the phone and they have been good to deal with.