Big Breakfast or not?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always have at least a light breakfast the morning of a hike - some of you might think it's gross, but I'll have yogurt and/or fruit at home and a sandwich with whole wheat bread or something like that along the way - but that's mainly because of time constraints. If I had the time, I'd probably try for a more traditional breakfast like scrambled eggs and toast or something. Either way, I also usually drink about a pint of water during my drive there.

I find the more important thing to focus on is the day or two before. I usually drink no alcohol the few days before a big hike and the night before, if I get around to it, a good pasta meal like Chicken Parmigiana is good. I try to drink eight glasses of water a day and the day before a hike, I usually drink a little more than that. I find I rarely feel thirsty, let alone, dehydrated on a hike if I'm fully hydrated from the day before. It's just what works for me.

When camping, it's usually one of these: 1 Ramen, 2 instant oatmeals, 1 cup granola with dry milk, or a bagel toasted in a pan with PB & J.

When driving to the trail head, it's usually something I can eat while driving, like an egg sandwich from one of the burger places.

Like others, I tend to eat all through the day and find that eating too much at breakfast slows me down. The exception is when I am downhill skiing. I usually skip lunch (the best time to ski on the weekends is between 11 and 1)and quit early instead when trails start getting really skied off, around 3. I eat a big breakfeast instead and just munch on a power bar or apple at some point in the afternoon while on the chair.

I eat about the same amount for breakfast every day. If I happen to be hiking that day, I'll bring along food that's easy to digest. I'll generally stop about every hour, take off my pack and do some stretching while eating a bit and drinking about a cup of water.

I'm an oatmeal for breakfast 6 out of 7 days a week eater, not being overly stuffed when leaving the trailhead. Sometimes I cheat and have a egg w/canadian bacon (in a sandwich), in a meal w/toast & hashbrown's, or blueberry pancakes w/maple syrup. I find when I over eat it definitely does slow me down. I'd rather have a little food before a hike than too much. And I have gorp, sometimes a bar to keep up my energy until the stop for lunch.

I try to start hiking days with a big greasy breakfast if I can. I love the buffets at Pinkham or the Highland Center. Typically I'll have some scrambled eggs, a couple pieces of French Toast, bacon or sausage, coffee, milk, a bowl of granola, fruit and yogurt and finish it all with a muffin and some juice. I half hour later I'm on the trail and feelin' fine.

Since it takes longer to digest the grease, I like to get it in early so it will do me some good toward the end of the day. On the trail my diet is much more of the complex carb variety. What's the point of eating nuts at 2 in the afternoon if you'll be out of the woods before they can kick in?

Bob Kittredge said:
Typically I'll have some scrambled eggs, a couple pieces of French Toast, bacon or sausage, coffee, milk, a bowl of granola, fruit and yogurt and finish it all with a muffin and some juice.

Throw in a six pack of Harpoon and a bottle of good merlot you have my grocery shopping list for the whole week! :D

I always eat a big breakfast consisting of eggs, hash browns and toast. Eating a large breakfast alows me to go longer without food. There are many times I dont eat lunch. I just snach a little. If I did not eat that big breakfast I would feel low on energy and have to pack more food for later.

I've always tried to have a small breakfast to keep my stomach from being upset, as it can be when I wake up too early in the morning. A croissant-egg-and-cheese at DD's is my usual, since it has fats, carbs, and a touch of protein.

That said, going into Baxter the other week I started with three big pieces of French Toast at the AT Café and wow, did I have energy. I may be a convert to bigger breakfasts.

Of course, I didn't maintain it by eating properly along the way, but that's a separate issue. :)

For us the morning fuel stop before the trail is Cracker Barrel in Derry,or the Tilton Diner for the pig out breakfast buffet.
Breakfast on the trail is oatmeal,or rice pudding with brown sugar and raisins-makes a nice change. Add a breakfast bar,a couple of cups of decaf tea,and off we go!

I can't resist!
"Bernie is an advocate for the BIG BREAKFAST and very frequent snacks.
And....please don't try to take his dish away from him!
Watch your hiking boots!!!! :D :D :D

Jettison The Superfluous.

For me it's not so much what I get into my system as what I can get out. There's nothing like cinching up the waistbelt of a fully loaded pack before one's had a good grumpy.