"Biofreeze" topical pain reliever ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will still never believe that any topical cream actually gets into the blood stream to actually do anything physical to you. It makes your skin feel funny. If that is a distraction enough for you then that is good. I still think acute and chronic injuries should be treated not covered up. Ice, stretching, strengthening exercises will probably go a lot further than some stuff that makes your skin tingle.

cold streams and lakes are great for icing down sore ankles and knees and leg muscles. Therapeutic temp of a cold whirlpool is around 60F so that is pretty easy to find in the northeast much of the year.

This is true in the context that some painful body parts can heal. As I get older it's been my experience that not all pain can or ever will be completely cured. Being in chronic pain does get old, and sometimes anything that will give you temporary relief is a blessing.

I believe I mentioned that I woke up one day and realized I would never have another pain free day as long as I live. Now I try to moderate the degree of pain and do my best not to dwell on it. Anything I can get help with I do, but sadly the rest is here to stay. It does no good to obsess over it. You learn to live with it and press on.

I will still never believe that any topical cream actually gets into the blood stream to actually do anything physical to you.
The patch is one example of many in which transdermal drug delivery is, without question, efficacious and real. Many studies have tracked the concentration of various drugs in the blood over time (i.e. pharmacokinetics) following transdermal delivery.

2. Cryotherapy through Evaporation: Evaporation of alcohol and menthol reduce skin
temperature, which stimulates thermosensitive cold receptors in the skin known as
“TRP-M8” receptors. These specific receptors have been shown to play a role in pain
control through the body’s glutamate (Proudfoot et al. 2006) or opioid system
(Galaeotti et al. 2002). "

I'm an Athletic Supporter ;), so I'm just reporting my and another's (a very active Nurse Practitioner) experience with the product. Also the above quote would seem to indicate there's a more than skin deep affect. The product has helped me reduce substantially the use of Aleve and Advil when my foot or ankle pain is severe enough to keep me up at night. The affect lasts at least a couple hours.

EDIT:
JakeD said:
I still think acute and chronic injuries should be treated not covered up. Ice, stretching, strengthening exercises will probably go a lot further than some stuff that makes your skin tingle.

Definately agree with this. Acute and chronic injuries should be treated. I have used this as temporary relief to reduce Aleve and Advil use.

Last edited:
Biofreeze is not a drug. -athletic trainer

The active ingredient, menthol, is absolutely a drug, even though it is not regulated as such in the US due to the odd way in which the FDA distinguishes between drugs and "supplements." (Aconitine, for example, is considered a "supplement, while salicylic acid is considered a drug.)

Your first bullet supports this point (though the reference is dated), and your second bullet is inaccurate: menthol does not just cool the skin, it induces a cold sensation through activation of TRPM8 receptors. Your skin will feel cool to you even when the actual temperature of the skin is unchanged. This also supports the conclusion that Menthol is a drug. Here are some other points:
  • Menthol is a TRPM8 agonist, inducing cold sensation, countering some of the inflammatory response (J. Neuroscience, 2007, 13680).
  • Menthol blocks voltage-gated sodium channels, the ion channels expressed in neurons, partially responsible for pain signalling - same mechanism of action as Lidocaine, Novocain, etc. (Eur. J. Anaesthesthesiology., 2002, 571).
  • Menthol is skin permeable, and its permeability is influenced by the vehicle in which it is applied (Methods Find. Exp. Clin. Pharmacol., 2009, 237).

-Brian (Ph.D. Medicinal Chemistry...fwiw)

After reading this thread I bought a tube of Biofreeze along with a few packets from Amazon in July to help relieve elbow pain from a use injury in May which has been slow to heal. I didn't have any particular expectations of it but decided to give it a try.

After using it sporadically for a couple of months I must say I'm impressed with it - about 15 minutes from application, my elbow does feel better, and remains so for a few hours. As has been noted, it does go on a bit gloppy, so keep the limb relatively flat as you're spreading it around. It does not feel greasy, and in a few minutes seems to largely disappear. The menthol smell isn't too strong, and dissipates fairly rapidly.

Whether it helps/speeds healing I have no idea, but it does work for me in terms of temporary pain relief. I would recommend the stuff.

As for the little traveling packets - I put them in my pack's ditty bag and haven't used them. My sense is that they don't contain enough gel to do much good, but maybe if you used multiples there would be enough.

Your experience sounds like mine, which is good.

My sense is that they don't contain enough gel to do much good, but maybe if you used multiples there would be enough.

If they are the 5 gram packets, I think you'll be surprised; A couple of times I've used half the amount in one of those and the rest a day or 2 later.

...If they are the 5 gram packets, I think you'll be surprised; A couple of times I've used half the amount in one of those and the rest a day or 2 later.

Good to know- thanks.

I have used BioFreeze for a ease a torn rotator cup shoulder injury and it does seem to make me feel better for awhile. at least it eases the pain some.