Black Diamond crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
My sister is in the market for some crampons and EMS has a pair of Black Diamond’s on sale for $79.96. Does anyone own a pair? I have Grivels so I have not used Black Diamond before. Any thoughts?

Which model? Only ones I see on EMS's site are the Sabretooths and they are on sale for over $100.

Man, I wish they had the G12s with the New Classic bindings for that $111 price!

Hmmmm that is odd. They were there earlier. I guess they have sold out. Oh well, I guess my sister will have to look elsewhere.

I see them on the website...
Are they the Contact Strap crampons, which are at $79?

I have friends who have these crampons and like them and have had no problems on 50 degree snow and even some 70-80 degree ice.

edit:I doubt they are sold out. If you call any EMS store they can locate those crampons at any of their stores and ship them to your house. I know my local EMS has some.

Doug

I just bought a pair of these and used them for the first time on Madison. I thought they were great!! They were easy to put on and take off. I have plastic boots and they stayed on really well. Not sure how they'll hold up or function in the future, but my initial experience left me feeling very happy about my purchase :D

My sister informs me that she bought them yesterday. All is well with the world. She's coming up to NH this weekend and after skiing on Saturday I will take her up to the slabs on Welch/Dickey to test them out.

Thanks.

I have a pair of them too and like them. The strap isn't too difficult to negotiate and it holds well on my Sorels. The grip is fantastic.

ok, I see them on there now.

hey, I used to work at SEMS (Stamford EMS...as in the ambulance), there is an EMS in Stamford now? Where is it? High Ridge?

I bought a pair of the BD Contact strap-ons a couple of years ago and love 'em. Have used them in the adirondacks and the rockies and on two different pairs of boots. They're stable and quite capable on fairly high angle ice and snow.

Another happy customer chimeing in. I have 'em and love 'em! Easy to put on and take off, work great on both plastic and leather boots, easily adjustable, bite well, inexpensive...

What more could you ask for???

Well... maybe some winter weather or more days out on the trail but I doubt any other model offers these things! :D

Charly said:
hey, I used to work at SEMS (Stamford EMS...as in the ambulance), there is an EMS in Stamford now? Where is it? High Ridge?
From little ol' Stamford to Maine? Wow, nice move ;)
Yep, there certainly is an EMS here. Yep, on High Ridge, next to Mrs Greens :)

cbcbd said:
From little ol' Stamford to Maine? Wow, nice move ;)
Yep, there certainly is an EMS here. Yep, on High Ridge, next to Mrs Greens :)

Grab something before hitting the Merit (and getting the hell out of southern CT!!!). But yeah, it is great to have one in Stamford! :D

Are these comparable to G10s then? Bindings durable?

yes, Stamford, (lived al over SW CT actually) used to live above Murphy's on Franklin Street

Charly said:
Are these comparable to G10s then? Bindings durable?

yes, Stamford, (lived al over SW CT actually) used to live above Murphy's on Franklin Street
I can't speak for the durability, but they are pretty similar to the G10s in design. The G10s come with antiballing.

I work right across from Murphy's in the building on Washington and North. We go to Murphy's after work often. Awesome :D

i own the contacts and also a pair of grivel g 12's. i've found the grivels tend to wear down and need to be sharpened more than the black diamonds. that said i do love the grivels. the flexibility of the black diamonds with regards to the many different types of boots they can be worn on is a plus.

bryan

see, I just went back to EMS's site and they are not there again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was about to order a pair. son of a gun.

EDIT: Found this on a google search
http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_...4442586331&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302858869

says they are out of stock. I had just already called my local EMS store (Augusta) and they said they were having trouble finding a pair, so i guess they are gone.... dang.

Last edited:
Impossible that they are gone from all the stores.
I just went to your link and checked availability and it's showing that the Stamford store has them.
I guess whoever you talked to probably just checked their own store inventory.

You can call any store that has them and have them ship the item to you (probably $5.50 for shipping). The Stamford store has a couple (just called):

Last edited:
thanks, yeah I called again earlier and talked to them and they finally said they did have them in other stores, for example Nashua and Concord.

I called Nashua and have a pair being shipped....I also have to pay Maine tax on them in addition to the shipping.

Nashua (still has at least one other pair) 603-891-1180

Last edited:
Double Bow said:
If I recall correctly, you can order stuff from EMS's website and have things shipped to a store near you for free...
True, but EMS doesn't do store-to-store shipping. You have to mail-order it from the store that has it.

Doug