Blackberry Apps for the outdoors

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not much of a technology person when it comes to the outdoors. I carry my Blackberry Storm because it has a camera, and I'm addicted to email.

That being said, I just came across a short article on applications for Blackberrys in the outdoors, including a neat (and free!) one called GPSLogger. Folks might find it of interest. In the comments, one person said s/he hiked the AT with this app and their family could follow their progress.

It's under the "First star to the right, and straight on 'til morning" header.

Brian

I don't know much about the Blackberry but there are a lot of things like this for the iPhone. They work great but eat up a lot of power so I find battery life is a real issue. If you're going to be out for more than a couple hours, a real GPS is probably still the way to go. Also, I suspect the GPS on these phones are not nearly as sensitive as the real thing under heavy tree coverage.

I still do use the app I have for my iPhone for little local walks and it's fun to play with.

i've heard of an application for all cell phones that is pretty useful in the outdoors..

it engages a magnetic field that's attracts it to the north pole, thereby hurling itself off the nearest cliff.

;)

That's pretty neat.

Now prepare for an onslaught of people insulting you because you dare to use technology while hiking.

Oh wait, leaf already started the ball rolling. :D

ha! no insult intended. honestly, i don't care what people do in the outdoors. use a cell phone. crap directly on the trail. drive a snowmobile to the summit. makes no difference to me.

i just think i'm the funniest person i know. :p

crap directly on the trail. makes no difference to me.

i just think i'm the funniest person i know. :p

What if you were sitting right there on the trail eating a blackberry jam sandwhich? (You're the 2nd funniest person I just think I know.)

I think technology on the trail totally ruins the wilderness experience but makes it all much safer. I guess if it's a trail it's not real wildrness anyway so I retract that statement. The new generation of SPOTs allow for outgoing text messaging. Same idea I guess.

Cool link.

I personally would love a device that would allow me to reliably send a text message. My biggest fear is getting stuck out safely overnight and having a search party sent because I didn't return when expected.

This almost happened to me last year when I camped out overnight near Mt. Isolation and was expected to return the next day. It poured overnight and the crossings on the Rocky Branch were barely passable. Another foot of water would have made the crossings a bit too dicey for Sheep and I. It would have been no problem to camp out another night and head out once the streams had gone down but I'm sure an unnecessary search would have been initiated.

I do own a GPS and thought I would use it a lot more but generally it stays in the bottom of my pack for the duration. I have used it a couple of times when I lost the trail in badly marked Wilderness areas so I'm glad I have it. I don't find it detracts from the wilderness experience at all but makes me feel a little more secure on solo hikes.

Forgot your Bear Spray? – there’s an app for that

The “Scare Bear Trail Companion” application costs 99 cents to download and provides digital sounds meant to frighten away bears on hiking trails. It gives users the option between the sound of an airhorn, bear bells, hands clapping or rocks shaking in a tin can, each activated by shaking the phone.
This is very good, catchy name too. But, they forgot to include Britney Spears singing. You wouldn't want to accidentally set that thing off at the theatre or in church.

Forgot your Bear Spray? – there’s an app for that
"The “Scare Bear Trail Companion” application costs 99 cents to download and provides digital sounds meant to frighten away bears on hiking trails. It gives users the option between the sound of an airhorn, bear bells, hands clapping or rocks shaking in a tin can, each activated by shaking the phone."

Well, thank god for that!! I mean I definitely can't clap my hands.. but shaking a phone? totally doable. whew!

Neil - if i was doing that? lucky me! condiments. ;)

"The “Scare Bear Trail Companion” application costs 99 cents to download and provides digital sounds meant to frighten away bears on hiking trails. It gives users the option between the sound of an airhorn, bear bells, hands clapping or rocks shaking in a tin can, each activated by shaking the phone."

Well, thank god for that!! I mean I definitely can't clap my hands.. but shaking a phone? totally doable. whew!

Neil - if i was doing that? lucky me! condiments. ;)
You have 2 hands right now, but what if the bear bites one off? :eek:

:D

Also, I loved the link to the woman who threw her iphone at a bear! :p

You have 2 hands right now, but what if the bear bites one off? :eek:

:D
tom, very good thoughtful question..

yes, with that one hand, i will go into my backpack, or pocket. turn on the power button on my iphone. wait for it start. scroll through the menu. find the app. start the app. wait for it to load. pick the sound i want. tap on that. and then shake. with a bear on top of me.

:rolleyes: :D

Hi all,

I'm not much of a technology person when it comes to the outdoors. I carry my Blackberry Storm because it has a camera, and I'm addicted to email.

That being said, I just came across a short article on applications for Blackberrys in the outdoors, including a neat (and free!) one called GPSLogger. Folks might find it of interest. In the comments, one person said s/he hiked the AT with this app and their family could follow their progress.

It's under the "First star to the right, and straight on 'til morning" header.

Brian

This lasted only two posts. :rolleyes:

Is there an app for this?
PhillipsBlkbryBrandyLabel.jpg

tom, very good thoughtful question..

yes, with that one hand, i will go into my backpack, or pocket. turn on the power button on my iphone. wait for it start. scroll through the menu. find the app. start the app. wait for it to load. pick the sound i want. tap on that. and then shake. with a bear on top of me.

:rolleyes: :D
What you don't carry it in your hand at all times? :eek:

I personally would love a device that would allow me to reliably send a text message. My biggest fear is getting stuck out safely overnight and having a search party sent because I didn't return when expected.

This almost happened to me last year when I camped out overnight near Mt. Isolation and was expected to return the next day. It poured overnight and the crossings on the Rocky Branch were barely passable. Another foot of water would have made the crossings a bit too dicey for Sheep and I. It would have been no problem to camp out another night and head out once the streams had gone down but I'm sure an unnecessary search would have been initiated.

I do own a GPS and thought I would use it a lot more but generally it stays in the bottom of my pack for the duration. I have used it a couple of times when I lost the trail in badly marked Wilderness areas so I'm glad I have it. I don't find it detracts from the wilderness experience at all but makes me feel a little more secure on solo hikes.

The SPOT will send preset text messages. I believe they are coming out with a new one that will send custom text messages, but won't be two way, like a phone. The alternative is a SATPHONE, which can be used for two way texting.

The alternative is a SATPHONE, which can be used for two way texting.
Or even two way voice! :)

While nothing is 100% reliable, a satphone is probably your best bet for communications from way out in the wild. But they suffer from similar skyview issues as GPSes--the signals can be blocked by terrain, vegetation, and buildings. (I have read of conversations being held in short bits as satellites came in and out of view.) And they are pretty expensive.

If requesting a rescue in case of an accident is your primary use, a PLB is probably your best bet and a good bit cheaper. (The frequencies used by PLBs are probably less affected by terrain and vegetation too.)

Doug