Bringing a summit wind shelter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
On a windy winter peak last year, a fellow hiker took out a large sheeting of nylon or polyester with a clear window and three of us got inside it, eliminating the wind and dramatically increasing warmth and comfort for a summit lunch. It was called the VCP igloo and cost well over $140. I'm thinking that it really is probably no different than just bringing a lightweight rain fly of a 3-4 person tent that many already own. I'm not sure this would be effective as an emergency bivy since it has no radiant heat inducing properties.

But, it worked for breaktime comfort. Does a tent fly make sense to carry in a day pack or are there superior items to use instead?

The best portable shelter in windy conditions should be a bag you climb into and only have to zip closed. Even that can be difficult in high wind. I would think that a tent fly would be flapping all over the place, and the best you might accomplish would be to wrap yourself up in it like a mummy.

Wild Things makes a 13 oz. bivy shelter that can accommodate four (or more, in a pinch). I don't know about the ultralight 9 oz. version:

http://www.lorsey.com/store-products-Bivy-Shelter-Wild-Things-Bivy-Shelter_1095457500.html

Some NH AMC hike leaders used to have something like this when I first started hiking seriously again about a dozen years ago. I think it was called the "Gwynlee Nest." I don't know what it weighed in at. Kevin -- you must remember it; maybe even had one?

Something like the Wild Things shelter is good winter emergency gear to have available. I don't spend that much time on the summit, though, too cold and windy usually. I'd prefer to experience the summit and then descend to a more secluded dining experience. ;)