Broke a pole & proud of young son.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
First off I have to gloat a little.
I was planning an overnight to break-in some gear (some broke) :eek: and my 8 1/2 year old wanted to go if he could bring his x-country skiis. He carried a 18 lb pack and his skiis. The hike in to 10 Mile River Lean-to is only about a mile and then it opens up with fields and trails, so that's where we went. It was about 35 during the day and got down to about 19 saturday night. As soon as I started setting up the tent, I broke a pole. I'm into "gear", like most of us, but had no repair kit, I splinted the pole with some extra stakes and duct tape. The whole time I'm struggling with the gear my son was skiing and exploring the immediate area. We skied a bit of the trails, had dinner in the lean-to and played cards in the tent. After I got tired he stayed up playing his game boy. He slept well. He skied more the next morning as I made breakfast and packed up. He never moaned or complained once about anything. :D

Now to the pole. Do I repair with ferrules or order a replacement ? Maybe both ?

What brand of pole is it? I broke one of my Leki poles sliding down Allen Brook a couple of weeks ago. Called up Leki in Buffalo, explained what broke, and they sent me a replacement section, free of charge no questions asked.

It's a Sierra Designs Alpha CD, one of the two main poles. I emailed Sierra last night and left a message there this morning. This was clearly my fault, not faulty gear. If they'll repair this one, great. I'll probably order a new one in the mean time, anyway. I guess I really just need the one section and then re-string the cord ?

Edited

okay, I spoke to them, ordered a new one for $25 and I'm sending back the old one for repair, which sounds like $0.

Last edited:
Jeebus said:
your son is a stud! you on the other hand... :D just kidding.

Tell, me about it. Just when you start thinking you're pretty cool - life, gear and mother nature are there to remind you otherwise. Oh well, live and learn, that's why I like going out when and where it's not critical.