Caffeine and Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
I have heard that to much caffeine will give you muscle craps while hiking. Is this true? I love my coffee in the morning and when I am at base camp I usually have a cup before I head out on the trail. I have never had any problems with my muscles cramping except maybe the day after my muscles are a bit tight. Which I know was not becasue of the caffeine but because I over exerted myself :eek:

What are your thoughts on caffeine and muscle cramping?

Thanks,
ADAM

Cramps can be brought on by dehydration. Caffeine tends to dehydrate the body. So caffeine could cause cramps.

That being said, one cup of joe in the morning is probably not going to cause enough dehydration to lead to cramps. As long as you're drinking enough water to stay hydrated, it shouldn't be a problem. [NB, I'm not a doctor]

I always carry a plastic French press and freshly ground beans with me on backpacking trips, and will have at least one (and sometimes 2) cups before hitting the trail. I'm very aware of my hydration level though, and make sure to follow up my morning brew with at least 1/2 qt of water to make sure I'm adequately watered for activity. I bring in non-dairy coffee creamer (usually a plain and a chocolate for mocha goodness) and some raw sugar....for me, it's a very nice, relaxing way to start the day....and the campmates have never complained, either.

Regarding your dehydration query.....I've done this on trips of 7-10 days, covering 12-18 miles/day, and at elevations of 11-14k, all without any negative effects that could be attributed to the caffeine consumption. I think so long as you're conscientious about drinking enough water to offset the diuretic properties of the java you're good to go. My .02.

Trekkin

I recently heard of a study which stated that all the fluid intake which accompanies caffeinated beverages more than compensates for the diuretic effect of the caffeine. No-Doz might be a different story, however.

going on a trip and dropping your caffiene levels drasticly will induce headaches.

For leg cramps...make sure you are getting enough elctrolytes ie Potassium. I put alot of dried banana chips in my trail mix. The greasy black banana in the pack is funny once.

"I have heard that to much caffeine will give you muscle craps while hiking."

I've got to tell you, I've never had the muscle craps. But too much coffe can give you regular craps...as in "the coffee had a foot in it."

Seriously, I don't think caffeine is a major contributer to cramping, except secondary to dehydration, secondary to diuresis, as other have pointed out. Bigger contributor is electrolyte imbalances. For a hard hike, I usually take along some electrolyte replacement like gatorade o powerade. Always dilute with water to about 50/50, as these drinks are too concentrated straight, and actually pull water out of your system and into your stomach if consumed straight.

(Also not a doctor! Just a joker...)

Caffeine will not cause muscle cramps. However, it will enable your muscles to utilize more fat versus sugar - this is good - for the performance of physical work. You will never run out of fat but it is very easy to run low on muscle sugar and become fatigued.

Neil said:
Caffeine will not cause muscle cramps. However, it will enable your muscles to utilize more fat versus sugar - this is good - for the performance of physical work. You will never run out of fat but it is very easy to run low on muscle sugar and become fatigued.
However, I have read that you need some carbo to use the fat, so you want to keep some carbo in the system.

Doug

If picking up a cup at the local store/Dunkins/Honey Dew, etc, just ask them to put in some decaf also.

If it's part of your usual routine it probably won't be an issue

Neil said:
Caffeine.... will enable your muscles to utilize more fat versus sugar - this is good - for the performance of physical work. You will never run out of fat but it is very easy to run low on muscle sugar and become fatigued.

Neil - I used to think that way, but now I think exactly the opposite -

Caffeine without carbohydrates will cause the liver to release glucose into the blood stream. This gives you a short term blood sugar high that can usually be followed by a blood sugar low as a your body reacts by producing insulin to store the excess sugar as fat. Drinking coffee can cause your body to store the carbs as fat. This doesn't happen to all people, but folks with certain body chemistries go through this.

Many folks get used to this bit of a high and the nice sensation that occurs as the insulin is released into your bloodstream. I beleive this is why coffee consumption is associated with so many carbohydrate loaded sweets and processed baked goods. (coffee & donuts or cake or pastries or desert).

I only found this out last October when I gave up caffeine completely (I was drinking 3 huge commuter mugs a day. I started reading the effects of caffeine and now understand why my doctor had been telling me for a decade I should cut back on the stuff.

I always thought Caffeine was a a great way to help one keep weight off - The opposite is true for many. When one comes down from the caffeine high - Usually right before lunch they are famished, tend to overeat, and then drink coffee again to re-start the process.

I dream of caffeine sometimes, but will stick with my decaf coffee now!!!

Mmm! Chock Full o' glycogen...

One cup sounds like pretty modest consumption, so it probably wouldn't have much effect. It does seem like a good idea to watch your water intake, however. I disagree with the professor; caffeine really squeezes me dry.

E. Schlimmer said:
It should also be noted that the U.S. Olympic Committee and U.S. Cycling Federation (and perhaps NORBA, the National Off-Road Bicycle Association) limits the intake of caffeine, so chances are caffeine does provide an advantage.

I had the impression that caffeine was banned by the International Olympics Committee.

It definitely is a drug. Rick, you are on the money about losing weight with coffee. It is a great appetite suppressant, but when it wears off, hide the Twinkies!

national geographic magazine

i recently read an article about caffine and coffee in national geographic magazine. it was probably last month's issue, lots of great info including facts about some of the posts in this thread.

red bull for hiking? bad idea, but great with vodka when you first get to a bar if your feelin' kinda tired!:)

Various Gu's & Gels

I noticed that some of the those gu's and gel's have caffine in them. Power Gel has 25mg. The best part is that they are packed with electrolites to replace any kind of deyhdration the caffine might cause. I mix the little packs in all my water that I drink while actually hiking. My camp water I drink with gatorade, tea, or just plain water. Since I've started using the Power Gel I have felt like a hole new hiker. Much more energy and that little extra power to make it to camp before dinner!

tea time?

my favorite hot beverage while backpacking (or going to school!) is yerba mate (ma-tay). it's a south american tea that is extremely popular there, but it is just beginning to get more recognition in america. it has the cafeine (sp?) of coffee, but it keeps me going longer. i don't know any of the scientific facts with it, but i know that it helps me hike longer without getting tired. something in it makes my muscles flow very smoothly, and it has never once caused any cramping, or crapping. i'd strongly recommend that you all try it. i've seen it in bags and loose leaf too (good for the trail, bring a tea ball though). i only drink it loose leaf, and it's done wonders for me. you can buy a half pound for between 8 and 10 dollars at most natural foods/organic foods type of places. try it!

luke

I like coffee in the morning and a mountain dew once I reach the summit. Gives me a boost.

Coffee can cause ... um... digestive problems ... if you're not a regular drinker.

Caffeine should be avoided if you have high blood pressure.

Everytime one of these threads comes up regarding nutrition, I'm amazed by the number of people who seem to treat hiking like a world-class sports performance. Vitamins, supplements, caffeine, blood-doping (well, OK... I haven't seen that discussed here... yet). Seriously, most of the studies cited in this and other discussions are talking about enhancements at the very limits of human performance. I know that there are super-hikers out there, but I'd like to propose that for 99.9% of hikers none of these various nutritional "enhancements" amount to a fart in the wind on the top of Marcy or Washington. Eat a balanced diet, drink plenty of water, and don't do anything much different than you do at home (increase your caloric input to offset the increase in calories you expend hiking) and you'll be fine. I think that when people start ingesting unfamiliar foods and supplements during a hike they're more likely to run into the very problems they're trying to avoid (blood sugar swings, digestive problems, etc.). Not only that, but a lot of what people consume to increase "performance" while hiking tastes like crap, and why put yourself through that.
OK, that's my rant for this morning... :eek: