Camping Stats Down

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you notice the article listed near the bottom of your linked page about the Keene NH farmhouse? It seems a farmhouse valued at $280,000 is for sale for one dollar. Of course there is a catch but one heck of a deal for someone with the ability to act on it.

There was also a link to "OUT THERE: A one-day traverse across New Hampshire's Presidential " which was a nice read.

Back on subject, I agree that folks are liking it cushier (is that a word?).
I had worked for an outdoor outfitter for a number of years and I see the commecial trips now changing from backpacking or kayak/canoe camping to motel/B&B trips and less miles of activity per day, as the "regular" clientele is getting older.

For the past 20 years or so, I use to think nothing of loading up my truck with gear and going somewhere every weekend. now I am in my mid-40s and I look at my wife (and little one) and think, "Sure wouldn't be bad to stay in a motel and not to have to lug all this camping gear with us..." But then my frugality kicks in and I realize the $300 we save on hotels (less any camping fees) and the $150 we save on dining out in restaurants will be more rewarding invested in my son's college savings.

I think I'll be one of those old guys "crawling out of a tent and grabbing my aching back" for quite a while longer before I give in to crisp clean sheets and pillows that reek of cigarette smoke from a previous motel customer. :D

Rick, I'll give the other POV on this topic. I'll price out a campsite -- usually $20+ to find a site with showers (which are a MUST for me). Then I'll notice that for an extra $15, I can get a hotel room in Gorham with cable, a/c, fridge, microwave, pool, and a nice bed with clean sheets and it becomes an easy choice for me.

The only way I'll camp out now is if conditions are PERFECT! (no bugs, nice site, perfect weather).

Daniel Boone I aint.

I noticed last Saturday as I hiked out past John's Brook Lodge that almost all of the leanto's were empty. There were a few campers but a few years ago it was really difficult to find a leanto in that area and campers were all over the place. The trails also seemed sparsely peopled and parking spots were still available at the Garden. Maybe gas prices or graduation parties are keeping them away? I kind of like it better that way myself.

trends come and go

I remember when it was called "hiking", before it was became "treking". My hope is that the trendiness has plateaued and will not be "cool" anymore. I don't buy the idea that attracting people out of the cities and into the forest is good for the forest. So, any reduction in usage is great news to me :)

dentonfabrics said:
Rick, I'll give the other POV on this topic. I'll price out a campsite -- usually $20+ to find a site with showers .

Backcountry sites with access to streams to wash, $0.

Not camping makes extended trips out of the question. However, I will admit that the shower after a 2 or 3 day hiking trip is second to what I dream about on the last mile. Second to the pizza/burger I'll grab on the way home.

-Shayne

JimB said:
I noticed last Saturday as I hiked out past John's Brook Lodge that almost all of the leanto's were empty. There were a few campers but a few years ago it was really difficult to find a leanto in that area and campers were all over the place.

Last Friday there was a severe Thunderstorm watch forecasting hard rain and hail. That may have been why the trails were quiet Saturday. I was scheduled to hike Friday but postponed it to Saturday because of the forecast. Was glad I did, some of the best Weather I've ever had in the ADK's to hike the great views of Armstrong, Gothics, and Sawteeth.

-Shayne

It seems a proven point, nature does have a way of getting rid of the weak, I just didn't think it would happen so fast. :eek:

Very well said Paul. I was thinking the same thing!

forestnome said:
...I don't buy the idea that attracting people out of the cities and into the forest is good for the forest. So, any reduction in usage is great news to me :)

Except that the people who don't appreciate it forest, are the ones who reject state & fed. budgets that pay for the parks and reserves. I agree that overuse can be a problem, but I think an appreciation of nature by more people would be good for nature as a whole, and the best way to gain that appreciation is to go out and experience it first hand.

I love bag nights, and at 50 I'm nowhere near ready to go the tourist route. No offense meant, but I can sleep in my bed and shower at home (or in my cabin) about 300 days a year. For now, give me the trail and a tent and I'm happy. FWIW, I agree with spaddock, but will throw in a beer to that dream.

As for less people out there, I wonder how much of an effect oil prices have on this? I know that the cold winter added to an already hefty fuel bill, and it does take a bit of weekday planning to make sure I can swing the gas to get me up north. Of course, I've been up north 11 of 14 weekends since 4/15, so I can't complain :eek: I guess I'm bucking the trend :D

Besides, hiking in to a wilderness site is just terrible. Really, it is. Don't do it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
SherpaKroto said:
I agree with spaddock, but will throw in a beer to that dream.

I don't drink... so for me it's always a bottle of coke. The sugar tastes so good after a lot of miles.

Oil prices could definitely be playing a factor. It costs me about $100 CDN to drive down to the ADK's now. Will cost even more when I start driving out to the Whites. Say two trips a month and $200 can definitely make a dent in somebody's budget.

For me I'll give up other things first though. If I stay home on a weekend I'll at least go out for dinner once instead of eating cheap trail side.

-Shayne

SherpaKroto said:
As for less people out there, I wonder how much of an effect oil prices have on this? I know that the cold winter added to an already hefty fuel bill, and it does take a bit of weekday planning to make sure I can swing the gas to get me up north.

Amazingly, I heard recently that demand for gas was *UP* from a year ago!

:eek:

I think a big part of it is gas prices. I know the campsites in NJ are booked up every weekend. That is because NJ parks are much closer to get to for people in NE Jersey, NYC, and PHily. Where most of the national parks are a lot farther and cost alot more in gas to get to.

I dont camp only because of where I live. I am in the country and live next to over 100,000 acres of parklands. I get to wake up to peace and quite as well as wildlife every morning. No need for me to pack up all the gear just for a weekend. Too much work. I would rather spend that extra time hiking more miles.