Can You Identify This Bird?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Puck. Juvenile northern saw whet. Read carefully his post about taking into consideration the habitat. If you want to identify a bird that you are clueless about be absolutely sure to consider habitat and range.

Owls don't flush like other birds. They sit quietly and watch us and you'd never know they were there.

BorealChickadee said:
...Owls don't flush like other birds. They sit quietly and watch us and you'd never know they were there.

Not the saw whet. They can make quite a ruckus when "threatened." Similar to the sound of a NYMO truck backing up.

WOW, lots of great info everyone, thanks. In terms of more data, this bird was about 6-8 inches tall and I remember thinking it was a juvenile...(no idea why I thought that.) Where I spotted it was in a mostly hardwoods area at the end of the day. I was really very surprised that I was able to "sneak" up on it given that my dog was out in front of me and we were bushwacking. But it just sat there on the branch of the tree while I pulled my camera out. The other call I heard was two short and soft hoots, spaced apart by several seconds. Looking at all these pictures the saw whet certainly appears closest.

Thanks again for sharing all the knowledge!