Carter Dome - Now and Then

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
We hiked Carter Dome today August 9, 2009. We had previously hiked Carter Dome on March 14, 2009. On the winter hike we hiked all three Carters and were amazed at the views that day. We knew there was a lot of snow and we were getting views we didn't normally get. Today I approximated where we were when the winter picture was taken. This is coming off Carter Dome and looking at Mt Hight in the distance. Quite a difference in views.

IMG_0085.JPG

Hikes%20042.JPG

That stretch from Carter Dome to Mt Hight always seems to collect a lot of snow. I remember the first time I attempted it and had to turn back due to drifts across the trail that were over 6' tall and unconsolidated.

I thought it was cool when I hiked Carter Dome in Jan 08 and the summit sign was sticking out of the snow, went back in March the same winter and it was totally buried.

I agree Hight seems to collect snow, we broke it out that January and the drifts were unbelievably high!

Neat shots! I was fortunate enough to visit it twice this winter/spring whilst the snowpack was at its deepest - a neat experience!

Wow, that's amazing. Alex and I did that in the winter and had views simiar to your March picture. Didn't realize at the time exactly how deep that snow was!

Neat pics. Did we see you yesterday right around the top of Mt. Hight? Me: late thirties, black curly hair; daughter: six, braided pigtails?

mirabela said:
Neat pics. Did we see you yesterday right around the top of Mt. Hight? Me: late thirties, black curly hair; daughter: six, braided pigtails?

Was that you and your very shy daughter we chatted with at Zeta Pass? You were telling us about your friend who had an accident with a knife? If that was you then that was us. Did you make it up to Mt Hight alright?

Yup, that was us. At first I thought you were the folks we met on the rocks right before the top about half an hour later. For whatever reason, Isidora was out in front and a bit more talkative with those guys.

She got inspired up there and lobbied for the whole loop over Carter Dome and down via the hut. I didn't see any particular reason why not, so that's what we did. It was a fun hike, particularly memorable as an education in changing mountain weather. Our friends made it out in good time and good cheer; we spoke with them yesterday and Jeff is richer by a few stitches and one cautionary tale.

See you 'round --

Matt

Great meeting and chatting with you Matt and Isidora. That was a great day to be out and about. Hope you got down before the rain hit.