Catskills Peak Bagging this weekend !!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motabobo said:
Cool we'll be there.
Are crampons a must for those bushwalks (Bearpen, Vly, North Dome, Sherril, Halcott) or only agressive crampons on snowshoes are enough ? (Tubbs Mountain and MSR Denalis).
Thanks

I tend to just leave my crampons in the pack all winter, just 'cause you never know. However, the five mountains in question here are not places you are likely to need them. Very little water ice, if any at all, and if there was, it would probably be easy to avoid. You'd probably only want crampons for these hikes if there was really hard, icy snow.

Matt

I'm bringing the snowshoes, the crampons the axe....My brain hurts when I try to decide...overthink...whether or not I'd need them.

:confused:

ok guys, how about good directions from the thruway....thx..my eyes are hurting me :confused: ...also ....every trip i still can't decide on what pants to wear...think i'll just stick to the full zip gortex just in case i want to glissade on purpose or by accident :rolleyes:

You wont need crampons to do Bearpen and Vly and neither Sherrill from the lower parking lot on 42. I haven't done balsam yet but it's on the radar. There are some nice boulders on the east face of Sherrill but nothing real cliffy like those on Friday.

I would say just pack the snowshoes and use that if you need traction!

Jay

Just a couple more thoughts...

I was on Bearpen/Vly last weekend. We went up from Halcott Mtn. Road. There are now signs that say "no parking snowplow turnaround." It wasn't a day that we were going to be blessed with snow so we parked without incident. We used snowshoes once we were in the col but we've lost a ton more snow up here this week :( so I'm not sure if they'll still be needed.

Have fun!

There are some nice spots to camp by the Halcott PA over towards the second stream. As Jay suggested the Rt 42 PA for Sherrill is used by hunters all the time, shouldn't be a problem. The notch side of Balsam is extermly steep and full of boulders, steer for the PA. We got about 4-6" snow this week in the N cats, but rain is on the way again.

Hello All

Sure is a lot of great information put out for this trip. Count me in for Saturday. What is the latest list of planned peaks and meeting area?

George

We are supposed to have some news, sometimes today from Zer0-G.
Which of the two parking lots is the more quiet (noise from car passing by), Sherrill or Halcott ?
Thanks

Considering that the standard parking for Halcott is simply on the southbound side of 42 and that the standard parking for Sherrill is off the road, behind a row of evergreens and frequently used as camping by the hunters... The trailhead parking for Sherrill is going to be way more quiet than Halcott. Plus, the parking space for Halcott is only practical enough for 3-5 cars whereas the parking lot for Sherrill is quite large.

Jay

p.s. Motabobo, what are you climbing in CA and NV this year as per your website?

Ok, this is great! It is truly turning into an inspired event.

I am taking the liberty to alter the plans very slightly.

I am dropping Balsam off the route in order to focus more on Halcott. (due to personal 3500 club ambitions).

The entire trip from the DP to Northdome to Sherrill to Halcott via my estimations is approximately 9 miles.

We will meet between 8 and 8:30. Please no later than 8:30.
At the Halcott Parking Area on CR 42. That's the northern of the two.
We will then drive the short distance to the more southern of the two Parking areas.

Because, we will descend the ridge from Sherrill to the southern PA. Hop in the cars and boogie to the northern PA where we will embark for Halcott.

We will drop some cars there and drive north on 42 to cr 6, hang a right to the trailhead for the devils path and begin our hike from there.

Sunday, we will all meet at 8 am at the parking area for the hike up Bearpen and Vly.

I will review the directions to the parking area for Bearpen and Vly with everyone after the hike on Saturday. It's real close by, perhaps we will even drive to it Saturday after the hike.

Now as far as directions: A few miles west outside of Phoenicia on rt 28, CR42 intersects with 28. Go north (hang a left). Keep an eye out for the northern PA a fewmiles up the road on the left.

Jean: You can come from the north and save a bunch of miles by getting off the thruway on exit 20. Take 32 - at the intersection after you leave the thruway toll plaza , make a left - you can follow the signs to Hunter Mountain. You' eventually get too rt 23a . You can check a map from there if you like You'll go through Hunter. AT Lexington you will come across CR42. Make a left on 42. The parking areas are on this road. The first one is on the right.
Keep an eye out for the CR (County Road) signs for they may not be at the intersection, sometimes they are a few yards down the road. If you get to Mosquito Point or Prattsville, you've gone too far.

At this point, I believe there will be 5 of us.

If anyone else needs directions from 28, let me know, it is real easy.
Just past Phoenicia and Alaben (at Shandaken) you will run into CR 42.

Jean and those camping out - Heed the advice from the other contributors as I have nothing additional to add to that.

See you all between 8 and 8:30 tomorrow morning.
Be prepared -
Ronnie

Jay H said:
Motabobo, what are you climbing in CA and NV this year as per your website?
Mt.Whitney and Boundary Peak of course !!! We are considering other classics like Shasta, Lassen, Half-Dome, etc...We will climb whatever the time allows us to climb. I'm crossing my fingers to win the Whitney Lottery :confused: but I'm considering several mountaineering routes as well, just in case.

See you on the trail tomorrow.

Cool, I can't make the hike this weekend, but I am headed out to do Hood/Shasta this year but a friend on the same trip was thinking of doing Whitney and Boundary too before the trip, this would be early July... You have a timeframe yet?

Back to the catskills... Ronnie, looked at your directions, if you're going west on Rt 28, to get to SR42 North and Halcott or Sherrill, you'd have to make a right on SR42 not a left. Bring your compass! :) Just kidding...

Jay

I was just testing to see if anyone was paying attention ... Hee hee.

North is right going west and so is Jay H..... :D

Jay H said:
You have a timeframe yet?
We are in Los Angeles July 14th and we leave the 31st. We don't have plans yet because we will be planning everything depending on when exactly we do climb Whitney (we asked a permit for any days between July 17th and July 26th.) *crossing my fingers*

Is this the right parking lot for Halcott where we'll be meeting to ? :
2.4 miles S of the hamlet of West kill. This point is also 5.0 miles N of the NY42-NY 28 jct. In Shandaken and just S of the height of land in Deep Notch. Usually Plowed in Winter. Coming from a guidebook...

Cool Jean, sounds like the right time frame. I don't think my friend and I have planned it right to apply for the mountaineer's route on Whitney.. Perhaps we'll see each other on the mtn! :)

Anyway, Halcott's parking area is not hard to miss, it is in Deep Notch section of 42, there is a somewhat large wooden trailhead sign there at the parking area but as it's simply a extended shoulder that is typically snowcovered but plowed in winter, it isn't hard to miss. Much of SR42 has a guardrail on it so if you are coming south on SR42 like you would from Rt 23A, you would just keep an eye out on the right for a pull off area. You should be able to see Balsam on the left and a taller NE peak of Halcott on the right there (both on the Catskills hundred highest, BTW ;) ) just bofore the parking area. They are just over 3000' or so but under 3500'....

Jay

Jay H said:
Cool Jean, sounds like the right time frame. I don't think my friend and I have planned it right to apply for the mountaineer's route on Whitney.. Perhaps we'll see each other on the mtn! :)
Jay
Jay,
application is in for the Mt. Whitney Trail :) if we take the mountaineer's route, we don't need a permit...just stronger legs! :D