Cell phones and hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntlerPeak

Reaction score
Rather than hijack the Mt Washington rescue thread I thought I'd add this here. My qualifier is that I hate cell phones but recognize they are or can be a useful tool. A couple of years ago I was watching the local TV news and they led with this story, "Climber hanging over a ledge on Mt Rainier details to follow." Of course I waited. When they finally got to it after the sports and weather they added merely the fellow fell and rescue operations were under way. That's it the sum of the report.

I knew that there was a TV station that streamed their broadcast on the internet. It was Northwest Cable News that had a Washington, Oregon, Idaho coverage area similar in design to CNN. So I tuned in. KIRO channel 7 in seattle had their chopper up there providing a live report. It seems three or four roped climbers fell, one over a ledge and was hanging there while the others went into a cravass and were suspended helpless on the other end of the rope. The guy on the ledge had a cell phone and called 911. Well the rescue was covered in full by northwest Cable News, very interesting to watch. All survived with little or no significant injuries.

That was of course before the lawsuits that effectively ended the promise of internet TV and radio, ( another rant for another place ) The point is as big a pain as I think cell phones are the things can be a useful tool. What do you guys think?

We carry a map, compass, gps, and cell phone on almost all hikes. We consider a cell phone as important as a first aid kit. Years ago I came across a hiker who had fallen and broken an ankle on a not heavily used trail. His wife had just left to go get help. The response time could have been reduced by hours if they, or I had a cell phone with them. Other uses can be to call a loved one when you are delayed to ensure they do not call out rescue teams if you miscalculated the effort.

As I stated elsewhere, I just consider a cell phone part of my first-aid kit. Something you hope you don't need, but in an accident can be very useful.

Climbers wear ropes, don't they? They usually hope they won't need them (ie fall), but are very glad they are wearing the rope when they do fall.

I also see no problem with anyone using a cell phone as long as they are not annoying or risking (ie while driving) anyone else.

Doug

Cell phones can certainly be a nice tool to have...but they can be obnoxious in the mountains....but I suppose the people who are obnoxious with them in the hills are the same people who loudly spout off in them next to you in the restaurtant also....
A few years ago we were climbing Big Slide the the Adks on a nice summer day (so we weren't expecting wilderness solitude) and when we hit the summit there had to be (no exaggeration) 4 or 5 people talking on their cell phones at the same time...I swear every other person on the summit had a cell phone stuck to their ear.....

pat

I alway carry a cell phone, I carry it turned off, this conserves battery life when there is no signal and also prevents incoming calls. It only comes out of the in case of emergency (hasn't happen yet, fortunately) and to make a quick call home to give my ETA. Unfortuately that call usually needs to be made at or near the summit to get good reception. Other than that I am in the woods to get away from civilization.

Here is an annual thread that always sparks controversy..........

Being on call 7 x 24, I need to have mine with me all the time, so I have to carry it. However, in the mountains I just turn it on vibrate, or turn it off and check it every few hours.

It has become a necessary evil. If you need help fast for you or a fellow hiker, you'll be glad to have it. It is one of those pieces of equipment that is better to have and not need - than to need it and NOT have it. Several others I hike with also are on call and carry their phones. If your not obnoxious with it and respect others it should not be an issue.

amstony said:
If your not obnoxious with it and respect others it should not be an issue.

That is pretty much what it boils down to. If you can have a quiet conversation on your phone, I don't see any problem. If you have to yell into the phone because of signal or wind, etc... consider heading off the summit or away from the shelter a short ways. A little consideration and a little understanding should make this issue a non-issue.

chomp said:
That is pretty much what it boils down to. If you can have a quiet conversation on your phone, I don't see any problem. If you have to yell into the phone because of signal or wind, etc... consider heading off the summit or away from the shelter a short ways. A little consideration and a little understanding should make this issue a non-issue.
I carry my cell phone when I go hiking because if my car is broken into I don't want it stolen. I don't have a home phone so I rely on my cell phone.

I have a confession to make: On Father's Day, when I was on the summit of Adams, there was nobody on the summit so I called my dad to wish him a Happy Father's Day. He was more interested in talking about my brother's trouble with diarrhea, but you get the point.

Dr. Wu: Hi Dad, Happy Father's Day...
Dad: Thanks, let me tell you about your brother's diarrhea...
Dr. Wu: No, Dad, I'm on the summit of Adams...
Dad: Well, I think it has something to do with his diet... etc. etc.
Dr. Wu: *sigh*

If there had been people there I would have been too shy to take the phone out though. And I certainly wouldn't have put it on speaker.

I've never thought about it for an emergency situation... I never ever get decent cell reception so it's not something I'd rely on. I might as well expect to get rescued by Billy Dee Williams or something rather than count on my cell phone if I were injured.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
cell phones can be a handy first aide tool if someone is in trouble I agree. But when I did marcy three years ago (my first and only time so far), a group of three guys reached the summit the same time as I did. I sat down to enjoy the view and eat lunch. They "ALL" got on separate cell phones and called their girl friends, family and guys at work. Yelling at the top of their lungs "GUESS WHERE I AM DUDE!". I dont think they enjoyed the view even once. It was very annoying :(

There are two issues with cell phones. Yacking away is annoying, but relatively harmless. Another problem comes from pushing the sense of security they give you.

Several years ago, I was climbing a peak (forget which) but turned around due to a snowstorm coming in, visibility disappearing, etc. As I was heading down, I met a group coming up. Imentioned that conditions were kind of dangerous, and that they should think of turning back.

"We'll be OK, we have a few cell phones to call for help if we run into any problems."

IMO, that kind of thinking is much worse than an obnoxious yaking.

Me? I refuse to carry a cell phone. For work, for hiking, for personal use. Call me retro.

I carry a cell phone. It doubles as my camera. I take alot of pictures with it. I have used it in a non emergency situation before. I agree that chatting away on the summit is a bit obnoxious, but so is hiking behind someone who has eaten tacos the night before your hike...I leave it off and in my pack.

Pete_Hickey said:
"We'll be OK, we have a few cell phones to call for help if we run into any problems."

IMO, that kind of thinking is much worse than an obnoxious yaking.

Me? I refuse to carry a cell phone. For work, for hiking, for personal use. Call me retro.
Then there was the time ranger Joe K. told me he received a cell phone call from someone who thought they were on such and such a trail but were unsure, and could he please tell them how to get to where they wanted to be? I think he's still steamed about that one. He says that kind of thing happens more and more now. I also saw a story about the couple in Colorado who called the ranger to ask how to operate their brand new, still in the box GPS. right.

The other danger of cell phone proliferation is the demand for continuous coverage in the wilderness. People expect it is their right to be within range of a cell tower and why aren't there more towers in the wilderness anyway? If it is that important to you, get a satellite phone.

I'm with you Pete, I don't carry one either.

OK, I know that you have been waiting for this so.... :D

As I have mentioned before. I don't own a cell phone, my wife, both sons and my mother in law do. There a many sites that it doesn't work in the Whites. It works even less in the valleys of the "tall" mountains out in the backcountry. I do carry, at all times, a 2 meter amateur radio (its actually a tri bander :D). I have used it to get help for people in the mountains where cell phones were not working and to let my wife at home (in CT with help from other local amateurs) know what my status was on week long trips or solo camping excursions in both the Whites and the Dacks.

I don't incessantly chat on it but I rarely go to where the crowds are anyway so my chatting isn't usually an issue. If I do chat from a peak and there are others there, I do it with stealth and cunning. :p :D

I won't go through all of it again but here is an inkling.
Old link

Apologies to those that are tired of hearing about it. :D

Keith

Last edited:
Nessmuk said:
Then there was the time ranger Joe K. told me he received a cell phone call from someone who thought they were on such and such a trail but were unsure, and could he please tell them how to get to where they wanted to be? ...
Cell phones don't make stupid calls, people make stupid calls. :)

Doug

Last edited:

The could have been telling a "little white lie."

Oh wait, wrong thread. :D

I think the "horror" stories have been told already about the misuses of this optional "tool". There are however, numerous stories regarding successful SARs due to the precence of this "tool" with stranded/lost/injured hikers.

Peace.

Pete_Hickey said:
We all ("the experienced ones") have our "less than favorable" opinons of the people who go out hiking carrying just a cell phone for emergency and navigation gear. (Add a GPS if they are really sophisticated...) And, of course, the stories of the "I'm lost", "where am I", and/or, "come get me" cell phone calls from people who are standing on or next to a trail or are just tired.

Sure, these calls make great stories (particularly for reminding us how much more we know than these duffers) and infuriate the officials who have to answer them.

But is there another side? I'm sure the technology gives some the confidence to go out to places that they would otherwise not go, but
perhaps some (many?) of these calls come from people who would otherwise go out into the woods and then get into trouble even without the cell phone. (After all, beginners and duffers have been doing this since day one...) I suspect the annoying phone calls have also prevented some real calls to the local SAR teams.

I doubt that one could gather the statistics to show whether cell phones net improve or reduce the safety in the woods. But there is the other side of the coin that I (and I think, we) often ignore.

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
But is there another side? I'm sure the technology gives some the confidence to go out to places that they would otherwise not go, but
perhaps some (many?) of these calls come from people who would otherwise go out into the woods and then get into trouble even without the cell phone. (After all, beginners and duffers have been doing this since day one...) I suspect the annoying phone calls have also prevented some real calls to the local SAR teams.

I doubt that one could gather the statistics to show whether cell phones net improve or reduce the safety in the woods. But there is the other side of the coin that I (and I think, we) often ignore.

Doug
On the other hand, those same duffers could have hired a professional guide to take them into the woods safely. That technology has been around for since day one also and doesn't require batteries or cell towers.

I am a SAR team member and would not be without my squad radio or GPS tools when doing my job, but just don't see the requirement for them when I am recreating in the wild.

I do carry bandaids and such in a first aid kit when I backpack, that I keep safely inside my pack and hope to never use. If only I could keep other hikers from putting their bandaids on me for no good reason :), then I guess they could carry a cell phone tucked away for emergency use only also.

Abuse leads to regulation. I'm sure that lady who a couple of hours ago almost ran into me because she couldn't effectively negotiate the turn out of the parking lot knew that it is illegal in this state to drive while talking on a hand held cell phone. But I'm also sure she just doesn't care.

Nessmuk said:
On the other hand, those same duffers could have hired a professional guide to take them into the woods safely. That technology has been around for since day one also and doesn't require batteries or cell towers.
Also possible. But many of them wouldn't have done so.

I was just trying to suggest that in our focus on the "stupid calls" for help (ie the ones that no experienced hiker would have the need to make) we are ignoring that the advice that the "stupid callers" get may actually keep some of them out of trouble, even if the official answering the call is annoyed by the lack of skill displayed by the caller.

I am a SAR team member and would not be without my squad radio or GPS tools when doing my job, but just don't see the requirement for them when I am recreating in the wild.
For recreation, one brings these devices by choice, not by requirement. Remember too that pre-European natives used to navigate these same areas without map, compass, vibram-soled boots, wool, fleece, Goretex, nylon, polyester, etc. We also use these by choice. I certainly would have done far less without them.

I do carry bandaids and such in a first aid kit when I backpack, that I keep safely inside my pack and hope to never use. If only I could keep other hikers from putting their bandaids on me for no good reason :), then I guess they could carry a cell phone tucked away for emergency use only also.
That is your choice. Others may reasonably make different choices. IMO, the issue with cell phones is courtesy to others around you. (As far as I am concerned, you can use your cell phone for whatever you want as long as you don't annoy or endanger others without good reason.)

Abuse leads to regulation. I'm sure that lady who a couple of hours ago almost ran into me because she couldn't effectively negotiate the turn out of the parking lot knew that it is illegal in this state to drive while talking on a hand held cell phone. But I'm also sure she just doesn't care.
Many humans put personal pleasure or convience ahead of safety for self and others in many arenas of life. And if you are suggesting that these "stupid cell phone calls" (the ones from the woods) are likely to result in regulations prohibiting one from carrying a cell phone in the woods, I think that is quite a stretch.

There is evidence that humans (at least Americans, likely also other cultures) tend toward a constant perceived risk. For instance, after people started using seat belts, they drove faster. From another viewpoint, we are trying to achieve our goals at minimum cost where cost is time, fear (perceived risk), money, gas, etc. So when we bring technology into the outdoors--maps, compasses, GPSes, cell phones, radios, ropes, safety gear, etc, we tend to push the envelope in other ways. And that applies to all of us, experienced woodsman or duffers.

In our zeal to comdem the duffers exploiting advanced technology, we should also look in the mirror. And we should also realize that our scorn reinforces our perception that "we would never do something so foolish".

I'll bet that some of us were beginners too, once upon a time...

Doug

Last edited:
So far the only time I've been tempted to bring a cell with me on a hike is when I've hiked alone, and I've only ended up bringing one a couple of times.

There are several things I like to get away from by going into the mountains, and cell phones are one of them. As far as someone bringing a cell along on a hike, it doesn't bother me one bit as long as I don't hear it ringing or as long as I don't have to listen to someone elses long boring recreational cell phone conversation on a summit.

Should people bring them for safety reasons? It's probably not a bad idea. However, for me part of the allure of going into the woods is the risk factor itself, and bringing a cell phone is just one more way of diminishing that aspect of being out there "in the wild". Ya just gotta leave some things to chance once in a while.

Mostly, it's just that there's just something about seeing a cellphone in the woods that makes that connection with what you're trying to get away from....the rat race.

Last edited:
Phone

I bring mine but always leave it off when hiking. I'll turn it on when I reach a mountain top, and if I have no reception, then I'll turn it back off. If I have a message, I'll check it, and if I need to contact someone about a hook-up, then I'll say what I have to and get off. But, I do carry one for an emergency. It sucks hiking 18 miles down an old road unexpectedly when all you had to do was call someone to pick you up.