Climbing little hills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umsaskis

Reaction score
Two days ago I had a meeting in Berlin, NH which ended at 3:00pm. I took advantage of the early hour to climb a "little hill," the Crow's Nest in Shelburne. Other than the maze of logging roads that made it difficult to find the trail, it was a beautiful climb. There are so many little hills out there that I have never climbed because it isn't worth wasting a whole, good day when I could be climbing a big hill like Bondcliff. But many of the little hills have their own very beautiful character that we miss in our pursuit of big hills. I try to catch as many of the smaller hills as I can. But still, if I have a whole day, I don't often opt for a 6 mile hike when I could do a 14-miler instead.

How do all of you deal with the little hills? Do you skip them or chase after them?

Last edited:
The little hills (2000' elevation, 600' vertical) here in Central NY are true gems. However, when traveling to the mountains 4 hours each way, I like to make sure I get my bang for the buck. I leave the smaller hills for local hikes.

I am enjoying my quest for the 48 4kers but will also be happy when I get that number out of my head...there are so many nice small hills that are really great. I hate that I often feel like I am wasting a hiking day if I hike a smaller mountain. This past weekend I hiked the Welch-Dickey loop and absolutely loved it...Willard is always nice and I have always wanted to hit the Moats, or even rehike some of the bigger mountains I have already done.
The lists are great motivators but they can get in the way.

I often hike Mt. Major. It's close and has a lot of interesting features that are similer to big mountains like relatively steep slabs, rock scrambles and nice loop routes with with the option to traverse a few other small hills. Decent mileage and great views!

Little hills with nearby ponds are nice (e.g. Carr Mountain and Three Ponds, Wolf Mountain and Gordon Pond) once you've scratched that peak bagging itch.

I love hills.

It's Thanksgiving Weekend in Vt. and you're with your S.O.'s extended family... got an hour or two? Hill!

You hiked long and hard through the mud, rain, dirt, for hours and hours and the next day you wake up tired, but it's sunny... Hill!

You're driving on the way back from a long summer weekend, and you look over and see an old ski area...why not? Won't take long, it's a Hill!

Recovering from an injury, flu, eye infection? Hike a hill!

Let's face it... though there are some much bigger mtns, the Long Trail (at least the north) is one big set of Hills!

My hands down favorite is Pitcher Mtn in Stoddard NH, but there are excellent hikes in Acadia.

Last edited:
Nice thread. Forestnome obviously just enjoys being out there, much like a good friend of mine who is not a user of this board. Blue gives some good examples of "hill-bagging" situations when less than a full day is in order.

I'll add this-If you like the hills but do want a full day, mileage, challenge, etc., try combining more than one hill into a hike. Last week Percious (w/ his little son along) and I hiked from Bear Mt. in CT along the AT, over the Mass border, over Mt. Race to Mt. Everett. Very solid hike. The 1st two peaks are about 2300' and Everett is about 2600', so maybe they push the definition of hill slightly, but the principle would still hold with smaller hills lying along a ridge or nearby each other.

I don't know NH, so I don't know if you have lesser elevation stuff in chains or lying along ridges like this. If you don't, I guess you could potentially also hike 2 or 3 hills in the same day by driving from one TH to the other, but this would probably be less fun.

Matt

I have done 30 or so of the 4k NH list. But having dinner on Bald Peak(west of . Kinsman), or the ledges overlooking Lonesome Lake, or reveling in the views of N. Pack, Bald Mtn(Hancock, NH), Gap Mtn, Burn's Hill(Milford, NH), or turning over rotten logs behind my house with the kids to see all the creapy crawly's are all high points of any given week. I respect, and am jealous of those that can hike the "big ones" every weekend, but I can still be quite happy in the lowlands. Took my 73 yr. old father up Moosilauke last fall, and had a great time, but realized that we could have had as much fun on Alander or Brace Mtn's in MA or Isreal in NH.

I run up part of N. Pack 2-3 times week and I see something different every day. And I enjoy it all. Much better than walking or running on some paved road!

Does elevation matter? I think not! :D

Last edited:
I am interested in hiking Brace and Alander. I have climbed just about everything else in that area... Mind as well "close" it out. I think mcorsar would be interested to. Maybe we could all get together for it? Bring your dad! I'll bring my son, it can be sort of a father/son expedition.

-percious

Blue,
Substitute "beer" for "hill" in your post and you'll see where I'm going :eek:

I've found that making a little top on Bald Mtn/Artist's Bluff above Franconia Notch on the way north is a nice way to break up the ride. And you get views like THIS for little effort. Locally, I can't count the times I've been up Holt Hill, a modest 200 foot vertical climb. I know that Allie, my dog loves Holt Hill :)

Little hills are great to get the kids into hiking. They over a little bit of everything for the curious minds, rocks, trees, wildlife, streams and views to name a few. One thing they lack is a long car ride that the big hills require for most of us.

Watatic, N & S Pack, (ok anything along the Wapack) Little Monadnock and Gap are all little hikes all worth it in my opinion. And like Quietman it is nice to have these in our "backyards"

I would highly suggest "Hiking in the Monadnock Region" for anyone looking for some real nice hiking options in southern NH. I believe there is a similiar book for the Pioneer Valley (CT river area of MA)

Great reminder than not all hiking is peakkbagging and list-checking. Being "out there" is the meat-and-potatoes. Higher mountains are dessert.

G.

I love hills and mountains of all shapes and sizes. I am sort of an opportunitstic small hill hiker; I often climb relatively little hills when I only have a couple of hours or when I want to split the day and (inwinter) ski the other half of the day. In Pinkham Notch, I have done many a morning hike then spent the afternoon skiing at WIldcat (Imp Face, Doublehead, Great Gulf to the Bluff etc).

Sometimes I use small segments of time to scope out trails for future purposes and get a bit of exercise.

It is also very useful to know the smaller hills if you have young kids and want to get them hiking. Beyond the 4ks, there are many interesting 3ks to learn about, many of which you maight not get to otherwise.and it all beats the horus at the office!!!

A favorite hill walk is the Elwell Trail by Wellington State Park on Newfound Lake. Little Sugarloaf is less than a mile from the trailhead and overlooks the lake. You can continue on the trail past Sugarloaf, Oregon, Bear, Mowglis and Firescrew for 10 miles to Mt. Cardigan over several rolling hills.

Between Sugarloaf and Firescrew I've only seen another hiker once. The trail can be hard to find in places, so I'd bring map and compass if you are looking to do the whole length. A great walk in the woods and hills.

I live in a major city 2 1/2 hours north of the Adirondacks. And yet my office is a 15 min. walk to a 500 foot vertical gain "mountain". I hike or run a 6 mile loop to the summit and back 2 or 3 times a week. I'm either on a dirt road off limits to cars or on a trail overlooking the city the whole time. I love it.

Pine Mtn. off the Dolly Copp Road (I think) is a very short, easy walk with good views of Mt. Wash.

Last Monday Madame Townie & I did Sugarloaf, off the Zealand Road. Check the TR forum for more details.

I think my favorite short hike is East Royce, in Evans Notch. A good one for 4 year olds, short but steep.

I really enjoyed E. Royce also. No flat "runout" on that trail! Must be a tough 4 year old!

percious, the Moosilauke trip was 3 generations, father, brothers, and son. Unfortunately, my father took a major header while skiing a few months ago and broke his shoulder, 9 ribs and punctured a lung.:eek: He's recovering slowly, but probably won't be hiking soon.:( I'd love to get back to the Brace-Alander area. I was looking more at Race and Everett since I haven't done those yet but I'm not too picky. With 5 kids(only 1 avid hiker), getting off is tough but give me a good enough excuse.....
I'm also interested in day hiking or possible overnights on the northern half of the M-S Greenway at some point.
The only VFTT group hikes that I've been able to do were the one day Wapack traverse last April and Monadnock in November. I'd love to do more but most are up north. Something about lists and 4K peaks.:D