Concerning state highpointers and NJ

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Just a heads up, at 1803', the highest point in NJ has a obelisk, much like the one down in Washington ;) that has been closed since 1997 due to it being refurbished. Well, I recently, heard that it is now open to the public, one can enter and climb the 291 stairs to get a pretty nice view from the top. Of course, the monument itself isn't a requirement to bag the high peak, but it's a lot nicer reward than going there when it was closed (which seemed like forever!).

Star ledger article

Jay

Not only good news for highpointers but great news for obelisk-baggers. Hmmm, there's one in DC, one in Bennington, VT and one on High Point, NJ. If you connect all three, they form a straight line. Wonder what Dan Brown would have to say about that? There's got to be a story in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

Holy smokes, that looks like an obelisk in my avatar.

Last edited:
I drove by the one in Bennington on the way to Manchester, can you climb the inside of that one?

Maybe during the vernal equinox, the three oblelisks line up to point at a key waypoint? :)

Jay

Jay H said:
Just a heads up, at 1803', the highest point in NJ has a obelisk, much like the one down in Washington ;) that has been closed since 1997 due to it being refurbished. Well, I recently, heard that it is now open to the public, one can enter and climb the 291 stairs to get a pretty nice view from the top. Of course, the monument itself isn't a requirement to bag the high peak, but it's a lot nicer reward than going there when it was closed (which seemed like forever!).

Star ledger article

Jay

Awesome! I'm on my way!

:D

Well, soon anyway...

I was just in it the other day. It is very nice inside. All new stairs as well as nice information plaques. The views are nice although I still prefere the view from the base. No windows to ubstruct your view.

What, they don't let you free climb the outside so you can stand at the very very tippy top? :D Then you'll have a really nice 360deg view.

Jay

Hmmm, the Greylock War Memorial isn't a true obelisk but it could be a clever disguise. Interestingly, the High Point NJ obelisk appears to be just about evenly spaced between Bennington and DC. Perhaps the site of buried treasure??? How about a VFTT excavation trip? I'm sure the NJ State Park Service would understand and perhaps even assist.

Help!!! I'm being chased ... I've obviously learned too much and now they're out to get me. They're getting closer. This could be it.

Oh ... wait ... it's just Dennis C.'s avatar. :eek:

I'll tell you what's out to get you, Mark. If you get really excited about collecting these state high points, you won't be able to stop until you get them all! And that's an estimated 15K miles of ground travel in the lower 48 alone. It's a blast and a great way to visit all 50 states. Have fun!

Thanks Dennis. I'm planning my next trip for the 1st week in August - MO, IA and IL, which will complete the easternmost 31 for me .. half the country, baby. Then the real work begins! Best list I've ever worked on. :D

....then, after you have visited the state high points, the next list is the state tri-points, for which all of the land-based ones have witness posts of some fashion; probably best to work on these two lists at the same time to save gas!

Well, since High Point is right on the border of PA/NY/NJ, the tripoint for that part is really only a few miles and all downhill from the HP monument! I've driven by it many times on the way to 42 or with Shawn but I've yet to bother to stop and run over to it. Like I need another timesucker.. :)

jay