Considering trying poles next time...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jul said:
I use poles and love them. I have a pair of Leki Makalu - twist-lock w/shock absorbers. Next time I'd buy the ones without the shock absorbers - these ones are noisy. But since mine still function just fine, at least 5 years since purchase, I can't see buying a new pair yet.
Are you aware that the "shock absorbers" can be turned off?

It is in the upper joint. Compress the spring fully and turn clockwise (tighten).

In case anyone is wondering, the "shock absorbers" are just springs with a throw of ~1 inch. IMO, they just give a wobbly connection to the ground. I personally prefer the solid connection of a solid (non-shock absorber) pole.

Doug

I'm mixed on the shock absorbers. I never use them while ascending and occasionally while descending. I think they give a bit of cushion which may (or may not) reduce the impact on the shoulders. Having recovered from patellar-femoral syndrome, I would be in trouble if I hiked without them. I do occasionally stow them for the flat beginning / ending of a trail (such as the North Twin Trail before the crossings)

Tim

I have been using poles for about nine years now (climbed my first 4K 35 years ago) and during summer months I only use them on downhills (though not on every hike) but I use them throughout the hike during the winter. I have found that when I rely on them a lot on a summer downhill, my overall balance is less than optimum. I feel much more in balance without the poles though I let the conditions (wet path, tired legs, heavy pack) dictate whether I use them or not.

I know this is a personal thing but I never use the straps. I find them cumbersome, time consuming and at times, downright dangerous. During a swift winter glissade off of Mt Field, I planted my pole (which firmly lodged between two rocks) and on my next step I was pulled completely off my feet and landed flat on my back, twisting my shoulder in the process. I have not used straps since that day and don’t plan to in the future. I have no problems with a “death grip”; in fact, most of the time I grip the handle with my thumb and forefinger unless I really need to crank down on the pole. YMMV.

JohnL

I wonder if XC skiing impacts how you use your poles. I for sure like the straps, and definitely use them to leverage upper body muscles (including the abs) in ascending, much the way I would while skiing (skating) up a hill. I do find the same wrist-locking-strap action a bit less effective on the downhills, although lengthening the pole by 10cm or more often helps a bit. Or, I find plant points on the side(s) of the treadway (rocks, etc.) which are naturally higher.

As the knees are doing well, I have more-or-less stopped using them on the flats -- I wouldn't bring them out for the Wilderness Trail any longer.

Tim

Like JohnL, I never use the straps either. Didn't like the "dance" I did on them when coming down the Hancocks by myself. I tumbled pretty hard because I was tangled up in them and couldn't let them go. I have taken my straps off and don't miss them, except if I want to hang them up quickly.

JohnL said:
I know this is a personal thing but I never use the straps. I find them cumbersome, time consuming and at times, downright dangerous.
I sometimes use the straps, sometimes not. Depends on the terrain and whether I expect to be using them for a while or just a moment. Straps reduce the fatigue and wear-and-tear on one's hands and wrists but that has to be traded off with a possible sudden need to release the pole.

I have also removed the small trekking baskets because they tend to catch in the brush.

During a swift winter glisade off Mt. Field, I planted my pole (which firmly lodged between two rocks)
Fast downhill is one of the times that I don't use the straps. (Similarly for skiing downhill on narrow trails with brush at the sides.)

I have trained a reflex action: whenever a tip lodges between rocks or gets caught behind a stick, I rapidly move my hand back and pull upward. I haven't broken any poles (yet)...

Doug

DougPaul said:
I have trained a reflex action: whenever a tip lodges between rocks or gets caught behind a stick, I rapidly move my hand back and pull upward.Doug

You're kidding, right? (Excuse me, I hear an alarm going off.)

JohnL

I mostly just carry poles on my pack...just keep 'em strapped there to make myself look like i know what i'm doing. Reality is though that i think i may have used them once on an overnight when my pack load was a little heavier than dayhiking, and maybe one other time when my knee was aching on a descent, but thats really it. i don't even know why i even got poles. they make me awkward. Maybe i'll use them more in winter to snowshoe or something...

I have 5 or 6 sets of poles (Leki and Komperdell), enough so I loan them out to fellow hikers. They have saved me more times than I can count, and I've only damaged 2 of them. One I caught the tip and bent it, so I learned to do like DougPaul mentioned, which has become a reflex action. The other was a set of carbon poles I was using in the winter coming off Owl's Head with a bad knee. I slipped and fell on the pole, which was planted, and shattered it into 4 pieces. I don't use carbon in the winter anymore, and don't use the straps either.

I find them invaluable for jumping across streams and muddy sections and if I left them at home for a hike, I'd either return or buy a new set before I left.

I almost always use poles. On the few hikes where I thought I wouldn't need them, I've regretted it because my legs are more tired on the way up, and my knees bother me on the way down without them. Sometimes on the way down, I'll use just one of the poles so that I have one free hand to grab onto trees. I do this mostly when it's real steep, and more so in the winter when sometimes even two poles doesn't help much on a slippery descent. Trees are your friends on a winter hike.

Poles are leg savers, I like a work out on occasion so I rarely use them in warm seasons on Mondanock or in Southern New England.

Last hike I did without them was Marshall in the ADK's, I left the poles in my car which was 10 miles away at a garage with a hole in the radiator :mad:

(The hike went well & overall the car repairs went well too)

DougPaul said:
I have trained a reflex action: whenever a tip lodges between rocks or gets caught behind a stick, I rapidly move my hand back and pull upward. I haven't broken any poles (yet)...Doug
I finally learned this, and it has saved many poles since.

The straps are important and it helps to spend the money to get a good set, my Black Diamond poles have a very comfortable set of straps.

jniehof said:
I've stopped using poles for summer dayhikes since I got my pack weight down a bit; still use them in winter and on some summer backpacks.

For your issues, though, I'd look at footwear, and potentially orthotics.

I agree with trying to get weight down, but I'm 5'11" and 153 lbs. and I use poles. There is impact associated with hiking and that increases wear and tear on the joints at whatever weight. I hike so much and I still hope to be doing it when I'm 80. That's why I use poles.

I forgot to follow up to say that I ended up with a stress fracture in one of my foot bones (metatarsal I think), so I'm out for a good 4-8 weeks.

That stinks. I'm guessing this, more than any advice in this post, will convince you to make the switch to using poles. It certainly can't hurt to try.

Not sure if you're into winter hiking, but I find it a lot easier on the feet and the knees to be hiking down in snow vs. stumbling over rocks and roots.

Yeah, I actually prefer winter hiking. No bugs, less people, ice-cold water, more impressive summits, and yeah, this is probably one more reason to add.